All Forums
 Lounge
 Borked AirPort Extreme?
Author Topic  
Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  09:18:12
Well, I had my first kernel panic on my PBG4 recently, and now I find myself unable to use my AirPort Extreme card. it does not show up in the menu bar, and I cannot see it in the pulldown menu in network prefs. this is pissing me off, and scaring the hell out of me, thinking that I borked my AE.

any suggestions?

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  10:45:02
pop in yon's HardWare test CD and see if it shows present.

Then y'all should open Internet Connect and see if AirPort card is enabled. If it's not, turn it on...

You've told me that you sometimes have some things what with hacking and finding? see if there's another program using it (like KisMac)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  18:26:16
KisMAC does not run with airport extreme, and if it did, the airport would just be off, not nonexistant....

I'll pop the hardware test CD in tonite when I get home, and see if that'll solve it. The kernel panic happened when I went up to the AirPort menubar menu to re-enable it to see if there were any more airport networks in my range. It kernel panicked, and I had to restart, and forgot about scanning. The next evening (last night) I installed Konfabulator on it, and turned on the AirPort signal meter, and it came up as showing that I had not airport installed.

anyhoo, I'll see if I fried it or not tonite.

as for enabling it, the thing is that the card is non-existant according to the OS. the menubar menu for it is gone, along with the AirPort selection in the Network control panel. would disabling it somewhere do this?

thanks

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  20:42:38
You have probably already looked at "network port configurations" in the network pane, but it has a similar effect to what you are talking aboot. I lock my brother out of the pane on the iBook to keep him from even wanting to use it, hehe.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.