Rhapsody DR2 Intel - Kernel Panic
Author Topic  
RobotIntestines
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  23:38:39
Hello,

I wonder if anyone here could help me :)

I am trying to install Rhapsody DR2 Intel.

The install floppy seems to work, but the following happens:

When I am prompted for the driver floppy, I insert it. It then asks me to choose between five different SCSI drivers for my CD-ROM drive. (This is odd because my CD-ROM drive is IDE)

I choose a random SCSI driver (because it makes me).

At this point, a screen appears that states:

quote:
panic: kmem_suballoc 1system panic

kmem_suballoc 1

(type 'r' to reboot or type 'm' for monitor)

Does anyone have any ideas?

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  01:40:10
First off, you can press 7 at the driver screen to view more drivers. Some releases of Rhapsody showed a Device ID and Function number next to devices that it detected. Don't choose SCSI, use an IDE driver. If nothing IDE is listed on the first page, press 7 or whatever number it indicates to see more drivers and select a standard IDE driver.

Once this is done, you should be good to go. However, remember that Rhapsody is by far a finished OS, so many bugs, problems etc., are all left in it, and you will have a tough time getting some things to work. For example, it may be subject to random Kernel panicks, it cannot use DHCP, you have to manually assign everything.

It's an unfinished and abandoned OS. Nice to play with, but if you face any serious troubles with it, the reason most likely is no-one got around to finishing it. I would use it for a hobby.

That being said, have fun with it.

Edited by - The Balance Of Judgement on 19 Sep 2003 01:41:29Go to Top of Page

RobotIntestines
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  04:59:35
Thank you very much :)

I feel kind of stupid now. I spent two hours on that one screen, and I didn't once the notice the text: "Press 7 for additional drivers".

However, after trying all of the IDE drivers, I still get the same error message. Is it possible that this is being caused by a bad Rhaposdy CD?

Here is some more information about the error:

Everything before the error ("Press 7 for more drivers", etc) is white text on a full-black screen, just like Bios or DOS text.

The error screen is different. For one thing, it says "Rhapsody Mach Operating System" on the top, and it is a simple gray window.

Thank you again for replying. I am single minded in my quest to run Rhapsody :)

I understand that Rhapsody has almost no software to speak of, but mac-like OS's, especially on x86 hardware, are my passion.

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 19 Sep 2003 05:05:59Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  07:27:19
Officially only Intel PIIX IDE controllers were supported, and a very limited set of hardware. For example, AMD CPU's are not supported.

There are 2 sets of driver disks and boot disks, some were from DR1, and may offer better drivers than the newer ones. It would help if you tell me what kind of machine you are running it in, as it could very well be that your machine's specifications are too new. (Rhapsody is a good OS to try out on older hardware, newer hardware may choke it)

Since Rhapsody was very limited in what it supported, Video Devices, IDE Controllers could all be aculprit, especially non-intel systems like VIA and S3. (They may work but it's not going to be as easy or stable as "Intel" calibre devices.)

So let me know what you are running. (Also tell me what type of CD you run and what speed etc, name brand.)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  10:52:55
My Rhapsody CD does somethingl ike that as well, it might be a bad image, not the right CD or discs, and it might also be a bad burn...

Try installing it in VPC, all of that stuff is supported (or at least it works)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

RobotIntestines
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  12:55:54
quote:

Officially only Intel PIIX IDE controllers were supported, and a very limited set of hardware. For example, AMD CPU's are not supported.

There are 2 sets of driver disks and boot disks, some were from DR1, and may offer better drivers than the newer ones.......

Since Rhapsody was very limited in what it supported, Video Devices, IDE Controllers could all be aculprit, especially non-intel systems like VIA.....

So let me know what you are running. (Also tell me what type of CD you run and what speed etc, name brand.)

I am using much of the non-supported hardware that you mentioned.

AMD Athlon t-bird 1.3ghz
Motherboard: ABIT KT-7 RAID (VIA KT133 - VT8363/VT82C686A) - This came out four years ago.

The CD drive is a generic IDE. It burns at a maximum of 4x, and I think it reads at a maximum of 12x or 16x. (it is also four years old)

The video card is an ATI Radeon 9000.

The CD itself is a Maxell. I don't know any other specs on it other than that.

While Rhapsody may in fact not run with my hardware, I think the CD I have is almost definetly bad. It was originally a .sit file, which I uncompressed using the Windows version of Stuffit. It uncompressed to a .toast file, which I burned to CD using Nero. In Nero, I burned the image as "HFS".

(Instructions I found on another forum told me to do this. The above mentioned toast.sit file came with two floppy.img.sit files (installer and drivers), which didn't work. I found other floppy.img files, which I found somewhere else, which are currently working).

It is hard to tell if burned HFS CD's are good, as Windows can't read them. I have a Beos on this machine, would it be able to read Rhapsody disk images?

I have found a .ISO file that is labeled "Rhapsody DR2 Intel.ISO", which I have been trying to gain permission to obtain, for the past two weeks. (I have been waiting in a Hotline server for the last eight days, all day and all night :)

Even though Rhapsody may not run on my hardware, I am still determined to try :)

If it never works, I still have my 233mhz G3, and OS 8.1 on Basilisk :)

Thank you again for the help, there is so little information on this. (Especially when it comes to installing Rhapsody on actual x86 hardware, as opposed to VPC)

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 19 Sep 2003 12:57:37

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 19 Sep 2003 13:01:17Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  17:14:28
Rhapsody won't work on your Intel machine, it doesn't support AMD. Sorry.
And to burn the Rhapsody file, don't select HFS, as Rhapsody isn't HFS. Instead do this:

"When burning Rhapsody in Nero, select the menu option to burn a disc image file. Select the Rhapsody Toast file and click ok. Nero will prompt for settings. Alter nothing and click burn.

Windows won't mount the CD because it is UFS which Windows does not support without proper drivers from a third party."

So, yes your CD will be bad if it's done as HFS.

If you want to run Mach5 on your Intel machine, OpenStep/NextStep may work as I do recall it *might* offer AMD support. I am unsure what Virtual PC for Windows running on an AMD CPU will do, but you could try it.

Go to Top of Page

RobotIntestines
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  23:34:38
I have now installed Virtual PC for Windows.

I am now able to get much further into the Rhapsody installation process. The CD is definetly being read.

The problem now is that the installation stops and asks for input. It states:

quote:
BOOT_DISK

IDE DISK #1 (Type 225) - 599 MB

WHICH_DISK

---->

If I type "1", I get the following:

quote:

FDISK_MENU1 not found

And it won't accept any more input.

If I type "2", this happens:

quote:
AVAILABLE_DISKS

1. IDE DISK #1 (Type 225) - 599 MB

ALL_DISKS

---->

I am using a fixed virtual disk, and VPC has formatted it as FAT32.

My "virtual" CD drive is set to be slave on the primary IDE channel with the virtual hard drive as master, in VPC. (If I put the CD drive on the secondary IDE channel in VPC, Rhapsody can't read it).

Any ideas?

EDIT: OpenStep is now successfully installed and running via Virtual PC for Windows! (except that it boots to some sort of console, and it wants a "localhost login". Google is sparse on info. Where is the GUI?)

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 20 Sep 2003 05:07:55

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 20 Sep 2003 06:43:14

Edited by - RobotIntestines on 21 Sep 2003 02:02:25Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  01:23:11
you're supposed to uncheck "standard IDE configuration" in VPC, and on PC, use VPC 4 or earlier

My CD does almost exactly the same thing yours does... oddly enough...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  05:05:13
Ok, here are the directions:

Once Virtual PC is setup, make sure to disable any options that Rhapsody doesn't support. For example, disable sound and serial ports you don't need etc. Also be sure to disable Networking for the moment, some users have had problems installing when LAN was on.

When you create your new hard disk image for Rhapsody, create it as unformatted. Rhapsody uses the UFS filesystem, and it will format the drive as it sees fit.

I would suggest you burn your CD again, since HFS is very different from UFS. If you burn a UFS image using HFS settings, you might end up with a corrupted disk, and so far your install has not reached the point where it will actually use the CD yet, but when it does it could lead to failure.

Start Nero Burning ROM and tell it you want to burn a CD Image. Select the Rhapsody DR2 image file and select OK. Nero will pop-up a window asking for details. Alter NOTHING and click burn. This will create a good copy.

Your problem with the FDISK_MENU most likely is caused by using the wrong boot/driver disks. There are 2 versions, some were DR1, others were DR2, and actually, they sometimes worked better when mixed and matched. If you only have the one set, let me know where to send the others to you, I have the 4 boot/driver floppy disk images and can send them to you. That should fix that problem.

There is a version of the floppy disk that has drivers and it will pop a small "Function 1 ID:0" sign next to the driver it detects. So if you have cycled through all the lists of drivers and it doesn't do that, then you don't have the driver disk that does that. I will send those to you so you can be sure you have the correct driver.

Once the installer has the IDE drivers, it will format the disk (choose to use all of the disk, it's too complicated using part of it) and then start the install. Under Virtual PC, you can expect the install to take anywhere from 45 mintes to 3 hours depending on the speed of your machine and what version of Virtual PC you run.

I should mention you will run into a lot of problems that I won't be able to solve, like more kernel panicks, hangs etc. As soon as the other forums re-open, there is a huge thread on help relating to installing Rhapsody on Virtual PC.

One thing to note that don't assume it has crashed when it first boots up or if it crashed with a kernel panick after installing and reboots, it will run a fsck on the disks which take a long time since it physically verifies every piece of data. So if it doesn't do anything wait for a while, if after say 5 minutes it's still not doing anything then maybe it's crashed. When Rhapsody boots it should give you options as to what keys to press for more options.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

RobotIntestines
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  07:58:18
Wow, thank you. The posters in this forum are INCREDIBLY helpful :)

OpenStep is now functioning normally via VPC 4.1. (GUI, Dock, etc)

Back to Rhapsody:

Thank you for the Nero information. I have burned the CD per your instructions.

Hopefully my issue will be solved by one of your many suggestions. I hope that the issue does involve the driver disks. I actually tried feeding it my OpenStep driver disk, based on information in another thread, but Rhapsody said it was invalid.

Thank you both again.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.