Balloon Help
 Im having some problems
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  10:16:46
I recently got a Power Computing, Powerwave 604/150 with a 17" Sony Trinitron monitor for free. Specs are:
-150mhz 604
-104mgs of ram
-1.1 gig hard drive
-4x toshiba cd rom drive
-3 pci slots
-ATI graphics card with 4 mgs of vram (VGA out and Apple Display out)
-RJ-45 ethernet and AAUI
-and full system cache
But there are a couple of things that have stumped me:

-The cd rom drive gets power, and will open and the light will flash to read the disc but nothing will happen and the disc will not appear on the desktop. I have checked the connections and frankly im stumped. I tried to see if my 300i would work and it did not. The connector for the cd sound was different. (This being a clone and all)

-I put in a small 250 mg hd into the second drive bay, and connected it up. The computer will not boot past the grey screen before the "Welcome To Mac OS" image. But it still gives good chimes when it starts. Is this a problem with the SCSI ID?

-In the service manuel for this machine it says that I can check the SCSI ID with a program called Hard Disk Toolkit™ PE. Is this in the regular install of OS 9? Since that is what i want to put on there. It has 8.1 now. I really dont want to just wipe the drive cause there is a lot of nice software on their now.

-The powersupply also buzzes slightly. Is this a bad thing? or just something that happens with age?

-I took some ram from my 7600 and filled up the ram slots, with no problems.

-What other cd rom drives/zip drives are compatible with this machine. Im up on the apple stuff just not the clones.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.

Edited by - christophillis on 28 Sep 2003 10:24:05

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  11:23:11
does the CD drive work in another mac? regaurdless of weather or not it does, I'm certain you're having a driver issue, what version of the OS are you running at the momemtn?

Hard Disc Toolkit comes from FWB, not from Apple, that is a good idea, because it sees all on the SCSI busses, try to get CDROM Toollkit too, it should have the drivers you need (or at least let you mount the drive... iThink)

the reason computers have netowrking, is so's you can backup the software to another machine (if needed, it is a good idea though)

I've had powersupplyes buzz before, esp. the one in the iMac and the Acer that I had, if it bugs you, unplug it, if not, it shouldn't do any harm...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  13:33:31
Well it is running OS 8.1 right now. I opened a cd program and it recognizes that the drive is connected and has an SCSI bus #. But here's the wierd part, Apple CD player says the drive isnt connected. It is a Toshiba, and the model is XM 5401B. I thought that this drive was supposed to be supported by the OS.

In regards to the networking thing cory, my hub up and died, so im w/o a network for a bit.

--------------------
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  14:07:48
Humm… unless the CD drive is Apple branded I wont trust it to anything other than CD Toolkit… [I have two SuperMac C600 clones and they both HAVE to use CD toolkit with the drives that came with em']

Oh, and if you want a small hub [8 port], Ive got one laying around, all it needs is an AC adapter [7.5V DC 400~700mA], and you should be able to get one down at Radio Shack or someplace…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  14:12:04
Well, That is what I was using was Cd Toolkit. I just couldnt think of the name. And that is what says the drive is connected, but I think that the drivers for the cd rom drivers arent installed after looking at it again. But sure that hub would be sweet man! I have an adapter that will work.

--------------------
Or just 6

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2003 :  13:12:41
Well thanks to Derekcat I got the CD drive working but I cannot get the other drive to play nice with the main one. Since the second one has no jumpers I have had to play with the jumpers on the main drive. But the jumper desc. listed them as just "Bit 1, Bit 2 and Bit 4" and what each bit did.

--------------------
Or just 6

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  17:01:09
The Scsi bits "1,2,4" are the decimal places for the binary bits 0,1, and 2.
They work like this:
SCSI ID 0, all jumpers off.
SCSI ID 1, jumper only bit 1
SCSI ID 2, jumper only bit 2
SCSI ID 3, jumper bits 1 and 2
SCSI ID 4, jumper bit 4
SCSI ID 5, jumper bits 4 and 1
SCSI ID 6, jumper bits 4 and 2
SCSI ID 7, jumper bits 4, 2, and 1 (but don't do this since the SCSI controller occupies ID 7.)

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  18:00:03
Ok thanks! I'll attempt this weekend at openin her back up and trying a some different ID's.

--------------------
Or just 6

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.