All Forums
 PowerBook
 New file transfer method?
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  05:39:46
Hi, I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I have an iMac 333 and Powerbook 170 and I want them to talk. Direct phone cable doesn't work and I don't have any mediums transfer (zip, floppy, intermediate mac, localtalk).

But I have two things that I think will help me. The iMac is hooked up to a cable modem and the powerbook has a phone modem. Is there anyway that these two computers can connect to each other?
Telnet, zterm, anything?... I am in Toronto and there probably is a bbs I can connect to at 2400bps.

With these random bits of info, can I rig up the two macs to make a connection?

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC II, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  17:47:55
By direct phone cable, I assume that you simply hooked up the two modems together with phone cable. If so, failure is expected. You need to have a phone company simulator (or a real phone company) in between. Basically, all you need is a battery and resistor (possibly one capacitor). If you plan to transfer a lot of files, you'll need to replace the battery with a power supply.

See http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html for details.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:01:57
How about setting one of your other (Ethernet equipped) Macs as a localtalk bridge? All you'd probably need is a printer cable and the crossover cable (?) you're using now on the cable modem. I think a howto may be listed on our site, it has definitely been discussed in the threads. (search)

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  09:28:41
This might mean that if I connect my PB100 with modem to my TiBook, I'll be able to telnet/ssh in?

it seems like it could be an advantageous way to do things, if you could make TCP/IP and AppleTalk to work (I also have the scsi thingy...)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.