Lounge
 THANK YOU APPLE!!!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  19:49:05
This might be happening for reasons that I don't know, but Apple is now basically giving away MacOS 9....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120243

This means that you can also run a NetBoot server from your OSX [client] machine running .2.4 or higher...

It should also mean that using OS9 on many computers which maybe for you don't have an individual CD or "liscence" will be legal...

In addition, the CD shoudl work with mac OS X server

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  19:54:43
The image isnt the normal stand alone OS 9.0/9.1 cd then?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  20:52:33
I believe its a HD image with a copy of OS 9 installed.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  21:53:20
Exactly, and not just being an HDD image, it's a NetBoot HDD image (not sure if that makes it totally different and/or unreadable, but it is a netboot image )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  21:58:55
Is there any way to make a linux machine into a netboot server? That way you could just take an old PC and make it into a cheap MacOSX server equivalent. I really dont feel like shelling out the cash just so I can boot my ibook off of the network.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  22:12:37
you don't need Mac OS X server, it'll run on any mac that has Jaguar Mac OS X 10.2.4 or later installed...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  07:51:02
Okay, I downloaded and installed this (sort of).

(1) The download isn't a Mac OS 9 image per se. It's a Mac OS X-style disk image (.dmg file) containing an installer package for NetBoot (actually, four installer packages -- one for each of four languages).

(2) Running the installer on my OS X 10.2.6 (NOT OS X Server) system results in a message at the end saying "there was an error in installation." However, the actual files are installed successfully. The error comes after "writing files," during "running installer script." It seems highly likely that the error results from the fact that the installer script is looking for something that exists on a Mac OS X Server setup but not on my Mac OS X client setup.

(3) After closing the installer (it doesn't crash or anything; it just stops the installation), I found a folder called NetBootInstallation at the root level of my HD. The folder is owned by System and its permissions are set to No Access. I changed the ownership and permissions to myself (my user account is an admin one; if it weren't I'd have to re-login as an admin user), and to "read & write."

(4) After doing that I moved the folder to a different location (this isn't necessary, just convenient) and opened it.

(5) Inside are two Mac Os 9-style HDD image files -- NetBoot HD.img and Applications HD.img. There's also a file (with a generic white document icon) called Mac OS ROM. The Applications HD.img file mounts as an empty HDD image. It's obviously meant to be customized with whatever third-party apps one wants to put on there. The NetBoot HD.img file mounts as a HDD image with Mac OS 9.2.2 installed on it. The Sytem File shows up with a generic white icon and is identified only as a "document," but my assumption is that this is becuase there is no equivalent System File in OS X. (The Finder shows up as an application because OS X has its own version of the Finder.) I'm confident that if this HDD image were copied to a classic Mac, the System File would have the proper icon and ID.

(6) In the System Folder there are also Classic Support and Login files, each with a special System File-type icon. I think these are present in any normal 9.2.2 installation, but I'm not sure. In any event, I'm confident they wouldn't prevent one from using 9.2.2 standalone on a classic Mac.

(7) There's a Mac OS ROM file in the System Folder as well. Its file size is a bit larger than the Mac OS ROM file that's by itself in the NetBootInstallation folder. I don't know exactly what the role of either these ROM files is.

(8) Finally, I havent' yet tried this 9.2.2 System out anywhere, because I don't have a 9.2.2-compatible machine at my disposal (except my iMac, which is running OS X and already has 9.2.2 installed for Classic purposes). I have a couple of 6360/6400/6500-based machines around, and if I get some time I will put this 9.2.2 System on them, then make the appropriate hacks to allow 9.2.2 to run on them (they're only officially supported up to 9.1), and see if everything works.

Whew!

All for now.

Matt

Edited by - tmtomh on 20 Sep 2003 08:17:05Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  18:25:10
If anyone has multiple OSX capable machines (one for NetBoot server) and one that can netboot (NewWorld that'd be) they can try to actually use the netbooting, I myself am going ot try this as soon as i can (get it downloaded)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  19:04:52
Is there any way to make a machine netboot from a different subnet, like a machine that was on 192.168.1.101 to boot from 192.168.15.195? or what about booting from over the internet, like two people on the same section of cable in a neighborhood with cable internet? That would be sweet, we could make a 68MLA netboot server that some of the forum members could boot from over the internet. But it would probably be really slow and expensive, but it would be cool

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  19:08:51
from what I've seen, it *MIGHT* be possible, it would be really cool though

/me imagines "THE OFFICIAL, 68kMLA NetBoot SERVER"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  19:53:18
Lol, does anyone remember those plans we had way back when to try and figure out how to netboot a IIsi?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  20:09:02
:drool: netBooting a IIsi with OS9.2.2 over Airport!!!

BWAHAHA

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  22:57:16
No, we were thinking of System 6 or System 7.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:00:23
LOL! well it would be cool either way

maybe apple will release that control panel next

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  23:03:33
LOL, iWish.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.