All Forums
 Lounge
 Musings on marching band...
Author Topic  
oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  17:57:28
If playing excellent concert music is like drinking a fine German lager, then marching band must be non-alcoholic beverage.

Tastes bad, does nothing for you, and takes a long time to get through.

Discuss.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:17:33
When I was in Elem, some of the HS' bands would come down and play for us, my favorite ere the concert band and the Jazz band

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:43:36
Funny, I just got back from a marching band festival tonight.

I love marching badn, cause its when I can play as loud as I want
That, and our riverdance show this year is awesome. Our 60 person band was with bands with 200-300+ ppl tonight, and we sounded great!

I love it, regardless of what others think.

~The Penguin Band Dork

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:53:25
When I was in band in High School I played the Tuba. For concert stuff I had a Miraphone rotary 4 valve BBb tuba. I loved playing that thing it was the Porsche of Tubas.

I hated playing in marching band because of the damned Sousaphone. It was heavy as hell and sounded lousy. It was like some sort of bastardization between a Dodge Dart and a lawn boy.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:57:08
LOL...

BTW, the term is "Band Geek"

I like listening to the band, I don't think that I could ever play on/in the band...

I used to be in a Choir (7th grade) I'm not much a performing artist in any way I guess

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  20:25:16
I was in marching band when I was a freshman in high school. I sat last chair flute next to the annoying girl that everyone made fun of. I prettymuch quit after that. The only good thing that came out of it was that I was in the front rank in the corn festival and everyone behind me had to guide off of me. We ended up coming in first place, so I felt like I Had a pretty major role in that.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  10:06:10
hehehe, I didn't stay in Choir, because I didnt' feel as though it was what I wanted to do (much more computer-centric classes are the things which I've been taking) and I said before, I'm not much of the singer...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  13:18:50
lol, marching band sucks. period. I'm glad I am out of marching band, and high school... I played trumpet...pretty well...but hated marching (my high school did that "Ohio State" style chairstep for everything.) After 7 years of total use, and 5 years of band camp..my trumpet looks like it has been through every major military conflict known to modern civilization. It is held together with plumber's solder and duct tape.

My favorite band-related activity was pep band. Got into every home basketball game free, and had all kinds of solos and stuff that I always improvised, went up an octave, whatever. I was known as "Iron Lips"

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  13:48:47
I play french horn in concert band, so I'm stuck playing that accursed mellaphone during marching season. It's out of tune and sounds like a car horn. Not to mention the 150+ mandatory hours outside of class that are spent on primarily non-musical activities like learning drill, or the fact that I have to be at school before 6:30 four days a week to march on the parking lot.

Except for that it's great.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  15:03:54
I think I must just be a freak....

That or being a drummer makes it that much better
Solos are fun, I improv stuff all the time, hehe.

~The Penguin

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  16:32:05
percs are all freak weirdos
Then again, trumpets are the egotistic pricks

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  17:09:17
so it ISNT just my band thats like that? lol

~The Penguin

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  18:37:33
We have our marching festival next week. I am the principle alto sax, so you could say that it is fun. I get to yell at freashmen. We are playing the music from Ms. Sagon. Its kinda cool. There is alot of good percussion parts. Though this year our cadance sucks ass. I really wish they would of brought back the cadance from my junior year. There is a lot of pressure on us every year though, because if we get a Division 1, it will be for the 32nd consecutive year. Heh.

On the band note, Our Symphonic Wind Ensemble was chosen to be one of the 6 bands from all over the state to play in Ann Arbor, at U of M. I guess this is is the best bands in every divsion like: jazz, middle school, high school chamber winds, high school symphonic winds, high school string orchestra, and middle school jazz. So i suppose it is a bit of a honor.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  19:18:17
My 8th and 9th grade year I played Trombone. We had a concert coming up and our French Horn player got sick. The band director asked if there was anyone that knew how to play the french horn. I raised my hand and said no sir but I can stick my hand in the bell and miss all the notes.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  21:33:39
did you get the job?

"the show must go on" as they sometimes say

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  02:00:14
I play 1st Clarinet in the school concert band. The first chair clarinet is a stupid bi@tch. She sucks up too all of the teachers and she thinks she is the best at everything. She claims that working at KMart is harder than doing Maths C. Ofcourse, on the topic of her subjects, she is failing Maths A, Multi-Strand Science and the rest of her subjects barely passing. Oh yes, she is constantly off-tune when playing, and cant count to a number higher than 3 when playing, which has screwed up so many peformances its not funny.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.