All Forums
 Lounge
 recycle me!!!
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  12:44:30
So I am walking to lunch today, and there is a performa 405 w/ monitor sitting on a grassy knoll on campus that says "Please Recycle Me!" Being the dork I am, I kneel down close to the 405 and begin to inspect if I should bring it home or not. No one was around the computer, so I open the case and look inside. RAM slots filled, eerytihg looks clean and tidy in there. As I am beginning to remove the RAM to see if there are any stats on it, a girl asks me if she can be of help. I tell her that I was thinking about recycling the performa 405. . .bring it home with me. Then she hands me a clipboard and begins to inform me that the computer is just a prop for a campus computer recycling initiative they are starting. I was set up!!!!!

She had no idea that on this campus it is MANDATORY to recycle computers. there is a whole branch of the school that takes care of doing that stuff. If a computer is bought with University money, it must be recycled/disposed of properly.

so to sum up. . .
a.)I was easily set up by the thoughts of bringing home the skinny lil 405. And I blame the 68KMLA for making me love those lil devils so!!!!!!
b.)the people who set me up had no idea what they were trying to do is already being done. After I informed them of this, gave them my information so they could contact me with any questions, and then they packed up and went home. . .taking the 405 with them.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  13:45:51
ooh… I hate it when people tortue you with "free stuff" -but not really…

but that's kinda weird… "a prop"

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  15:14:37
That is weird. Sorry to hear...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  06:15:32
At RePC they have some props about a monitor chopped right in half and they point out the dangerous parts, it's behind glass though

Apparently what happens is that people in jail can take the computers and work on them...

whoever in Jail is getting that Performa 405 is lucky, they've nothing to do to it, and they've got the best machine in the lot

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  08:55:12
While the University recycles it systems, I doubt that most of the students do.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  21:33:33
LOL, that's true....

On the topic of "recycling.." I personally think that surplussing and/or selling would be better, the school gets moneys, and people like us get old computers

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  06:04:00
ARGH! That is so frustrating -- they get your Mac-Conquest hopes up and then dash them. I wonder what would have happened if you simply picked up the machine and walked off?

Did you ask what they plan to do with the lil'guy after they are done using it as a prop?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  06:33:31
I know, recycling does mean several things... you should ask them if they could recycle it by giving it a new life with you

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  09:23:19
G4. . .thats what I was practically doing. . .I checked the RAM. . .was practically 5-10 feet away from the original position of the mac. So in her mind, which was thinking "this guy is about to walk away with our computer". . .I was stealing. . .but in my mind, which was thinking, "do 68ks just fall out of the sky and into my lap?". . .I was doing the mac some good. Imagine what went through their heads as I slipped off the case to look inside. . .they must have thought I was a wacko!

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  09:38:07
quote:
So in her mind, which was thinking "this guy is about to walk away with our computer". . .I was stealing
I don't think any police officer or judge could fault you for taking that computer. A sign that says "Please Recycle Me!" is an open invitation to take said machine -- equivalent to a sign that says "free". Nonetheless, I am sure you shocked that girl, who never expected anyone to start dissemblying their "prop."

I still mourn for your loss of that almost-conquest.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  10:39:37
quote:

I know, recycling does mean several things... you should ask them if they could recycle it by giving it a new life with you

And, let's remember, re-use is much more environmentally friendly than recycling. The percentage of an item (or components of an item) that recycling keeps out the landfill can vary widely, from as little as 10 percent. Re-use keeps 100 percent out of the landfill.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  17:58:36
quote:
I don't think any police officer or judge could fault you for taking that computer. A sign that says "Please Recycle Me!" is an open invitation to take said machine -- equivalent to a sign that says "free".

I agree. The girl is the one who sounds like the wacko.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  20:37:03
if they can't surplus and/or give things away, the whole school sounds wacko...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  20:56:43
I agree. Even my shitty school surplused stuff. And THAT, my friends, was a fubared school.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  20:59:26
LOL, I'm just waiting for a school near me to surplus some projectors

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  21:30:52
LOL, uWish.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  22:25:05
My school surpluses nothing, and merely tosses it or such, comps just 'dissapear' They are mainly PeeCees, like the stack of old persarios (prolly around 60-80) that are waiting to ....'leave' Tis a shame, even for those...

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  22:28:44
well it would be a heckuvalot easier than trying to do what I'm trying to do now, but somehow I think that my way will be a wee bit more rewarding... dunno though...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.