All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Apple IBM DFMS Hard Drive
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  11:28:49
I just picked up an Apple IBM DFMS 2Gb Hard Drive and it has a peculiar problem. It intermittantly turns off and on. Sometimes it will run for a half hour without stopping - other times just ten minutes. Otherwise it seems to be a very quiet and fast drive.
I have never been able to do a test under Norton for bad sectors, as the drive turns on and off, freezing the system. The same goes for doing a low-level format. Instead I hooked it up as a secondary drive and did a quick one-minute format. I haven't even been able to install an OS on the drive, as it takes too long. I have tried it in my Performa 475 and IIsi and the same problem occurred, so it can't be that it requires more power than the mac is capable of supplying. I have also tried changing the jumpers (taking off the + 5V option) with no luck.Jumpers and specs here: http://www.megasat.ch/totalhardware/h/txt/1581.txt
Is this drive for the landfill?
Any ideas?
Thanks, muzhok

Edited by - muzhok on 29 Sep 2003 05:55:55

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  11:06:03
I wonder if maybe that that's just like those drives that used to happen what with the Quantum, they were very short drives, 5 1/4" and apparently were notorious for gaining bad sectors extremely quickly.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  15:50:42
The Quantum BigFoot, right Cory?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

TheDoctor
Starting Member

29 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  17:42:51
BigFoot...just say no!

At one point in time, nearly every PC in the 125-ish Windows network I manage had one of those POSs inside. Yuck! I think we just threw out the last of those drives last week.

Homeland Defense Analyst
http://www.inourowndefense.comGo to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  07:43:35
So do you all think this is par for the course for this Apple-IBM drive and I should just chuck it out? Might it be something other than bad sectors and if so, could it be repaired?
Thanks,
Muzhok

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  09:29:17
LOL, mine had bad sectors.

I bought it for the Dell P90 that I paid $60 for several years ago, I thought it might be nice to play with NT/95/98 on a huge hard drive (and there was the chance that it was a 9 gb model!)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.