All Forums
 Lounge
 Everyone must read this!
Author Topic  
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  18:37:02
If you use a PC at all, you must read this! Be sure to post it to every board you know of. The word must get out!

http://www.eff.org/Infra/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  00:47:49
SHIAT! I had an idea that it might've had something to do with Palladium...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  08:33:49
Yep. Looks like that's exactly what it is. Here's Micro$oft's take on things:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/jul02/0724palladiumwp.asp

That's what they want you to believe. They only hint at the more sinister aspects of this "Palladium" thing.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  16:03:32
Thats Mordor$oft for you i guess...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  18:10:16
"..........."

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  18:25:57
quote:

"..........."

I concur.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  18:52:12
You guys gotta post this to all the other boards you know, because if Microsoft, Intel, AMD, etc. find out enough people get wind of this, they won't go through with it.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  19:15:03
Really makes me glad I am switching to unix based machines.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  19:59:45
This is nuts. I shall when i get back from my exam.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  21:11:51
rrrgh... I BROUGHT THIS UP MONTHS AGO!!!! you people don't listen very well do you... YOU ALL THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY! (about this particular subject, not everything else) but you see?!!?! it's HAPPENING! say goodbye to your privacy and free will! also, be prepared to shell out 800$ every time microsoft decides to change a button in windows and call it a new version. VIVE LA RESISTANCE! stockpile your old computers, for big bad microsoft is watching YOU! heck, windows allready sends every document you save in word to microsoft (hook an un-bias packet sniffer between your router and your DSL or cable connection... you'll see it... -mac with 2 nubus ethernet cards will suffice-) one more thing, microsoft has proposed a new protocol for the internet. basically microsoft monnitored TCPIP. they control what goes in the internet. they can buy laws... THEY COULD VERY WELL RULE THE WORLD RIGHT NOW! -ok I know, paranoia, but still...-

RRGH! YOU IGNORANT FSCKWADS!

thdnflgnhbdvbnj
"FRUNKING EVERYHTING"

stockpie old hardware... create a beowulf cluster... CRASH THE MICROSOFT SERVERS!

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  07:09:09
I stopped acquiring copyrighted materials... tough to have the C of DMCA when nothing is 'C'opyrighted.

Mac+=4,
MacSE=1,
MacSE30=2,
P400=1,
PB520c=1,
Q650=1,
UberQ950=1,
PM7500=SQRT(-1)

Edited by - dunbar on 21 Oct 2003 07:10:14Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  10:06:58
That's DMA, and we all know about DMA dont' we??? ;)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  15:37:15
How long are people going to ignore this? It's even been mentioned on the news quite a few times.

Nick

(Wake up, Neo... The Matrix has you...)

-------------------------
Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····
·A2:2
·68k: 7
·Contraband(PPC):1
·They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named(x86): 7
·Other Systems:2Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  16:07:23
people are ignorant...

I=B^2
B=H
I=S^0
if S < 2 then H = H + 1 else END

mu ha ha! basic program! simple, innefective, but it gets the point across.

THlknvbdcvb
"booooooga BOOOOOGA!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  18:13:31
It's not like I was being ignorant. This is the first I've heard of this. Sometimes I'm just busy when the news is on and don't catch some things.Go to Top of Page
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  18:15:35
Here's a site that's declared war on TCPA:

http://www.againsttcpa.com/

I put a banner on my webiste. I'm probably the only one that will see it, though :-sGo to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  01:46:56
Yup, I'm goingt to dual-boot XP and Linux pretty soon.

_r
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  19:42:30
quote:

It's not like I was being ignorant. This is the first I've heard of this. Sometimes I'm just busy when the news is on and don't catch some things.

I like that quote, It displays my life.

In the past few months, whenever I've told anyone about anything, I've been chewed out by people, because "It's old news"

I don't like it when people do that, especially without knowing maybe, why someone didn't know..

For example, I don't visit apple's website, or any other enws/mac news website daily, so I wouldn'tve found out there.
Noone posted about it on the 68kMLA, and Highway I didn't visit
and I wasn't online the night before.

That example comes from today, I was chewed out because I didn't know about the iBook G4 until nearly 36 hours after it's realease. I was at volleyball practice last night, and obviously, wasn't at apple's site, or any other site that would have had it.

<end MicroRant™>

Other than that, I obviously dont' check the news and stuff like that, because I have NO IDEA where the term "TCPA" came from, and for all I know, it could be several years old....

I do know this:
Quite frankly, I've been hearinng about DMCA, and a bunch of other 4-Letter organizations and acts for quite awhile now, and it got old several months ago. I've been using a macintosh, and from what I hear, DMCA impacts WIndows users the most.

What I would like to know:
In three sentences or less, what is DMCA, who started it, and what is it's goal?
In three sentences or less, what is TCPA, who started it, and what is it's goal?
However long it takes, is there anything else I, as a computer user, or someone who does use Windows should be aware of? For each concept, three sentences or less, about the same format as above should do.

That will clear alot of air, and help loads with some confusion that may be runnin' round

Thanks in Advance.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  10:01:23
I know how you feel. Between all the IRC stuff I'm trying to cram into my brain right now and other projects like the 12v 30A power supply, there's not much room for news. :-(

I know it's more than 3 sentences, but here's a quote from the againsttcpa.com website:

quote:
TCPA stands for Trusted Computing Platform Alliance. For the technology we will speak from TCP (The trusted computing platform). This plans that every computer will have a TPM (Trusted Platform Module), also known as Fritz-Chip, built-in. At later development stages, these functions will be directly included into CPUs, graphiccards, harddisks, soundcards, bios and so on. This will secure that the computer is in a TCPA-conform state and that he checks that it's always in this state. This means: On the first level comes the hardware, on the second comes TCPA and then comes the user. The complete communication works with a 2048 bit strong encryption, so it's also secure enough to make it impossible to decrypt this in realtime for a longer time. This secures that the TCPA can prevent any unwanted software and hardware. The long term result will be that it will be impossible to use hardware and software that's not approved by the TCPA. Presumably there will be high costs to get this certification and that these would be too much for little and mid-range companies. Therefore open-source and freeware would be condemned to die, because without such a certification the software will simply not work. In the long term only the big companies would survive and could control the market as they would like.

If you just follow the link I posted above and click on "What is TCPA?" link in the left toolbar, you'll get the full definition.

Here is the definition of the DMCA:

quote:
The DMCA makes is a crime to "circumvent" copyright protection systems. Here is the language:

`Sec. 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems
`(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that--

Computer Scientists can no longer research software to ensure it provides adequate protection.

Once again, if you just follow the link: http://anti-dmca.org/, they have all the information you need.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  10:04:12
ok, thanks. (I'll note that I'm bad at following links)

From what I can tell (and I actually read a bid of other stuff on DMCA as well, the DMCA makes it illegal almost even to touch computers...

It seems pretty evil, and with the addition of TCPA, we may as well start upgrading the Abacus SSW.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  10:12:10
quote:
I've been using a macintosh, and from what I hear, DMCA impacts WIndows users the most.

I wouldn't bank on it. 8 years ago, it seemed unlikely that Macs would ever implement ATA hard drives. Now that's about all they use. That's because that was just the direction the whole computing industry was going. This is the direction the computing industry will go if nobody is there to check their hand. It's just too tempting for a for-profit software company, no matter what the platform, to use in order to "maximize profits". My guess is that Apple will wait out and see if this DMCA stalls in the PC market and then if it takes off, they will adopt it in their own hardware and software.

You know it's just too tempting for a company like Apple, who likes to force upgrades on you, to not use it. It's not like the hardware won't work in a Mac. About the only thing that separates a Mac from a PC these days is the CPU. Just about every other component could easily be found in a PC. ATA controllers, maybe the PCI or ATX controller, the RAM is the same, etc. It wouldn't be that hard to wire in a Fritz-Chip.

~
The Lightning StalkerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.