All Forums
 Lounge
 Brave New World
Author Topic  
redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  21:32:01
Well I have had a good weekend so far. Yesterday I did not feel like going home right after work so I drove around for a bit and decided to stop by a thrift shop. I noticed a HP 8200 USB cd burner marked AS-IS for 8 bucks. It did not have a power supply but it did have an USB cable and I needed one of those anyway. When I got home I looked at the bottom and the power voltages are 12v and 5v. And I remember that is the same as my Jaz drive. The power connector on the Jaz supply is a PS/2 KB type so I hack the end off of a PS/2 extension cable open up the drive and solder it in. So I plug it up to my windows box, as I did not have a Mac with USB. Windows XP detects it, and I am able to burn a cd with it.

Then today I meet up with a friend to go see underworld. We go to see the first showing. We get there and a person walks out and says the manager is late today so they can’t unlock the ticket machine. So they give us a free movie pass and free popcorn.

Our local apple retailer is right across from the theater and I start to stop by but I decide not too. About half way home I decide to go back. I get there and ask if they have any used G3s and he says that he just sold the last one to the couple walking out the door. Then he jokingly says I got a B&W G3 that don’t work. I asked what is wrong and he said it was either the CPU or the logic board he did not remember which. I told him that I had a 300 zif I could bring up to test with and if it worked I would buy it. He said that he was pretty sure it was the logic board. Thinking how much I hate the case to my P4 I ask how much he wants for the case. He said 40 for just the case. I asked if he wanted me come back later and he said that he could part it while I waited. He left the board it in as he did not want it. He then said he had a matching 17" studio display that works for about 2 hours makes a loud pop and then shuts off and that he was going to throw it away and that I could have it if I wanted.

I get home and before I gut the G3 I decide to test it. So I cut the -5v wire on a spare ATX PS and plug it and my 300 zif in. Turn it on and it makes the bad memory sound. I drop in a old dimm and my ATI video card and it make the bong sound and gives the ? mark as I have no drives in it. The only IDE cd rom I have does not look to be bootable I'll have to get another drive. So Monday I going to get a cd drive and copy of OS X 10.2 so it looks like I will be able to get a G3 in my budget of 200.

All in all I say things came out pretty well.

--Edit I dont have much use for the monitor so if anyone in the DFW area wants it you're welcome to it.

--Eric

Edited by - redrouteone on 20 Sep 2003 22:34:47

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  22:35:47
just...

WHOAGLAYVEN!!!!

Have fun with the B/W, Mine has a Yikes! G4 mobo, but it's still really cool to have, and they run OSX (panther even) pretty well.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:03:13
Nice machine!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:45:52
So what funs have ye planned for yon's coolness glayven new macintosh? and that cdrw drive! it's the perfect match I'm tellin' ya

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  07:57:58
Great deal, RRO!! I'd like to hear how the rest of the project comes along.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  10:28:23
With a great day like that, did you run out and get some lottery tickets too?

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  12:47:31
Well I found a CD drive that it can boot from. I did not get the drive trays with it so I have to figure out a way to mount the hard drives. Though it does look like the iMac restore disk I have will run on it.

--Eric

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  17:31:43
Well I got OS 9 installed and have two problems. First it sits at the OS 9 splash screen for about 4 minutes doing nothing and the finishes booting. My guess is that this is caused by the scsi card. Second the ethernet port dont work I dont even get a link light. I am thinking that this was the orginal problem so I am look gor a PCI card.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  06:10:34
Did you make sure that your AppleTalk is set to go to the Ethernet port, and that TCP/IP is enabled?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  09:53:43
sounds like it was a mighty fine day by all accounts :)

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  10:02:36
Every once in awhile, you just have a fantastic day like that, and sometimes, it just keeps on happening, continually, like it's a locked pattern, having good days...

Other than slight sleep deprivation the last few months have been kind of like that

Are you going to try that CD burner in your mac?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  16:05:58
Oh hell yeah the burner is going on the G3. I picked a copy of Jaguar from the school computer store today. Though Ram for it is getting real hard to find and expensive so it will stay at 128 for now. My server will run the new cheap stuff so I may just do a switch a roo on it.

--Eric

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  20:37:20
Well I am now posting from the smurf. Now to finish getting everything setup and figure out how to get the setup assisant to run again as it borked out the first time as it did not like my montor.

--Eric

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  21:37:45
Cool!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  21:59:24
niice, what kind of video card d'you have in there, just BTW?

How did you get it going so fast anyway? either way, have lots of funs

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  15:37:11
I wish I could have a day like that sometime!

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  18:41:42
Doesn't anyone?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  09:02:04
I have a 16MB ATI Rage 128. As to how I got it going so fast, lets just say I am now behind on my calculus homework. I had all of the parts laying around expect the OS and NIC so that helped too.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  21:49:20
Ok, that's the same ATi card that I've in my B/W, the ones that came with them as well LOL! I don't have calculus :-\ but still funny

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  22:51:21
Chris dont worry your day will come. I had it coming for a while and I am so glad that is here.

Though continueing on my thread of good luck. When I upgraded my Athlon to a P4 I gave the old motherboard and cpu to a friend of my boss. Well his company just upgrade the ram in a whole bunch of systems and he got to keep the old ram. So he is going to give 4 128MB dimms.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  06:26:28
I think I'm just about due for another really good day... (like, there's a projector I want to bid on, or I want to go to las vegas with the TiBook and buy panther, or if I could have the projector by then... and "yeah"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  22:25:42
Well my DVD-RAM drive came in today. I installed it and was burning a DVD in less than 5 min. This is just so cool. Now I have a good way to do my back ups.

--Eric

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.