All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Classic Mack
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  07:43:48
Not exactly 68K, but I had a few ideas for doing my own custom case.

Being that I don't have huge money or time, I was thinking Balsa Wood would make a great material to make a case out of. I could easily shape everything and mold parts with no problems, and when it's done, use some sort of sealant to fill up the cracks and holes, snad it down and gave it a good paintjob or something.

I'd probably start out by taking those wood sticks (the ones the doctors use to check you out) and create a base frame, and then work from there, maybe even use some foam to insultate and prevent noise from coming out. (Foam would absorb noise wouldn't it?)

I'm sorta leaning towards a flat, Next-Style Machine. I have the laptop parts from my grandad's dead machine and I think I can convert the hard drive and CD to work since they are both IDE. I could even get the floppy converted but it's sorta up in the air at the moment. I might include it in the case just for a classic look.

The one con of this is that nothing will ever be able to go on the Mac unless I use something to re-inforce it and make it strong. But I have a good spot on the desk, so it's all good.

The only one issue is that the CD ROM uses a really funky connector, but it's still 50-Pin IDE, just a really small think fella. Maybe I can hack something good out of it.

This is going to be a really cool project, hopefully one my whole family will enjoy taking shape, my mom is always saying I should start a project or something, so here it is.

Any suggestions of color schemes I can use or tips on cool (but easy) hacks?

[:D[ Thanks!
The case will be rectangular, I don't plan on making smooth corners at first, I'm just going to smooth things off with a simple sand paper, just so I don't hurt myself if I need to pick it up or move it and get scratched or shirt caught in a sharp spot.

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  15:46:25
Black background with red, orange and yellow flames. Like the LC in Macaddict a while back. You could do the flames in stencils or just freehand paint them on.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  15:59:54
You could always replace the IDE cable going to the HD with one that has three connectors, allowing you to hook up 2 HDs and the CD-ROM, or 1 HD and two optical drives.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  03:11:18
The iMac supports 2 devices on each IDE bus? Cause I know many older macs could only use 1 IDE per channel.

If this is the case, might work. But can only use 2 items, IDE can only handle 2 devices per channel.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  03:40:08
Yep. AFAIK the iMac's IDE bus is perfectly capable of it.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  06:42:26
If not, MCE still makes those iMac CD burners IIRC

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.