Mac II Line
 IIsi FPU and Hard Drive Problems
Author Topic  
AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  15:24:38
Does anyone know how I can get one? On my ethernet card (a PDS Asante MacCON 30ie, to be exact) there is a empty chip socket, which I suspect may be for the FPU.

Also, you have read of the IBM internal hard drive I installed (160mb,model WDS-3160S, SCSI ID 6) on which the computer simply refuses to boot from it will boot off the external 150meg LaCie Tsunami with no problems. If I choose through the Startup Disk control panel to start from the internal, and the external is on, it will start from the external, if I choose to start from the internal with the external off, then I will get the the typical Welcome to Macintosh, then before extensions load, I am met with a bomb error of either type 82 (if I remember correctly) or a bus error (the second time I tried starting from the internal, this time with extensions off). Any recommendations as to what I could do?

aka kewlaid
What? You need to write something here???
<END OF TRANSMISSION>

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  15:36:13
quote:

Does anyone know how I can get one? On my ethernet card (a PDS Asante MacCON 30ie, to be exact) there is a empty chip socket, which I suspect may be for the FPU.

Should be on a ci or fx, mobo, the 16MHz parts from a II, IIx, or SE/30 ought to be ok at 20MHz, is the pin count right for the 68882? Maybe the FPU on marchie's fried /30 survived. I don't know if the parts are socketed or soldered on any of the machines. The NuBus adapter for the si should have one on board, if it's socketed, get one of those for future use and borrow the '882 from it.
jt
btw: Know anybody with a ROM burner, Marchie?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 15:40:02Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  23:28:58
quote:

Sorry, I'm not sure about the hard drive, but I would agree that the empty PLCC socket would be for a 68882 FPU.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  21:29:40
I do believe that the 68882 FPU on the IIfx and the IIci are soldered onto the motherboard...somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, if you're really hurting for an FPU for your IIsi for whatever reason, Apple made a PDS->NuBus adapter for the IIsi. If you don't have a NuBus card, don't wory because on the board is a *ta-da!* 68882 FPU. If you have that card, then your IIsi will automatically take advantage of it's FPU.

About that HD: I've found out that internal SCSI drives are best served when they're jumped to ID 0 (assuming you have no other internal SCSI drives). After the internal drive is jumped to 0, jump your external drive to something like 1 or 2 (and terminate the external, of course - assuming you have no other external SCSI devices). That *should* work.

Report back after you've tried it.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  22:28:06
quote:

I do believe that the 68882 FPU on the IIfx and the IIci are soldered onto the motherboard...somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are definitely half right(!)

My IIci Has the soldered-in-68882. If you were desperate and unsoldered it somehow it looks like it might fit in a socket if you wedged it a bit

dana

Go to Top of Page

AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  17:52:40
Actually, I'm more concerned with the faulty hard drive. I don't have a manual for it and there seems to be no sets of jumpers that meet the description of setting SCSI IDs.

No. of Macs Liberated: 1
No. of Macs: 3
No. of PCs Scrapped: 2
<END OF TRANSMISSION>Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  19:47:14
quote:

quote:

You are definitely half right(!)

My IIci Has the soldered-in-68882. If you were desperate and unsoldered it somehow it looks like it might fit in a socket if you wedged it a bit

dana

I poked around the inside of my (dead) IIfx and found that the processor and 68882 FPU are not soldered onto the mobo - instead they are removable, much like the 68040 processor. So, I removed the FPU to see if it would fit into the FPU socket of my LC III. No dice - it would just jiggle around a bit in the socket - not a nice clean fit.

(just FYI, of course )

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  19:58:27
quote:

Actually, I'm more concerned with the faulty hard drive. I don't have a manual for it and there seems to be no sets of jumpers that meet the description of setting SCSI IDs.

try checking here:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/wds3160/wds31tek.htm

hey, fw, is the 68882 a dip or pga or the "drop in the socket dish with the contacts all around the sides thingie" type package? (technicaly astute eh? the name escapes me)

jt

p.s. i looked at our website quickly and couldn't spot the ibm link, is there a good way for us to all annotate our favorite links, pool them, and have the comments searchable on our site. google is nice, but recommendations from people who have actually made use of real info somewhere seems preferable to bot droppings to my way of thinking. is there a bookmark management package that we could use and then make selections/upload the data files. if dana has had problems with long lost bookmarks, i don't feel so bad about my problems in that regard, but it seems like there has to be a better way.

just rambling . . . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Feb 2002 20:10:49Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  20:05:33

There's the jumper settings for your drive...I know on my IBM drive (540 MB DALS-3540) the jumpers are on the edge of that little board thingy opposite to the power and SCSI connections...but on other drives the jumpers are right on the board...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  20:08:45
quote:

quote:

try checking here:

hey, fw, is the 68882 a dip or pga or the "drop in the socket dish with the contacts all around the sides thingie" (technicaly astute eh? the name escapes me)?

jt

damn, jt! you outposted me by 2 minutes!

*note to self-refresh topic 2 times before posting*

well, my LC III needs a "drop in the socket dish with the contacts all around the sides thingie"...but the 68882 FPU from my IIfx looked just like a mini '040, the way the pins were at least (don't know quite what that's called)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  20:21:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

try checking here:

hey, fw, is the 68882 a dip or pga or the "drop in the socket dish with the contacts all around the sides thingie" (technicaly astute eh? the name escapes me)?

jt

damn, jt! you outposted me by 2 minutes!

*note to self-refresh topic 2 times before posting*

well, my LC III needs a "drop in the socket dish with the contacts all around the sides thingie"...but the 68882 FPU from my IIfx looked just like a mini '040, the way the pins were at least (don't know quite what that's called)

i think you're describing a Pin Grid Array-PGA, but i've kinda given up on chip package nomenclature, things have gotten way too wierd, it's unnatural for ic's not to have legs that go into sockets or into thru-holes in the mobo.

i had bookmarked the link the first time cine' posted it when i was a green recruit. i like being able to search in the edit bookmarks window. let me know what you think of the suggestion above.

what do you mean by self-refresh, i'm constantly copying my posts as i type them because i've lost so many to refresh voodoo, what are the tricks for posting, a howto on the ins-n-outs and tips-n-tricks of the forums would be really excellent.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  20:48:42
quote:

what do you mean by self-refresh

whups, this is what I meant to type:

"Note to self: refresh thread page at least 2 times before posting"

did that clear things up?

Hmm, I knew there was a IBM hard drive jumper settings link somewhere 'round these forums, but I decided that browsing IBM's site would be quicker than trying to find it here (that says something about the size of our forums...)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  16:31:46
My IIsi is being sold for Parts as of now.

I have a PDS->Nubus adapter with the FPU, so if you want it AppleCore, e-mail Marchie@mac.com

You have a week to claim it, or I post it in the Tradeing Post.

I will also check the size/type/health of any socketed FPUs I have in various parts boxes I have. I might have one for you, for the cost of shipping.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  10:12:57
Changed the SCSI ID to 0, the problem persists. What can I do now?

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  10:20:07
Those old IBM drives that Apple used as OEM's are crap. They don't have any jumpers to set, and they're just a pain to work with. I've had at least 3 of those that have gone dead, one was originally in my Quadra 840av, one was originally in a 7100, the other my ColorClassic. You can try doing a clean format of it, but more than likely, it's toast.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  14:42:40
Well, this one did have jumpers to set and other than booting, it works perfectly.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  09:40:58
I'm sorry, I meant it doesn't have jumpers other than the ID's.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.