All Forums
 Lounge
 SGI is coming!
Author Topic  
q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  17:17:12
I am getting an SGI! It is going to be an Indigo2 R10000. The specs are 195 MHz, 256 MB RAM, and a 4 GB hd. It should be getting here in about a week. It is a true 64 bit machine and was sold as late as May 1997. I am under the impression that it cost around $10,000 when it was new, and I only paid 65 plus shipping on it. Makes you think twice before buying that shiny new car or computer, huh? I think it is one of the best looking machines that SGI made, on par with some of Apple's awesome case designs. I am going to use it for software development and practicing my UNIX skills on. Hopefully someday I can get a video input board to fill the void of the loss of my telecast. I dont have it yet so I have to post pics I found on the web. I will keep everyone updated and post pics when it gets here. Thanks to everyone who bought stuff so I could help fund it. BTW, all of the stuff in those listings is still up for grabs.

Theses show exactly what my setup will look like, except with a different mouse. Everything including KB, monitor and case are the same.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/1_system.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/indigo2.jpg

Here are the ebay pics of the actual machine that I won.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/mySGI.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/mySGI2.jpg

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBook

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  17:40:14
Sounds nice!

Btw, those links don't work for me.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  18:01:59
Phat! Enjoy yer SGI!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  18:08:24
COOL!!!

I've wanted an SGI forever

have fun with 'almost 200MHz' 64-bit goodness

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  14:00:59
Which video option?

Congrats!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  19:18:49
It is going to come with the Solid Impact graphics set to begin with but later once I get comfortable with it I might add a High Impact or Max Impact in addition to the Solid and make it a dual monitor machine. What would be really cool would be to get the LCD shutter glasses so I could do 3D on it, but I dont plan on that anytime soon. But more realistic would be the video input. Maybe this will be my "windows replacement machine", not quite a 68k liberation, but liberation from windows. Hey, I have an idea, for a couple of weeks while I am testing it, I can open it up to connections and I can let some of the MLAers terminal into so they can experience the "Indigo Magic" for themselves. Yes, SGI really does call it Indigo Magic. BTW, I found an SGI specsheet the machine as a whole and I am posting it here. ML5, email me if the pics still dont work. Cory, I know how you feel, I knew I wanted a unix machine to fool around with and then I started looking around at them and then I just got the bug and I knew I had to have an SGI.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/Indigo.pdf

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  20:17:22
hehe, Tell me how things go when you do get it, because I've been interested in things like
"How will I get the OS, if it doesn't come preloaded?"
"If I wish to reinstall, where do I get the OS from?"

(I know that a liscence to use the OS is conceptually tagged to the machine, being that if you own an SGI, you legally own a liscence to the Operating System.)

Other things I've been concerned with, include hardware, like "if I want to add ethernet, is it a standard PDI card?" and "what kind of memory does it use?"

IIRC, the original Indigo (IRIS/IRIX) (the pudgy purple microtower) uses 72pin RAM, and some SCSI hard drive (the original Indigo purple microtower has been the one I've wanted for awhile)

Oh, and sign me up for some of that terminal-action

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  05:27:03
quote:
hehe, Tell me how things go when you do get it, because I've been interested in things like
"How will I get the OS, if it doesn't come preloaded?"
"If I wish to reinstall, where do I get the OS from?"

eBay, search for IRIX. It comes on CD(s).

quote:
(I know that a liscence to use the OS is conceptually tagged to the machine, being that if you own an SGI, you legally own a liscence to the Operating System.)

Licensed only for the OS it originally shipped with. Technically, it is illegal to sell the machine without the OS media. Practically, you're lucky if you receive a set of media with your second-hand SGI.

quote:
Other things I've been concerned with, include hardware, like "if I want to add ethernet, is it a standard PDI card?" and "what kind of memory does it use?"

Ethernet is standard equipment. You can add 100BaseT Ethernet to an Indigo2 through a 3Com EISA card, and to the Indy and IRIS Indigo through a GIO card. The latter is rather expensive and rare. I own one, and I'm not letting it go.

quote:
IIRC, the original Indigo (IRIS/IRIX) (the pudgy purple microtower) [...]

IRIS is the machine, IRIX is the OS. The IRIS moniker was dropped from the name as of the Indy and Indigo2 machines, but they're still IRISes.

quote:
[...] uses 72pin RAM, and some SCSI hard drive (the original Indigo purple microtower has been the one I've wanted for awhile)

72-pin parity SDRAM, preferably with gold contacts. Real parity RAM, mind you, not simulated. And that is only for the R4000 Indigos; the R3000 models use proprietary RAM.

Standard 50-pin SCSI hard drives, the same as Macs use. The important thing is to obtain the correct drive sleds.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  06:07:29
Yeah, I basically figured as such.

I was just saying, that those were concerns that I've had.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.