All Forums
 PowerBook
 'hingeitis' on the PB500?
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  12:54:34
Hi - Does anyone know how to fix a PB 500-series computer where the hinge is slightly off-kilter. It's apparently a widespread problem (partly resulting in the rampant broken front panels). A website said it had an article on how to fix it, but the link doesn't work. Anyone?

I'm also dying to know how to take the screen off and swap it with another one. --Jon

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  22:57:04
I am looking at my beloved PB500 PPC as I type this, so it's gonna be train of thought stuff....

First pop off the panel where the mic is mounted (and try not to break it coz they are buggers to remove in one piece) Under that panel there are 2 screws holding the screen surround on - undo them. On either side of the latch there are 2 rubber bumps, pop them out and the other 2 screws for the screen surround are located underneath. When all 4 surround screws are loose you can then (gently) pop apart the surround - just be aware that some wiring will come off with it (brightnesss/contrast buttons)

At this point your screen is only being held on with 2 screws (which you will probably need to tighten), so be gentle. Once the surround is off you can remove the plastic hinge covers with your fingers (sort of squeeze and remove), and voila there's the hinge screws that need tightening!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  00:01:02
nice camera, is it new?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  00:04:40
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=5982.html

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.