All Forums
 Lounge
 BeOS... L I V E S !!!!
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  20:11:16
I finally got BeOS 5 Pro installed on my 7600, and man is it sa-weet!
Everything is so freaking fast! A lot of things are a lil outdated, but oh well. My only complaint is the lack of PPC software developed for it nowadays. If anyone knows of a good PPC BeOS page for software, I could use the hookup.

This OS certianly breahes new life into older PPCs though, it FLIES!!
And it is really stable, unless I use certain beta software, or Basilisk, which refuses to play nice with me, hehe.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  20:13:08
Congratulations.

Sadly, there is very limited info about the PPC BeOS these days, though the BeOS Bible is quite good with the PPC stuff.

Just a question, are you using the special mac loader app Be included with it, or are you launching it manually from teh finder?

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

Edited by - Fedorenko on 06 Oct 2003 20:13:59Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  21:33:24
Penguin, is it the Be OS image you downloaded from the server I am on? Because I was trying to get that running too, but someone messed up the label names and maybe ripped the wrong CD. I don't really know. :/

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  21:40:54
BeOS has a boot loader, you can run the app from within OS 8.x and/or run it as an extension, just like linux on oldworld mac...

Penguin, does BeOS support the AV in/out on the 7600?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  23:09:15
I was wondering which way he was using.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

qedramania
Starting Member

Australia
13 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  04:01:44
The site at www.bebits.com always worked for me :)

when I installed 5.0 on a 9500, it made os8.5 look very sick. I personally favour the theory that the main reaason Apple never pursued BeOS (as opposed to NEXT) was because Be had the audacity to make a better OS on the Apple hardware.

qed

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  09:05:57
Steve Jobs is just a better bullshitter then the ceo of beos was.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  09:56:10
quote:

Steve Jobs is just a better bullshitter then the ceo of beos was.

Maybe, but Be is gone and NeXT managed to take over Apple.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  11:04:50
I just found my legit(!) rev. 5 pro cd, and am going to install on the 8500. I want SoundPlay to see if there really are subliminal messages in some songs ;)

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  13:44:18
Ok, to answer questions.

I am using a version I bought off of ebay, never got the DL'd version to work (i think it is R4.5)

I am using the bootloader in startup. Works pretty well, but slows the whole process more than a true BeBox would

BeBits has a good bit of software, but *most* of it is intel with no source...

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  15:24:34
I too could not get the d'l version to work (which I think is 4.5, but I'm not sure, 'cause it never fully booted, and the Mac-side bootloader shows up as "v4.5" even if you're using R5).

Anyway, I finally broke down and ordered Pro 5.0.3 from Purplus.

I loaded it on my 6500-based Takky, and it's very, very cool! I've jut won an ethernet PCI card off eBay which is supposed to be supported natively in BeOS R5 PPC (fingers crossed), so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be posting here via NetPositive running in BeOS on a G3 Color Classic!

Although, full disclosure, BeOS only seems to load fully when the G3 upgrade has been disabled. But even on the stock 225MHz 603e it flies.

Matt

No rank

Current king of my 68k realm:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  22:01:51
heh, I have no idea where my CD was from, but it does work...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  22:46:38
BeOS… I know nothing about… [other then the fact that there is a kalidiscope theme of it], heh, Anyone think I should try and get a copy to try and load on a SuperMac C600 or a PM4400/200? [or is that a supid question?]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  10:18:51
If either of those machines are what I think they are (and of course, they are what I think they are...) then you should it will likely run well

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  13:51:09
Well in that case…

If I don't die of sleep deprivation, I ought to get out a HD and try it on the SuperMac… but the question is, where would I get it… I thinsk Hotline? [I didn't see it on a quickie search I just did, so…]
Oh, and I think the SuperMac has 48 ram, sound good enough to you? [planning on a 1GB SCSI HD; if I do this]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  14:53:13
Quit complaining how much better Apple would be if they had bought Be. The truth is that although BeOS was a wonderful system, and its innards were faster than anything NeXT made, it was not as good for developers. If Apple had decided to use the BeOS instead, it would have been stuck with its unpolished-feeling GUI. Plus, NS/OS has the best developer tools of anything that was on the market at the time. If Apple had used the BeOS, we wouldn't have nearly as quick a transition to apps running native.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  09:57:32
NeXT aside, 48mb of RAM will be great for BeOS. the minimum is like, 8mb, suggested is 16, and I've been running it with 64 (I think that's what the numbers were anyway, it may have been 16 min, 32 reccomencded...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  15:02:02
I did read the development tools were good for NEXT os. I dont think BEOS would have failed as bad if it had the money behind next and came out at the time NEXT os did.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  17:19:39
quote:

The truth is that although BeOS was a wonderful system [...] it was not as good for developers.

Isn't that the real problem with Mac OS X -- that it was designed for developers rather than users.

Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  18:00:57
My experience with BeOS is minimal. I am psyched that Apple went with OpenStep instead. BeOS was very closed source. From what I read it's POSIX layer was a bit further from standard than Darwin's. The phat thing about BeOS was the audio threading, which sounds very well thought out. Despite the fact that the system was designed for audio, I do not know much about how it works, and developers tools are scarce.
Despite the fact that most ov the work I do in OS X is audio, I love the NS/OS underpinnings. Even when I was a little kid, I thought that Mach was The Shit! I wanted a NeXT even more than a mac then. Having only gotten into computers in the late '90z, with my P233mmx and my 8500- I very much wanted to get into BSD, but didn't know how to put it all together as a system. OS X is much more responsive with real time audio than I have been able to get with Windoze or RedHat.
I much want to check out BeOS 5! If you write code, then porting your audio appz to BeOS could prove to be a rewarding experience.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  22:31:06
quote:

BeOS was very closed source.

Mac OS X is very closed source too. The kernel, the tiny bit at the bottom, is rather insignificant as far as the operating system goes: it is a BSD kernel with BSD kernel calls, which could be swapped out and replaced with something else with a little effort. We may see such a kernel swap come to fruition in the future because somebody on the NetBSD team is working on a Darwin compatability layer.

Could you do the same with the bits of Mac OS X outside of Darwin? Not realistically, because you would have to reproduce the Carbon and Cocoa API, you would have to reproduce the window server, and you would have to reproduce a great number of utilities. There is simply too much code to reproduce. And unlike that insignificant bit called Darwin, we do not have the code.

I'm not trying to belittle what Apple did. What they did was very brave for a traditionally closed source company, in a very closed source business environment. What they did with Darwin can also be considered as being very generous, because they could have simply changed the BSD code and hoarded their own changes (the BSD license lets them do that, and companies usually do that). I'm simply suggesting that claims of Mac OS X being open source are stretching the limits!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.