68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 My room is too noisy, and portrait displays.
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  20:58:15
So my room is pretty noisy - what with a 950, 8100, 605-with-the-fan-in-backwards-cos-it-cools-the-overclocked-full-040-better-but-whines-while-it-does-so, and a 630 running all the time.

I turned them all off today cos I wanted some soft bassy mp3's playing for a little bit... and STILL something was buzzing.

I've had this portrait display for a month now, and only just realised the thing has a fan inside it!.

dana (discovery is fun)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  21:39:03
quote:

I've had this portrait display for a month now, and only just realised the thing has a fan inside it!.

dana (discovery is fun)

Have you set your portrait next to another monitor? My portrait's RFI gives my intellicolor 20 the jitters at 640x480 and I get a rolling shadow-line from bot2top at 1152x870.

DamnBetcha! discovery's fun!

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  21:47:08
quote:

Have you set your portrait next to another monitor? My portrait's RFI gives my intellicolor 20 the jitters at 640x480 and I get a rolling shadow-line from bot2top at 1152x870.

yes :) - it's next to a 640x480 14", which shudders away when it's on - though the portrait stays rock solid (oh it's beautiful...). It gives the imac's screen a slow 'wave' too, at 1024x768, even from 3 feet away.

I wonder if lining the inside of the imac's case with aluminium foil would give it a funky shiny effect... and stop that too.

dana (making stuff is fun too)

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:12:47
put a peice of cardboard wrapped in at least 2 layers of tinfoil between the monitors (ie tape it to the side of one)

It'll get rid of the jitters.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:15:59
quote:

I wonder if lining the inside of the imac's case with aluminium foil would give it a funky shiny effect... and stop that too.

dana (making stuff is fun too)

I'm going to fab a galvanized hood (grounded) for the 20 to replace the cardboard/vinyl graphic coverd hood on it now. Faraday was no fool!

Three feet away, hugh? Who cares! Damn, that tiny text is razor sharp! And the drive/folder/app icons are drop-dead gorgeous in grayscale on it.

jt

btw: check the Maquarium thread, I posted links for marchie's 2-page tank hack, but a couple of the other tanks have menubar/desktop icons on the glass like you had mentioned. I'll go back and edit in the direct links to them so you won't have to load the forever-and-a-day-page on dialup.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:18:44
quote:

put a peice of cardboard wrapped in at least 2 layers of tinfoil between the monitors (ie tape it to the side of one)

It'll get rid of the jitters.

~Marchie

I just typed in your handle and, shazzam, you appear like magic!
check six, comrade!
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:21:24
quote:

That could work well with the portrait - it's got big recessed flat sides... if I could have it running next to the linux server, and both on - I'll be a happy lady.

and the monitor goes "foiled again"

and I smack it for making bad puns

dana :D

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:44:10
quote:

btw: check the Maquarium thread, I posted links for marchie's 2-page tank hack, but a couple of the other tanks have menubar/desktop icons on the glass like you had mentioned.

I saw!. Quicktime icon down the bottom and all :). A niceish display... look-at-the-fish-kind, not monitor.

hrm. both really. y'know what I mean

:D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  22:54:56
quote:

quote:

btw: check the Maquarium thread, I posted links for marchie's 2-page tank hack, but a couple of the other tanks have menubar/desktop icons on the glass like you had mentioned.

I saw!. Quicktime icon down the bottom and all :). A niceish display... look-at-the-fish-kind, not monitor.

hrm. both really. y'know what I mean

check out this direct link to the plexi fab details on the big monitor conversion, love it!
http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/MacQuarium%2020%20-%20Day%203.html

jt

p.s. if my portrait dies it'll have fish in before ....... MacWatercooler or icechest for beer might be interesting tho........
MacWineInABox dispenser? * nah!*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 22:59:11Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:05:06
I noticed it too, when I had a Color Classic and the monitor of an LC 2 right next to each other. I was gonna nab a microwave casing to act as a shield, but the foil could work too...

I heard that it's due to differences in the refresh rates of the monitors.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:20:11
quote:

When I set a couple of my phones on top on the 20's hood, I get a patch of discoloration on the screen underneath them. seems like just about any kind of rfi has an affect. don't know about the jitters, but the rolling shadow line seems like a scanline version of a moire pattern to me. *great, now gonna hafta play with sync rates to see if roll rate changes ..... should be doing the billing, but . . . . f****t, it's playtime!*

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  01:21:30
quote:

That's the bit I'd suspect too, for the rolling. Like a couple of smaller waves slightly out of sync making one (or a few) big ripples when they mix n affect each other

quote:

When I set a couple of my phones on top on the 20's hood, I get a patch of discoloration on the screen underneath them. seems like just about any kind of rfi has an affect.

Thats them magnets doing a few things 'pparently... pulling the 'leccy beams around, making the shadow mask a little different magnetically (which pulls the 'leccy beams around a bit more) and physically pulling on the shadow mask, distorting it and... effectively making the 'leccy beams hit the wrong spot.

Or something like that.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  05:53:26
quote:

. . . . . the rolling. Like a couple of smaller waves slightly out of sync making one (or a few) big ripples when they mix n affect each other

great *lot better'n mine!* image, poet too? have you ever played with the effects of out of sync screens on a couple of sheets of graphics arts film *almost said kodalith! good catch this time, dummy!* Interference patterns rock! * ooh, boats-waves . . .nah!*
quote:

Thats them magnets doing a few things 'pparently... pulling the 'leccy beams around, making the shadow mask a little different magnetically (which pulls the 'leccy beams around a bit more) and physically pulling on the shadow mask, distorting it and... effectively making the 'leccy beams hit the wrong spot.

Or something like that.

zakly, jus'lik'leccy-mags onna'@$$ end! mags'fecta'trinitron 2?
jt

discom

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  06:06:31
quote:

great *lot better'n mine!* image, poet too? have you ever played with the effects of out of sync screens on a couple of sheets of graphics arts film *almost said kodalith! good catch this time, dummy!* Interference patterns rock! * ooh, boats-waves . . .nah!*

ooh now. there was stuff the older printer guys used at one place I worked which did that - screens for like, halftones n all

quote:

zakly, jus'lik'leccy-mags onna'@$$ end! mags'fecta'trinitron 2?
jt

kinda. I dunno! trinitrons do the funky wave thing when you whap 'em tho :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  06:18:34
quote:

ooh now. there was stuff the older printer guys used at one place I worked which did that - screens for like, halftones n all

zakly! stretch 2 different weave-count *denier* pattern semi-opaque-but-not-too-translucent fabrics on frames, place f2f, hold up to light, scootch 'em around 'n voila! moire playtime!

thx, btw, us old geezers love bein' reminded of our infirmities!
quote:

kinda. I dunno! trinitrons do the funky wave thing when you whap 'em tho :D

funsies! my 20's a trinitron doin' the portrait/undulation thing right now, was just curious 'bout the phone mags on top of it/greenish patch syndrome.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 Feb 2002 06:19:10

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 Feb 2002 06:24:24Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  06:26:45
quote:

funsies! my 20's a trinitron doin' the portrait/undulation thing right now, was just curious 'bout the phone mags on top of it/greenish patch syndrome.

yes! that'd be the magnets in the phone. put the earpiece n voicepiece to the monitor and go wheeeee!

no don't. I dunno about trinitrons, but it messes up shadowmasks for a fair while!.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  06:54:32
quote:

yes! that'd be the magnets in the phone. put the earpiece n voicepiece to the monitor and go wheeeee!

no don't. I dunno about trinitrons, but it messes up shadowmasks for a fair while!.

wheeeeeeeee! light-show-playtime! maggie in in earpiece, outta sight on trinitron! But Portrait does WAAAAAY cool 2 axis belly-dance to aural stimulation! *horrible pun! but jus'gotta leave it!* try it, you'll like it!

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  10:12:56
all this talking 'bout portrait displays is making me sad (*ahem* Marchie )

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 11 Feb 2002 10:13:12Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.