All Forums
 PowerBook
 PB 150 - powers on, nothing? anybody?
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  17:05:47
Hello - I got a PB 150 for free and would like to give it to someone. It powers on but only gets to a lit-up screen. The hard drive spins for a few second then stops. Is this system dead? (I tried the screen controls, btw.) --Jon

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  22:04:19
Tried resetting the power manager? If not, try turning off the system, and holding down the reset button on the back with a paperclip for 30 seconds. Then try starting back up.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  23:10:18
Thanks very much - I just tried the power manager, but nothing. Still not even a chime when it turns on. I think the computer must be toast. Now I'm trying to figure out if the two batteries it came with still hold any juice. I assume not. Probably just trash it. --Jon

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  09:12:18
Not so fast! Have you downloaded the service manual (google gamba2) and checked for a loose cable? I think the backlight power is a separate connection. Loose cables are the first thing to look for and could probably cause the system hang. We need more specific info on symptoms, like the screen appearance.

Have you got an external HDD or CD-ROM and cable to boot it from for testing? It has an IDE drive, so a replacement should be dirt cheap. What better machine than a free PB to jump into if you've never stripped one down before?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 28 Oct 2003 09:13:17Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  12:36:26
Trash80 is right -- check for loose things, especially the ram card. It is fairly easy for the ram card to work loose in transit. If it does, the system can easily hang, producing the symptoms you describe.

Also, a bad battery can produce a similar result. If the battery (and/or power adapter) is faulty, then the extra juice demanded by the hard drive can cause the supply voltages to dip to the point where the pb crashes. This possibility becomes a probability if you are at least getting a power-on chime when you first turn it on.

Go to Top of Page

l44761
Starting Member

Portugal
1 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  09:12:24
A friend of mine gave me a PB 140 which didn't boot. In my case, I simply removed the battery and it worked (battery failure??).

However, it doesn't detect the HD. I suspect it's dead, because it doesn't vibrate and I don't hear it spinning up. Is it really dead?

Thank you very much in advance! I have already liberated an original SE -- I only started recently :)Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.