Lounge
 A question about forums..
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  21:18:21
Hi,

Just a simpe question. What would you say is a fair minimum limit a user should make per month in a forum for them to be classed as "active"?

With the forum im working on, I dont want 100 users with only 1 posts like some other forums I know *ahem*.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  21:34:27
I believe I figured this out once...
well let's see... I make at least 7 posts per day, on average, and I'm considered _*VERY*_ active, many people make well, two or three per week, and that's still considered active, so I'll take a stab at, 10 posts per month, if you really want to consider them very active (at any given time) dunno though, 10 posts per month seems somewhat obscene to me, but then again, look at who I am...

Look closer to a post per day for a decently active person.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  21:57:29
The exact amount I was thinking Cory, it must be right then .

Now, for a more sinister query. Would you complain, if a forum had 2 adds (one standard banner, one little square) on a page? If the website + forum was a content bonanza

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  22:11:10
LOL, I probably wouldn't mind the ads if the content and scope of the forum was good enough...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  22:56:53
Ok, can someone tell me how I would go about rigging an add to display itself for, lets say 1000 impressions, then go away?

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  04:51:10
I'm not sure exactly why you want this. Space is cheap (about a $1 a GB of new IDE drives) so you can store the 20kB profiles of a 50,000 "inactive" members for $1. Programmer time or administrator time is expensive so you are more likely to waste resources trying to get too fancy.

I would avoid post-count requirements like the plague. The biggest problem is that requiring some level of posting activity will encourage or force people to overpost. If I know that I have not made my 10-posts-per-month quota, I will post a bunch of inane crap. The quality of your content will plummet if people feel pressure to post.

I also suspect that post-count requirement rules will simply drive people away. If I went on vacation, came back a month later and a forum was all pissy because I hadn't posted for a month, I would leave permanently.

If you are looking for real solutions I can think of two ideas. The first is to have a "display only active members" checkbox on the member listing screen. Visual space on the member lists is not wasted and more casual members aren't kicked off. If someone wants to see all the members, including those that have not posted since 2001, they can. If you want to get fancy, use a popdown menu of choices, e.g., show members active in the last 1 day, last 2 days, last week, last month, last year, etc.

Second, and more ambitious, is to create a scoring system similar to that used by slashdot. People who submit useful posts get scored as "funny," "insightful," "interesting," etc. People who post crap get scored as "offtopic," "flamebait," etc. Submit good posts, and your overall Karma score is high. Submit bad posts, your Karma goes negative, and you get kicked off. If you wanted, you could also have the system give low karma for low posting activity. And the way that slashdot moderates means the admins don't have to do anything. Users with good karma get moderation points that they can use to affect the scores of the posts -- the membership moderates the posts. By doling out only a limited number of moderation points to only the best members, the entire system is self-moderating. Another good example of a high-content self-moderating site is www.experts-exchange.com.

My 20 milli$ is to avoid rules that encourage overposting or discourage participation.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  18:41:57
where are you getting this hosted? if it's a place that's free with ads, then most of what they do, should be done on their own, if you're hosting it at a paid place, and adding in ads to help pay, they you'll have to do it, or find someone, or get some "templates" and such....

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  19:42:50
If you want the ad to only have so many impressions, then you need a CGI script or PHP function that will limit the ad to 1000 refresh/hits then clear the area with a normal image or blank image.

There are various sites around that have info on how to do this but it's not going to be something easy if you're not into html/cgi/php.

Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  21:44:34
Thanks G4from128k for the information about posts counts. It isnt a space issue, more of a cleanlyness thing. Perhaps if It was more like make 10 posts in your first 2 months, or your account gets delted..and then just manually monitor the rest of the accounts for large in-activeness.

The way Im looking, it will be paid hosting, so I want to have once nice simple banner to try and minimise my expenence, along with some other stuff (Tshirts anyone ?). Ill like for some php code to do it.

All that really remains to be done is to "grease the rails" with the whole PAF issue.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  22:29:03
ahh... PAF, say no more

I'm looking for ways to get my PAF up higher, so's I can get panther and an LCD projector panel

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:10:39
bah, PAF just fell through the floor, we had an.......argument

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:26:23
ouchies... :'( hope that gets better soon

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.