Lounge
 MS JET Database System.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  10:52:07
You might know, that I'm in a visual basic programming class, and the very next chapter in our book, is about a contact management system!

that means i'll personally be using the JET database engine

I'll post more later.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  19:32:37
It's later, and I'm posting a bit more.

I'm going to ask tomorrow probably if we're even doing that chapter in the book (it's got menus, and using a database) and if we're not, I'll just have to bring myself home with a bunch of motivation, and use RealBasic to do that stuff.

I've been thinking about trying to use RealBasic for more things anyway. One thing I've been wanting to try to do with RealBasic, is make a Novell NetWare like system (but better!) that lets you control who uses different computers. I'm actually planning it more for OS7/8/9, but I bet that it can be implemented easily on 3.x/9x as well.

One thing that I'm actually thinking of now for that program, would be for one mac to run a database with all of the users, and their preferrences (so's you can have individual preferrences on any given mac) and then, each of the users on any given workstation connected to, and configured to use a certain server, will type in their name/password and the system will authenticate it.

I'm certain that it's possible, and I've even gotten some great interface ideas, I just need to help myself implement it more.

First, I'm going to see if there's a way I can make multiple programs use one database (an administration, a client, and a server program) and then I need to figure out how to easily make the client do what I want. After that, it's free sailing, just need to make the program that serves it.

The database can *PROBABLY* be run on any given 68k with MySQL, which mean that the server might be an A/UX machine.

Any ideas, comments, questions?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  21:27:43
Hmmm..I wonder why no-one has posted a reply?

Oh right! We hate JETS!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  21:55:20
I'm going to *ASSUME* that that wasn't a stab at anything, and launch right into a bit more details about my idea.

and you shouldn't hate it, just because you outgrew it, it was quite possibly an immature decision to use JET in the first place. :meh:

First, I'll say that RealBasic doesn't use the JET engine (duh) but whatever engine it does use, I'll have to make sure that it can do what I want to do...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

laxx
Starting Member

17 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  04:59:11
actually, a database-driven OS is quite fascinating. One of the earliest incarnation was this OS called PICK Systems, by the creator DICK PICK. Pick was popular in the medical & hospital admin systems, and they were mainly terminal based, Pick is stilled owned by Revelations I think.

Closer to home, BEOS has also a built-in database system. I think the email included in BEOS used the built-in Database.

Regarding the comments made below, I was thinking that maybe it could be easier to run FileMaker Server off a 68k system and let other clients log-on to it, and run useful stuff off it, via TCPIP or Appletalk ?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  06:21:30
I was actually considering just stringing each client off of a FileMaker or MYSQL database, but that doesn't solve my problem of moving the preferrences from the server to any given workstation where a user is logged in.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.