All Forums
 Lounge
 Mac G5
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  03:59:55
They have advertised on tv, but they say "the fastest most powerfull home computer"

Is this true?
Do they need to have proof?
What is this statement based on?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  04:12:04
Its based on their benchmark tests that they did at WWDC to demonstrate the power of the G5. I don't believe that a PC of those specifications that they demonstrated would normally be as slow as it was in the demo though.........

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  04:34:14
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/28/1346251&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=181Go to Top of Page
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  04:45:31
quote:

They have advertised on tv, but they say "the fastest most powerfull home computer"

Is this true?
Do they need to have proof?
What is this statement based on?

Based mostly on being:

64 bit
2GHz G5
Dual CPUs
marketed as a HOME computer

The latter is the important bit, when it comes to Marketingspeak. While there are certainly people around who might use multiple-cpu-intelbased-64-bit computers for home use, they're not -marketed- as home computers.

Same as when apple say it's the first 64 bit personal computer. There have been 64 bit machines somewhat common for 10 years in server land or workstation land, but not commonly marketed as "personal computers"

Personally(sorry :) I think the whole "server" "workstation" "personal computer" set of categories is so grey it's not much use... but marketing is a different animal entirely.

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  05:06:13
quote:

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/28/1346251&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=181

Thanks for the link, even though i can't read it...it seems i've been banned from /. for some reason...even though i never did anything wrong....unless my IP's been hijacked...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  06:57:55
Most likely your entire Colledge would be banned from seeing it if a person from your IP range did something bad. Usually it requires your ISP to contact the site and ask for thier network being allowed back.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  07:23:48
As for the whole G5 thing, it was the same deal when the G4 came out how they went on a rant about "gigaflop". So, sadly Apple is just another Intel wannabe trying to play the numbers game using Schycology. (I hate spelling!)

Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  09:46:05
quote:
Schycology. (I hate spelling!)

lets all say it together ... P-S-Y-C-H-O-L-O-G-Y

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  11:00:08
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht teh frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  13:06:17
quote:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht teh frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

ok .. thats definately got me confused ...

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  14:05:43
quote:

Most likely your entire Colledge would be banned from seeing it if a person from your IP range did something bad. Usually it requires your ISP to contact the site and ask for thier network being allowed back.

WTF...apparently someone using my IP hit them with over 200 404 errors....it definately wasn't me...........have i been hax0r3d?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  23:44:11
Fantastic replies all interesting, which is what i wanted rather than any one "defined" answer.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  06:18:29
tBoJ, what was the last word in your spelling post? that was the only one I didn't understand

other than that, yeah the G5 is the frist "personal computer" that's 64bit and stuff, and even if it's late to the 64bit game "per se" then it's still freakin' fast

I really do see a difference between server, workstation, business and home desktops (other than in Apple's products). Mostly I see this in the peesee market, where they are marketed to different people, they do have different FCC classifications (which is why an Xserve might not be allowed in "the home" (I don'tk now if it's FCC for home or office use)
In addition to that, they make "server" "workstation" "PC" and "Business PC" at different qualities, going from best to worst in the order denoted above

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  07:44:16
Last word Cory was "Cheerio".

Most consumer products when relating to electronics are rated for both home and office use. I believe where the big difference lies in the standards committees is the Industrial and Home/Office use, which in this case, the G5 would not have a proper rating for Industrial use, and would have to be evaluated. Even Apple does not warrant it's products for such use where it's an automated system where lives can be at risk.

That's why alot of computer products these days have a mixed rating or SOHO use, where by standards rating, a device is ready for home or office. To the IT folks the quality they need is usually not handed out by FCC or other standards branches but by independant testors who will rate products which have been designed exclusively for high input/output or profesional use. For example, when buying a Server Class SCSI drive, you will be paying the extra money for better heat resistance, better parts and more quality assurance from the company who has taken every step to ensure the drive will be 99.99% non downtime.

For home products alot of saftey checks (named thus for the safety of data etc.) are skipped because a homeuser does not rely on the drive as much as a huge company who is storing millions of dollars worth of data and who would be really upset if it died. Which is why many home products have a higher rate of RMA.

Apple is playing the Intel/PC game with the G5, by making it seem that people have never been able to get a 64-bit computer. Because frankly, most people won't pay attention to the words "personal computer" but instead listen to the hype about it's underhood components and 64-bit this and that.

The only people I can see who really benefit from a G5 are those who are in prepress, graphics and animations who do such in freelance. I don't see any urgent need for people to dump the machine they have to get a Rectangular Metal WasteBasket. (Beause to the average user all that jargon goes in one ear and out the other)

Supercomputers are nice, but they are not going to solve any of our problems, in fact if you have any problems on a machine it will be twice as fast to make mistakes as your last one. So, we keep going faster and faster without doing anything to keep things stable.

If Apple can design a fast compuyer that has no extra luggage, no extra Eye Candy and stands out as a slim, mean and functional machine that gets what you want done without any fancy heroics or antics, then they can capture the market. But right now when I look at Mac OS X and the machines, it seems X and XP both are in a pissing contest to see how many bells and whistles and candies they can stuff in without crashing a machine from all the bloat. And users are gonna puke one day over all of it, cause hey, too much candy makes you sick.

So that's my rant on stupid computers that have no real place in this world no matter how fast they are. I can still only type at 50 words a minute. :/

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  08:30:47
quote:

Most consumer products when relating to electronics are rated for both home and office use. I believe where the big difference lies in the standards committees is the Industrial and Home/Office use, which in this case, the G5 would not have a proper rating for Industrial use, and would have to be evaluated.

Actually, the FCC standards for home use are much more stringent than those for business/industrial use. That's why there's so much attention paid to RFI shielding in Apple's systems, which are designed to pass the tougher electronic interference tests for home use rating.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  10:20:42
An FCC rating, is much more stringint for home use, just like Trash just said. THis is why when shopping for a server, either it goes to a commercial setting (not in an office) or it can have a Class B (home/office) liscence (or whatever that was) Because G5 has a Class B rating, it can be use just about anywhere per the FCC...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.