Lounge
 The WONDERFUL World of NetWare.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  11:07:36
So in my school, we have a Novell NetWare network...

Beside the fact that the login boxes are very ugly compared to that of a Windows network, or, :drool: a Macintosh Manager or OSX NetInfo Directory netowkr, our network borks out sometimes...

Just as of lately, it's taken to transferring students' data between and to and fro, in addition, alot of our public volumes that *should* be read only, like where our sample programming data files come from, aren't read only (this is part of our fantabulous problem with this gaming.net class...)

The problem probably comes frompeople who just press the save(disk) button, rather than saving as to their own folders, and this is allowed because, of course, the public drives are not erad only, nice huh?

(Needless to say, I did it the right way, and have had no problems with my program )

You all know what happens when someone saves a program, and then someone else opens it? well any changes that were there before are gone, and replaced with something different, I also think I'm the only one in the whole class whose window isn't ugly with weird colors, trying to find out if it's one specific person whose files are going awry...

THAT is no all though, we also have wonderful problems with multiple logins, and a "windows environment error"

Apparently NetWare creates a temp user here on XP pro (and/or 2k pro) and whenever the machine crashes or something like that, the temp user isn't deleted, and as thus, that person is "already logged in" or to the equivalent.

In addition, the teachers' laptop detects MSBLASTER (thank McAfee/Norton for VirusScan?)

It makes you yearn for AppleShare, NetInfo and Macintosh Manager doesnt' it?

or the days when you jsut kept to your own floppy disks, and when you outgrew, you got a new disk or deleted stuff.

(I remember in system 7.1/5 you could eject a floppy, and copy things between them, I loved that...)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  16:24:10
Gah, thats NetWare for you...*sighs* Anyone remember the Novell NetWare 6.0 Downgrade™ that my old school did last year? Dipshits...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  17:48:13
The thing about NetWare is, you have to actually know something to get it to work right. What's going on is not Novell's fault, but it's the fault of whoever your school's networking people are. This is what angers me. These stupid people are out there managing networks, while I can't even get anyone to hire me. That's just like the guy in town here who turned me down for a guy with a hundred peircings. Ugh, where does it end? :-(Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  19:50:41
The tech people I see looked ok, but they weren't the one who set up the share on the server

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

doofsmack
Starting Member

12 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  19:56:56
Cory linked me to this topic, I felt the urge to reply.

That user error is easy to fix. Just delete that user during startup with startup scripts. Easy to do with NT/2k/XP. Share issues are just lazy admins who can't get file permissions right.

And Lightning, about the piercings thing, I see those as a form of self expression. Just cause they have piercings doesn't mean they're incompetent. I've seen many-a-skilled-tech with piercings.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  21:50:00
LOL, yeah I personally have no real problem with NetWare, it's just odd that this stuff happened on a network with NetWare, the exact same stuff happens with any other network... it's just kind of fun to poke fun at something

There's a difference between one or two piercings, and as TLS described "A hundred piercings" I personally have none, but that doesn't mean I'm better qualified for a job as an IT adminitrator than someone who has even a thousand piercings... it just means that I might look cleaner...

It's probably a law, nondiscrimination and stuff...

I'm going to try out NetWare for reals on my own (thanks doof) and "yeah"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.