IIci won't boot up
Author Topic  
stimpee
Starting Member

Netherlands
10 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  05:57:11
Hi there,

Not much of a first post, to be asking for help already but I've recently liberated a bunch of macs, (i'll get to that later), and one of them is a IIci. This came with the ram slots full, the 16k cache card and a 3-com ethernet card. I've hooked it up to a small 12" apple monitor (from a liberated LC) but it won't boot. By not booting, i mean no happy mac, no sad mac. I _was_ getting the HD to at least spin up and then hang at a black screen but now when I press the on button at the back right, it just makes a click sound (which i didnt hear til i whipped the top off). Same result with the powerkey on the kb.

I have an external HD, an external CD and CD's and boot floppy to boot from but it wont seem to do engage them. Once in a blue moon it seems to (but that time i forgot to attach the CD-rom). Ive removed the 3-com to take it out of the equation but im still not getting anywhere. I suspect it could be the battery (I hope not).

Can you guys help?

stimpEE

-liberated macs info to come later-

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  07:15:39
Sounds like a dead/dying PSU to me (the click is probably the power supply shutting down). Its also possible that a dying HD, floppy drive, RAM SIMM, etc. could be drawing too much power and making the Mac not boot. You could try unplugging everything but a bit of RAM and see if you at least get the grey screen with flashing question mark. If that works, slowly add stuff back in until it stops working. If that doesn't work, then its either the mobo or the powersupply.

Anybody with more IIci experience know how these systems behave with a dead PRAM batt??

Good luck, welcome to the 68kMLA, and please tell us about your liberation.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  09:01:38
Is the PRAM battery in your LC the same as in your IIci . . . have you tried swapping them yet?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

stimpee
Starting Member

Netherlands
10 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  09:51:57
Thanks people. According to http://www.mac-batteries.com (top of the google search), the LC and the IIci share the same battery and as the LC is just as easy to open as the IIci, I'll cannibalise the battery from that and give it a go.

If that doesnt work, I'll remove the bits one by one but I've already unplugged the HD and removed the network card and no luck. Don't the IIci memory sticks have to be in banks of 4? I'll remove the 4 in bank B anyway, and the 16k cache and try then.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  12:07:00
quote:

the LC and the IIci share the same battery and as the LC is just as easy to open as the IIci

The batter is hard to access in the IIci. You will have to pull out the power supply, then unscrew and remove the drive rack. Unless you are intent on poking around inside, it isn't even worth the trouble because the IIci will boot with a low or no battery.

quote:

If that doesnt work, I'll remove the bits one by one (...) Don't the IIci memory sticks have to be in banks of 4? I'll remove the 4 in bank B anyway, and the 16k cache and try then.

Yeap, banks of 4 and bank A must be filled. Swap the SIMMs from bank A with those from bank B if a bare machine doesn't work -- but I think that the IIci will display a striped screen if the memory is bad (or maybe not, seeming as bank A provides video memory). If you have a NuBus video card, it may be worth while trying to install that in the IIci too (in case the video is gone -- my IIci has flakey video).

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.