All Forums
 Lounge
 Network Bliss
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  03:01:09
I've been trying to get some sort of Nirvana happening in my computing life and servers. The good news is that I believe after all this time I have peace.

Thanks to the trade with Kami, I have an Uber cool Router which has a very fun set of toys, one of which is the ability to re-route ports. So for example, I could run 2 web servers behind the router, one at port 80, another at port 81..and the router can let me use the internal port 81 as the external port 80..Kinda nice if you run a small webserver for local use and don't want to bother typing in the port number, while outside users are auto-magically routed in and out of the ports with no problems to the port 81 server,a nd they don't have to type the port because to the outside world, it's really port 80.

My 8600 has found life as a server to be most rewarding, since it now runs a web server, AppleShare IP, Hotline and other tools. (I can ever remote control it using Timbuktu, how cool is that? No monitor neded!)

I'm getting everything ready for when I open the doors to my Tempest Server. It's been so long since anyone has worked on that project because iether people are insanely busy or other factors are involved.

If all goes well and the machines on the network behave as they should, then things will be much closer to my end goal. The only one minor thing left is to get proper cooling inside the Mac for that 7200RPM drive, it's enough to fry an egg kid you not.

So if everything work out, you will see webpages start to pop up as folks start requesting free pages. (I made a decision a while back to do this on donation basis, so basically folks get a free site and if they donate I give them some extra goodies)

The target amount of space the machine will have is 8-9GB so to get the 500 clients I am alloted I think 5MB per user is a safe option with more space and freedom coming if a person decides to donate a bit. (If a person donates I was thinking of increasing thier space to maybe 10-15MB and giving them a real url like yourname.domain.com instead of domain.com/yourname plus whatever other goodies I can think of)

Suggestions? Ideas? I don't bite. Seriously.

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  23:01:39
What kind of router is it?

I dont think that you'll have a problem hitting your storage goals

--Eric

Edited by - redrouteone on 16 Oct 2003 23:02:20Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  06:33:51
Nice, I'm needing to do some server-related junk soon as well. This would include getting multiple ethernet cards and setting it up to be the router, becuase our other one is borked out. Then I'd need to set it to host on port 80 for my own network, and for the external network. If the net connection is of the right type, I'll buy a domain and set it up as an eMail server as well, probably. (just think... about going to www.genecomp.net )

For remote controlling, I've been thinking about the admin tools, and about VNC (which is more likely to become my choice, if I absolutely need remote adminning.)

I haven't determined if i was going to try to 'impose' some kind of disc space limit, so far as I've seen, I "yeah"

cool about getting things working, and good luck keeping it that way in the future

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.