All Forums
 68k Conquests
 SE FD HD needs a Nubus Enet card
Author Topic  
Cinncinatus
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  20:42:57
I just decided to get this SE running and put it on my college network. Why? Well, why not? Otherwise it would just sit there and do nothing.

So far I've gone from system 6.08, to 7.01 and now 7.5.3 tonight. It's been chugging along installing 7.5.3 for the last 1 1/2 hours, and is installing from disk 10 of 13. Anyway, I'm going to need a nubus ethernet card for this. Can anyone tell me of a model that will work with it? I already have an AAUI to RJ-45 transceiver.

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  20:52:00
Umm, two things:

1. A NuBus Ethernet card on an SE will do you bugger-all. The SE doesn't have a NuBus slot; it has a processor-direct slot shared with the SE/30. The cards are not compatible, and I'm not sure how easy the SE cards are to find.

2. That transceiver probably won't be necessary for the new card; that's OK, because they're useful enough for those of us with old Quadras, etc., and someone may be willing to take it off your hands.

2. Why are you trying to run 7.5.3 on a 68000-based Mac? The highest I'd even dream of going would be 7.1. A better bet is probably System 6. (You don't need to have System 7 for Internet access.)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  21:32:38
I'd go with system 6. RAM requirements / performance is perfect for a 1mb SE

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Cinncinatus
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  22:22:41
7.5.3 installed, but it wouldn't startup. I have 4 MB of Ram, so I would prefer to run system 7.01, which I just installed.

I was very impressed with the performance of system 6. The computer started up in no more than 20 seconds and restarted in no more than 10.

If it has no Nubus, what is the 96 pin (32x3) slot labeled "A B C" (the same as my 7100 Nubus slots).

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:31:57
(fyi: my 8mb SE/30 utterly and completely owns system 6)

we already established that it's a PDS (processor direct slot)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Cinncinatus
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:34:42
I see what your saying now. What can it be used for?

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:42:03
quote:

If it has no Nubus, what is the 96 pin (32x3) slot labeled "A B C" (the same as my 7100 Nubus slots).

That's the SE's 68000 PDS (euro-DIN 96-pin connector) first slot ever in a mac. SE/30's is a 68030 PDS (euro-DIN 120-pin connector)
NuBus is also a 96 pin euro-DIN connector, was introduced in the 68020 Mac II, but is not a PDS so it doesn't need as many pins because the addressing is multiplexed, it's buffered from the processor bus and operates independently at 10MHz. PDS slots have a direct connection to every pin on a CPU plus clocks, power/ground and operate at the same speed as the CPU.

So even though the connector looks exactly the same they're different slots, they might not even be keyed to stop you from trying, but you really don't want to mix card & slot types.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:50:52
quote:

I see what your saying now. What can it be used for?

Then I didn't need to type all of the above! Shoulda logged on a little later. The Radius 16 accelerator and the FPD/interface card were the first expansion options for the SE, other cards followed, but it could be used for any of the same functions as NuBus, as long as the cards were designed specifically for the SE''s PDS. Nubus cards were the macs version of "ISA" slots which IBM "copied" from the Apple2 architecture and the PDS slots were the original "local bus" slots.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

Cinncinatus
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:26:17
I see alot of PDS ethernet cards for LCs, performas, and quadras, and color classics. Are there any that will work on an SE?

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:37:43
quote:

I see alot of PDS ethernet cards for LCs, performas, and quadras, and color classics. Are there any that will work on an SE?

The only other 68000 PDS that I know of in the lineup is the one in the Mac Portable, I'm not familiar with options for the SE, but look at:

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se.shtml
http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/guide.html

the info over there seems first-rate to me. check out the links on our web page, and keep a sharp lookout for search terms for playtime (advanced search) on google, i've found LOTS of stuff searching there.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  13:44:19
quote:

No, they all have different PDS slots to the SE. That is why you need to make sure that you get one specifically for the SE.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  21:48:39
quote:

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se.shtml

It cracks me up that, on that page, they picture an SE with a keyboard that cannot even physically connect to it!

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  14:29:13
Excuse me? That's an Apple Keyboard if my eyes are decent.

It's what my SE originally had.

It's what I use on my (yes, truth) 9500/130

And I use an Apple Keyboard II on my 8100.

If anyone has any good working Apple Keyboards (look on the bottom.. NOT the Apple Keyboard II) I'm willing to pay and trade/

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  15:06:38
quote:

If anyone has any good working Apple Keyboards (look on the bottom.. NOT the Apple Keyboard II) I'm willing to pay and trade/-

If you've got an original Datadesk MAC101 or the oldstyle 101E, not the current one, and it's clean and fully functional, you can have your pick of my apple keyboards. If it's missing keycaps, that's not a problem, I've got plenty.

jt

p.s. offer is good for anybody holding one, money order nopro if preferred.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  19:57:43
Marchie, if you look closely, they picture it with the keyboard that shipped with the SE

(I have 2 Apple Keyboards, by the way. I wish the casing wasn't yellowed though. And no - you can't have them )

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  21:10:52
Marchie, I've got an Apple keyboard to spare, but the left ADB port doesn't work. E-mail me if you are interested.
Oh, and Cinncinatus, [url=http://pluto.njcc.com/~hjohnson/mac.html]this guy[/url] might have some Ethernet cards for you.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.