All Forums
 Lounge
 My Future Chestnut Tree
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  22:10:16
I was walking and noticed a chestnut tree that had seeds falling. I picked one up and I'm getting a pot tomorow and preparing it for planting.

I've read online about them and they are very hardy trees. If they can survive the first little bit, they can go a long way. Some trees can withstand -39 and bear lots of good fruit. In fact, Chestnut trees will grow back from the crowns after it has been cut down.

So I'm doing this as my small project cause I have a love for nature so I'd liketo grow a tree. Growing a tree is so much fun. It offers a long term reward and I'm looking forward to it.

For the next few months the seedling will be ok in my room getting light from a small growlight I have (A special lightbulb for indoor plants) but after a few months and I have saved up I intend to get a small growlight using Halogen for the litle guy. Eventually when he/she is old enough to be planted somewhere, then I will find someone who would like to have a nice tree.

Who knows maybe this tree will be famous one day. You always hear about certian trees being famous iether by being really old or by being in a certian area. (Like a tourist attraction where all the tourists want to get thier photo taken at this one tree.)

I have a small Cactus and Aloe plant in my window right now, I gotta remember actualy to water them tonight. I'm hoping if next summer I treat them good maybe the Cactus will bloom. It's rare but it would be so fun if it did. :)

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  22:12:19
sounds like much fun. really? they'll grow back? that's neat!
hehhehehe

THndwadgfdz
"NO! that's WRONG! DO IT AGAIN!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  06:13:11
Good luck with the green thumb there! if lucky, I suppose that it could be possible that you'd be famous, so take pictures

that is pretty cool, that it'll grow back, and that you're giving back to the environment, makes you a better person as well.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  16:40:22
And your parents ask "just WHAT do you think you are going to do with that growlight?"

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  17:57:21
They know it will be for the trees. I think raising trees is fun.

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  18:22:54
Cool. It's not a horse chestnut or Ohio buckeye is it? Because those are inedible.

A little tip for your aloe: They don't like to be watered at the root. They like mist. If you mist every day and set it outside in a sunny spot during months when there's no dew, one day it might even bloom. I got one to bloom last year, but sadly I had to give it up. Now I just have a little one, but maybe someday it will be big enough to bloom too.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.