All Forums
 Lounge
 open office
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  11:13:31
Has anyone tried OpenOffice 1.1 for Mac os X?
http://www.openoffice.org/
I have downloaded it and am currently running it on an Intel Based linux box, as well as Windows 2000 box. Was wondering about OS X. It says one needs to install x11. I do not have much experience with this and was wondering if it works well.

And I also wanted to let everyone know that we can run Office for free! thats right Open Office is a free office suite. You have the ability to save out .doc files, as well as PDFs. . .and many many more. I have used it and it is beautiful. . .and free!

Was wondering inf anyone else has used it, and what they think.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 20 Oct 2003 11:17:52

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  12:06:08
99% of the world uses microsoft office of which I bet more then half is pirated (so thats free).

Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  13:45:25
quote:
99% of the world uses microsoft office of which I bet more then half is pirated (so thats free).

Yes, but I bet, that OpenOffice doesn't suck as bad

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  14:17:02
Open office does not suck as much as MS Office. For one, the installation is very painless, not as many little parts to it. Like in MS Office, you might forget to install a mod for something, then if you need it, you would need to install it from the disc. Oh yeah, and its free. Yes, I figure that 50% of MS Office users have it pirated, so why not download open office and have a few less pirated programs. Thats what I did. guess its worth a little peace of mind.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 20 Oct 2003 14:17:33Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  15:08:45
Yeah. I hear that Opnen Office is pretty good these days, being able to work with MS Word files and that. Never given it a try, though. Maybe I'll have to go over there and see how big it is for downloading.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  15:09:46
My only complaint with MS office is the bloat. I understand why its bloated because they have to sell you another verion every year or so so they just add features you mostly dont use.

Openoffice is ok if your doing the very basics of each app. The spreadsheet cant do all the scientific things excel can do and still be 100% excel compatible.

I dont like free apps for a few reasons. Since the company doesnt make any money giving the app away they really dont have the people in place to support it. So in a work environment if you have a bug your shit out of luck. If you have a product you cant move even if its free I say you have a product not worth having.

If its not 100% compatible with 99% of the other people you need to communicate with then why bother. I dont like having to do extra work.

You can always buy older versions of office cheap and know newer versions can read the files if your worried about pirated software.

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  15:33:53
quote:
I dont like free apps for a few reasons. Since the company doesnt make any money giving the app away they really dont have the people in place to support it. So in a work environment if you have a bug your shit out of luck. If you have a product you cant move even if its free I say you have a product not worth having.

You can buy the proprietary version of OpenOffice, StarOffice, from Sun, and get 24-hour telephone support. At $75, it's a steal compared to the gouged prices of MS Office.

And if everyone thinks like you, things'll never change. You gotta start somewhere, unless you wanna be led like lambs to the slaughter.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  15:58:43
I read a few weeks ago. . .and most of the information is now escaping me, but I believe Massachusetts or another east coast state of the US has just siged something into law stating that it will start prefering the use of Open Source applications over other proprietary stuff in its educational and governmental institutions. Lemme see if I can dig up the article, it's interesting though. . .government getting in on Open Source. . .sketchy, searching for intentions, but still interesting.

Unknown. . .I have not used the spreadsheet app, or most of the other apps that come with it, so maybe my first post was unqualified. I have mostly been using the "word" type application and have found it a pleasure to use. I will use the rest and give you a more thoughrough review.

---just perused through the drawing, spreadsheet, presentation and html program. I did find limitations in most, but nothing that can't be worked around. . .for my purposes.

I dunno, its free, it works for me. I am not an intense excel user. . .I use it mostly for scheduling, and some light economic stuff for our office. I could see that doing databases and such might be a bit more difficult for the spreadsheet program on OO (open office) because of the stuff that excel has for Access and other databases.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  16:51:37
Just downloaded OpenOffice. 'Course, i d/led the OS X version, so i can't see how good it is till i get home to the iMac at the end of the week.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  18:33:41
Is this the OSX native version? I was using the X11 version for so very long, and I must say that the X11 version, running on OSX, is the slowest P.O.S. I've ever used (and that's NOT Point of Sale)

Not only does it take forever to load, but the cursors change and junk when you're moving between OSX and OpenOffice, and the way it works, it takes up your whole screen.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  19:00:53
quote:
And if everyone thinks like you, things'll never change. You gotta start somewhere, unless you wanna be led like lambs to the slaughter.

Speaking of lambs to the slaughter, there's some information at
http://www.eff.org/Infra/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php
that shows how far Micro$oft is willing to try and go to shackle us to their products.Go to Top of Page
Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  20:16:21
Most of the DRM talk is coming from music and movie companies wanting to keep users from ripping/burning/spreading their copyrighted material. Those same companies wanted to DRM all new hard drives, it wasnt just a software aproach.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  06:07:31
Would those hard drives be macintosh incompatible?

Apple would never do that to us in OSX would they???

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  07:07:15
They would if they had to.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  07:30:21
The deal was all drive manufacturers had to do it to be effective and a few said no so it went nowhere.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  10:05:35
:phew: I knew that my Western Digital would never fail me!

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.