All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 UNIX-LINUX Install Project
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  05:12:14
Ok, the other day I had to makea raw SCSI Copy using Toast 3 Pro of a CD that the Mac didn't support.

It got me thinking that if we slowly started a project to create SCSI Device Copies of freshly installed UNIX or LINUX systems on 68k Macs it would be a cinch to help people install it.

First, the project would get folks to setup Stock machines with no extra parts etc., so that it would match a basic configuration. Then after the system is setup and ready, then the hard disk would be taken to another machine running Toast 3 and it would do a direct scsi copy to a toast image.

We would then have to figure out how to write that direct scsi copy to a hard disk. (The idea being a person downloads it, and iether copies the image or a CD of it directly back to a SCSI disk which is then placed in thetarget Mac and booted.)

Any ideas on this? This could potentially make installing *NIX on a 68k a whole tonne easier!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  05:19:13
Sounds interesting.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  11:08:28
If you make much progress, I'll try it out on my MacIIsi if I can ever find it

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  20:32:19
Humm… I dont know if that'd work…

Doesn't the linux Kernel compile its self for the exact machine it was installed on?
If so… that could be kinda a big hurdle…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  11:13:21
If you were to do that, and make an image for an LCIII (assume that wat derekcat said was true) you'd just need to make sure they had a similar hard drive, the same amount of memory, and the same PDS card installed (it's linux, so they'll pprobably have an ethernet card installed

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  11:29:03
The project would depend on the machines having a stock configuration.

For example, Linux would be installed with no extra options, standard RAM and a specific HD size.

No peripherals could be installed like extra non-standard mice or ethernet cards beyond what the machine has onboard.

Go to Top of Page

lemieux
Starting Member

Argentina
3 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  17:24:29
Other idea is make a CD Live, with a linux distro and boot from a diskette.

Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  21:24:36
Mac Linux things don't support floppies…

unless I dont quite understand what you are talking about…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  11:31:00
A Live CD could be made to boot from the CD, but it would be tricky to make plus it would require Mac OS Software and thus could not be distributed unless Apple gave the ok.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  10:26:24
Apple gave it "the go" several years ago, OS 7.5.5 and lower are open domain now.

BTW, I believe that we've had a cool ol' unix install one CD does it all discussion before, and it got quite far, but at that time, none of us knew too much about UNIX, and many of us knew even less about making a distribution on CD.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  21:28:18
Cory, Apple gave Mac OS 7.5.3 for free download for personal use, but Apple does not permit users to mirror or provide the software for download. For example, it is a violation of the license if you sell CD's of Mac OS 7.5.3.

So for a public project, it would be a violation of Apple's license and Apple would stomp the project if Apple's binaries were included. Binaries for 7.5.3 are provided for personal use, not for redistribution, one reason why many of the old user groups are no longer allowed to offer Mac OS System Software for download because Apple sent them letters demanding thus. It would be no different with this project.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  11:12:29
With "permission" usergroups are allowed to distribute the stuff, if the 68kMLA were to be a usergroup, we could distribute it, and likely, include it with our project. Also, nothing is stopping any of us from contacting apple, and asking permission to use a 'trimmed' version of 7.5.x with the "live boot" cd...

I think I might draft a letter or something for that tonight...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  17:14:49
No user support groups have permission which is reality right now, and Apple has a "policy" that no doubt will prevent any non-commercial licensing of Mac OS for other projects.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  09:23:37
Obviously, you haven't gone through the process of looking at the policies, FAQs and documents for starting a registered user group, because the updates and thigns available on the older sites, may be made available on media by the usergroups, if they have permission.

I still haven't drafted that thing to APple, (probably an eMail)...

eMail me cory5412@ureach.com, and remind me to. I bet we'd be able to make it happen.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Jamethiel
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  10:02:42
Why do you need MacOS? Why not take the native-boot code for NetBSD, fix it so it works on Linux and for more machine types, and set it up so that it can boot from CD? If memory serves, the way a Mac boots from CD is similar enough to how it boots from a hard drive to make it plausible.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  14:45:41
68K Machines do not have open firmware, so in oder to run Linux, Mac OS needs to initialize hardware before Linux can take over.

It would take a lot of work, hacking and so called "illegal" reverse engineering to make Linux boot straight from the disk without Mac OS. But in any case, a HFS partition is required because the ToolBox has no other options. (Unless someone were to patch the ROMS and burn thier own modified chips, which is interesting but perhaps risky considering tyhe technical know-how that's required, not to mention the old ROMS have to be removed and new ones re-soldered.)

As regards user groups, to this date most usergroups I have been to don't have mac OS for download.

Read http://mac512.com/ssdl.htm Cory...Apple sent letters asking them to stop offering files for downloads. And they are a registered User Group.

As for asking Apple, I'm sure it's worth a shot. Worst is they say no. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jamethiel
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  18:24:19
Perhaps Linux still needs MacOS to initialize the hardware, but there are two known cases of NetBSD booting without MacOS. Okay, so both known cases are SE/30s, but it's a start, and I doubt it will remain just SE/30s.

And I just took 45 seconds to confirm what I already knew about bootable CDs for the Mac: They have a partition map at the front with a driver partition. That is more than enough leeway to persuade the system to load a kernel from an ISO9660 filesystem instead of the System file from an HFS filesystem.

Yes, it would be a lot of work. But quite a bit of the work has already been done.

Oh well, if you guys won't go for it, I'll float the technically simpler idea of doing it for NetBSD instead of Linux to the NetBSD team in a couple months...

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  13:31:54
tBoJ: it might have been because they hadn't asked apple if they could distribute the files, and it may have been before apple opened up 7.5 to the world, or versions that apple hasn't opened up.

Because I HAVE read on apple's site, that if you tell them what you're offering, and get permission, it is legal, and they will let you.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  14:58:53
A few comments:

NetBSD is not very picky about the machine, which is to say that you can move an installation from an SE/30 to a Q950 without a hiccup. (Though you may have to change a couple of settings in the booter if the SCSI ID of the drive has changed.) Linux should be the same.

Making a bit-for-bit copy from within Unix is dead simple: use dd. Just ensure that the source partition(s) are mounted read only and the destination is on another drive. You may also want to zero the drive (again, use dd) prior to installing the system since that would give you better compression for the drive image -- so several configurations can be shipped on one CD. So how would you restore the image without having Unix first: use SunTar. IIRC, it will write to raw devices from within Mac OS, it is small enough to fit on a floppy, and it doesn't require any special extensions. (Anybody know how to replace the Finder with SunTar so that we can fit everything onto a single bootable floppy?)

The Mac OS bit is easy to deal with: create a bootable system then strip out anything owned by Apple. The user would simply reinstall Mac OS after writing the image to disk. This isn't a problem since a basic System Folder would include the System file, Finder, the booter (in the Startup Items folder), and the booter preferences files -- we would only have to remove two files. Granted, to do it properly we would need to use a utility which wipes the data too.

The real issue is the hard drive: it will be a different size on each machine. Now suntar won't care if the image being written is smaller than the drive. Will Mac OS care under similar circumstances? If it doesn't, we have a bootable machine. I doubt that Unix would care either, so we would have a working machine with some lost disk space. Is that disk space recoverable? Perhaps it would be under Unix, but I doubt that you could use it under Mac OS. Under ideal circumstances, we would have to decide how large the drive image should be to suit the needs of most people.

Finally, it wouldn't be worth doing this for a basic installation -- that is easy enough to do on your own. If it isn't easy enough to do on your own, then it is because the instructions are poorly written. If the instructions are poorly written, then I would suggest changing the instructions rather than creating pre-installed CDs.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  19:53:53
*all* of MacOS, and the boot rom inside the computer, are owned by Apple.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  09:57:45
quote:

*all* of MacOS, and the boot rom inside the computer, are owned by Apple.

Why would you need to copy the ROM? All you need is data from the hard drive.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  10:56:37
I never said that you'd need to copy it, just merely including it in my list of things owned by Apple, and of the things owned by apple, included is just about everything you'd need in order to make a macintosh boot.

The System file, (which you'd still need, even if you replaced the finder), for example, is "owned by apple"

a way around this, is to make someone download the discs from apple on their own, and then make our own disc available, that has our 'installer' and the non-apple utilities.

Method 1:
download the 7.5.x installer set from apple, and install a minimal system onto a 40mb partition, or seperate hard drive.

Download our "BSDInstalloMattic" disc, and run the program on your computer.

Enjoy NetBSD
End Method 1.

What you want to do, is possible, even if apple won't let you distribute a modified version of their OS.

Another thing you could try, is distributing a disc with just a system file, and a program you made on your own (a compiled HyperCard stack, for example)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.