All Forums
 Balloon Help
 HD doesn't mount
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  20:28:48
I have this external IBM hard drive and it's been annoying me as I have to mount it with drive setup (or some such app) whenever I want to use it. I know I sound like an idiot with this basic question, but how do I make it mount on startup? I don't know about any of the current jumper settings - the bus ID is set with a switch on the back so I haven't opened the case for any reason yet.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  20:43:25
I have two drives that are like that. One is a Seagate and the other is a, you guessed it, IBM. The IBM DFHS series especially is known to be seriously quirky. There are several steps* you can take to try to get it to mount at startup, but if they all fail, like they did with the two drives I have, you just have to get used to mounting them manually. I suppose you could write a script to mount them at startup, but I haven't tried it...

*1 - Make sure parity, auto-start and write-protect are disabled on the drive's jumper block.

2 - Make sure termination power is provided from the bus to the drive on the drive's jumper block.

3- Run SCSI Probe and set it to "try" to force the drive to mount at startup. This doesn't neccessarily work, and is a last resort.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  22:23:39
1) Get these settings from IBM?

2) Come again?

3) Good old scsi probe. Where can I get it? Everyone really should have it handy when using scsi devices, huh?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  00:05:22
quote:

I have two drives that are like that. One is a Seagate and the other is a, you guessed it, IBM. The IBM DFHS series especially is known to be seriously quirky. There are several steps* you can take to try to get it to mount at startup, but if they all fail, like they did with the two drives I have, you just have to get used to mounting them manually. I suppose you could write a script to mount them at startup, but I haven't tried it...

have you tried password protecting them with HDT so it will query the password at bootup and then mount the disk on input?
just a suggestion, clueless here!
jt2

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.