All Forums
 Lounge
 Argh back to windows.
Author Topic  
redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  20:48:34
The fan in the Power Supply in my G3 went out. Causing it to over heat and crash after about 30 min. I'll get a new powersupply at work tomorrow but until then I'm stuck with windows. After using a OS X for nearly a month I must say XP sucks. It is the little things that once I got used to them just make any thing else seem awkard. Looks like I've been hooked.

--Eric

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  20:55:40
Ick. What sort of G3 is it? If you have a Beige G3, yank the PSU out of your PC, switch the jumper on the G3 mobo from "MAC" to "PS2", plug in the ATX PSU, and get back to work!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  21:40:15
It is a B&W G3. I can use a ATX PS but I have to cut the -5V wire. I would pull the PS out of the P4 but I am very anal when it comes to neatness of wires and it would take me about 30 min to pull out the power supply and a 30 min to put the new one in. And I would just have to replace it anyway so I'll just have to get by until tomorrow. Plus I would rather rather have the new PS in the G3.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  06:14:38
I also believe that cleanliness inside of computers is a very important thing. Personally, I love the way the G3's case is designed, as far as being 'clean' with wires on the inside, but just as all computers, it has LOADS of places that are literally inviting dust bunnies and the like to come and live, until the owner decides to completely rebuild it. (I would have already rebuilt mine, I need to replace the handle, but I dont' have the silly little tool that you'd need in order to take off the handles and sidepanels. And that is where the bulk of the grime on my machine has hidden itself. If I lived in WA, i would have the tool, and probably would have no problem bathing the parts in the bathtub, because that really is what my machine needs. (all the non-computer parts, that is...)

good luck getting and using the new PSU!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  23:03:33
Well I got the new PS put. in. So glad to be back in Mac land. In other news I made a deal on a DVD-RAM drive today. Traded a 16MB ATI video for it. I should hopefully have it in a week. I don't know any of the specs but I know that it came from a G4. Now all I need to do is get a faster CPU and I'll have one kick ass smurf.

--Eric

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  23:37:35
Cool!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.