All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Help Me Liberate a 475
Author Topic  
Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  22:10:05
Stopping by a local thrift store I found a performa 475, keyboard, monitor, and modem (no mouse) in a box.

Thrift store wants $100 for the whole kit. (They want $20 for a 605 w/ no powerbutton.) That's too much.

I "adopted" a Powermac 7600 (keyboard, monitor and mouse) from a university surplus auction for less.

Everymac suggests about $60 for one of these. There's one (just the 'puter) going on eBay right now for a 9 dollar starting bid.

I'm going to try and bargain the store down to a more reasonable price for the whole kit and caboodle. What do you suggest? (I think this would make a great little 'puter for my 2nd cousin's kids -- perfect for typing and playing educational games.)

Cinncinatus
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:16:13
Check out the finished auctions for performas on eBay and check the prices. Click on "Show completed items" under the search box. I wonder how much the thrift store paid for it, probably too much to turn a profit and still sell at a good price.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:17:04
100 dollars!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

they're really only worth around 10...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  04:57:55
I'd say the most you should pay for it is about 60 bucks. They are worth less, but considering this comes with the whole kit and caboodle, i believe that thats a good price. What sort of monitor does it have? How fast is the modem? The better the monitor is and the faster the modem is, the better. Does the modem come with all the cabling and the power adapter and stuff? That would also increase the value. But once you have it all set up and stuff, it would make a pretty fine kids machine. And the modem could also let them access kids sites and help them with research assignments. Anyway, keep us posted, and if you get it, just ask in LC/Performa if you need any help. I'll be more than glad to help you.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  09:54:01
quote:

I'd say the most you should pay for it is about 60 bucks. They are worth less, but considering this comes with the whole kit and caboodle, i believe that thats a good price. What sort of monitor does it have? How fast is the modem? The better the monitor is and the faster the modem is, the better. Does the modem come with all the cabling and the power adapter and stuff? That would also increase the value. But once you have it all set up and stuff, it would make a pretty fine kids machine. And the modem could also let them access kids sites and help them with research assignments. Anyway, keep us posted, and if you get it, just ask in LC/Performa if you need any help. I'll be more than glad to help you.

Monitor: Apple color monitor .28 dot pitch
Modem: Probably a 9600
Looks to come with all the cabling and goodies, but I didn't see a mouse. :(

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:26:01
Yes, searching the completed items auctions at eBay has yielded a wealth of information ...

The 'puter alone is not selling in the $10-20 range.

The 'puter + keyboard + monitor is not selling in the $20-30 range.

All of the above, plus a huge amount of software, plus an imagewriter II sold for $25.

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:49:54
quote:

Yes, searching the completed items auctions at eBay has yielded a wealth of information ...

great idea! I've seen auction tracking apps, is there a completed auction data-mining app? bots constantly updating a 68k (or other) pricing spreadsheet (tab delim txt of transactions, dunno just musin') file might be a fun toy/research tool/68k coding project.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  13:19:34
I once paid $30 for my LC and its 12' RGb Display, too much but I must have every mac that I find

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

Covert Ops
Creator of the 68k Digital Hub
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:19:02
Heck, I once paid $100 AUS for an LC with screen. God, it was only 2 years ago...

I musta been so naive, believing the ridiculous prices printed in magazines!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  09:27:47
I paid US$11 for my LC 475, with no keyboard/mouse/monitor, but with a 2GB Ultra Scsi-3 HDD.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  09:36:09
quote:

I paid US$11 for my LC 475, with no keyboard/mouse/monitor, but with a 2GB Ultra Scsi-3 HDD.

SCOUNDREL! THEIF! *ohmigodamijealous!*

jt >8-P

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  09:43:02
quote:

That's illegal!!!

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  10:30:08
Heh-heh, gotta love the Disabled Veterans thrift store in Burbank! Where else can you get a Quadra 840av, a Color Classic and an LC 475 with a 2GB hard drive all for US$45?

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  10:33:06
quote:

Heh-heh, gotta love the Disabled Veterans thrift store in Burbank! Where else can you get a Quadra 840av, a Color Classic and an LC 475 with a 2GB hard drive all for US$45?

YOU'RE STEALING FROM AMPUTEES!?!?!?
*no shame whatsoever*

jt

*imgettingsojealousidontthinkicantakeitmuchlonger*

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  10:39:41
Oh c'mon, like an amputee with shellshock is really going to be able to put a Quadra 840av to it's full potential? Sure....

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  11:03:42
quote:

Oh c'mon, like an amputee with shellshock is really going to be able to put a Quadra 840av to it's full potential? Sure....

Maybe not, but they could use a reasonable amount of coin outta the exchange for smokes, .. ahem ...reading material, and other necessities of life!
*having trouble keeping a straight face is finally allowing the jealous rage to subside, tehe ......... what the <bump>! lol . . . . and then some*
shame on you!
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  12:04:49
Well, truth be told, it isn't disabled veterans who shop there, they just benefit from the profits the store makes. But I was just playing along, anyway...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  12:09:46
quote:

they just benefit from the profits the store makes. But I was just playing along, anyway...

nopro, cinemo
me2 *for a change!*

epee +=|------------

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.