All Forums
 Lounge
 I need your help
Author Topic  
brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  13:22:20
Lately I've been toying with the idea of adding colour to 32bitwonder.org and although I've made some attempts at a few colour schemes, I can't seem to find something that fits the site.

The site as it is now is modeled after Macintosh Platinum Beige to reflect the LC III which first inspired the site. It also symbolizes the self imposed limitations I've placed upon myself as that reflects the limited platform (being the LC III) itself. The monochrome theme also helps to pay tribute to the original black & white Mac.

With that said, can someone help me find a suitable replacement colour scheme which would fall in line with the above philosophical ideals of the site? Should I even attempt such a thing, or keep it as is? Please, I could use some feedback.

Thanks in advance, Brad

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  16:44:36
I like it the way it is now.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  18:33:52
I also like the current scheme, it's pleasant to look at IMHO anyway...

and it is modeled after what you like, and/or it's inspiration

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:19:46
I quite like the current colour, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a scheme

Anyway if you want to pick a good colour scheme I'd go and look for some basic colour theory tips on the web, there are plenty of pages that will give you a basic run through of picking good complimentary colours in 2's 3's whatever.

If you are looking for colours to start with why not use those used in the things your site is about, you would need to put some thought in to that though so as not to have an all beige site!

Incidentally i can't remember if I responded to your last email, I've been pretty busy as I started a new job about 2 weeks ago, I've not forgotten though. We'll be doing another dumpster diving trip in the next couple of weeks with any luck and will take photos. Only last week I picked up an Apple ][e with a Super Serial 2 card, an 80 column video expansion card and a spare disk controller, I also got a mint condition Mac plus but forgot that I would need a special keyboard, there was a Classic 2 but it had started raining and i didn't like the last one I had very much anyway.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:30:54
LOL, well My site is usually having an orange background... many people tell me to change it...

tip: don't use an orange background...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  21:58:06
Humm… my room is orange…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  01:28:43
Hmm I've heard that orange is apparently one of the most universally unpopular colours, although I quite like it.

I'd also try and stear clear of iMac/blue colour schemes these days, it's be done to death.

--------
Apple ][e. Apple ][gs, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (300 603ev) 2*6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  03:25:11
I know. The whole "iAqua" thing, as i call it is dead. Its old. Its been overused.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  06:15:28
/me ponders.... nah...

Maybe you could try an OS8.1 lookylike scheme, it seems that your site is divided into the theory of "windows" anyway... (that was a whole lot of madeup terminology, like it? )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  06:54:38
I thought of doing something similar to a Mac OS Classic "theme", if only by using a similar colour scheme. When I apply the same grey (#DDDDDD) as found in a "About This Computer" screenshot (Mac OS 9.1), the grey comes across being too pale or harsh <- for lack of a better word. If I warm it up a bit, I end up with what I already have.

I'm pleased people like what I have already done - that's always reassuring. But it can always be better! :-)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  10:07:35
It's that kind of thinking that will get you far, "It can always be improved"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  11:56:20
i really like it the way it is ... keep it !!!

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  14:52:37
I like it the way it is as well. I think the combination of black and white with a modern, modular layout (it's php-based, yes?) is a very nice situation, because it parallels the vintage/modern combo of your LCIII running Linux.

Also, I feel that the black and white photos (which only really make sense in the context of a black and white design overall) look very nice, giving a grace and, dare I say dignity, to items that are pictured. The one color image (the IIgs screen photo) sticks out like a sore thumb in this regard, reinforcing to me the beauty of the other, b+w, pics. (I understand why that pic has to be color; I'm just mentioning it to make a point.)

So I would keep it as-is if I were you. If you really want to make a change -- and change really is the only constant when it comes to web site designs, isn't it? -- you could go with a monochromatic look, using only varying shades of the same color (I'd suggest a web-safe grey-green or blue-green to start with).

BTW, the ideal color scheme for clarity and cleanliness as far as many designers (well, at least print designers) are concerned is black, white and red.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1

Edited by - tmtomh on 22 Sep 2003 14:54:25Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2003 :  16:26:33
I'd say either keep it the way it is, or go for a System 7 like theme.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  06:56:48
Thank you all for your comments, to tmtomh in particular for taking time to critique the site so eloquently. I'm grateful for such a forum.

@tmtomh
Yes, the site is php-based. I'm always happy to hear when people pick up on the "vintage/modern combo of your LCIII running Linux".

One of my favourite moments so far during this experiment was one afternoon after spending a couple of weeks of telling the odd soul about how I managed to get my 6100/60 to stream mp3s (and only getting polite "uh-huh's" and "ookaay's"). I told one last co-worker which I had somehow previously missed. His eyes lit up and his first response was "Isn't it ironic that you're streaming mp3's on a Mac running Linux whose hardware isn't even capable of PLAYING them??" This made my year.

Back to the site, thanks for drawing attention to the IIgs pic. I had spent quite a bit of time debating whether or not to place a colour image on the site and it's a continual struggle I keep finding myself faced with in regards to the sites content in general. On the one hand, I want to present content (photographs & articles) in a way that helps to preserve the integrity of the subject yet I don't want to present it in such a way that I risk taking myself too seriously. It's a fine balance which I'm not sure I'm achieving (outside of the Gallery). All I can be really sure of is that its my own style which I'll continue to refine. Whether or not that proves to be popular is another issue (/etc/blog). <- I've no idea what I'm doing with that.

-Brad

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  15:21:16
@Gothikon

Thanks for the update and congrats on the new job! I look forward to reading about your tales!

-BradGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.