68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Changing 950 fan? Quieter possibilities?
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  03:18:22
I noticed a 950 on the local ebay selling with a "Pabst" fan replacement that the owner had installed. I didn't get around to copying the link to send him a letter, but I was wondering if this is a difficult mod to do. My 950, like most I imagine, can be intolerably loud if you sit next to it for any length of time. If there were any way to quiet the monster down, I would most certainly turn it on more often. Any ideas or experience with this one?
Thanks,
Muzhok

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  04:54:24
Try a jet engine from a 747. Ah, nice and quiet.

The fan itself is rather easy to pull out: four screws and a clip. IIRC, it is a 12 V unit. The difficulty would be the size of the thing: you can't exactly grab a free fan from an old Wintel box.

Another thing to try is reversing the direction of air flow. I forget what the standard direction is (into the case or into the power supply), but you may want to put a filter on the back of the case/power supply if you have it blowing into the case -- the power supply will collect a lot of dust otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  21:20:22
Maybe an MDD replacement fan?

I used to live near where the 747's are made

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.