All Forums
 Lounge
 look over and down.
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  22:52:36
in case you havn't noticed allready, I am bored, and seeing how much punishment I can put windows ME thru before it crashes. it's starting to crash now, so I'll be back in a bit with my stats.

thldefkv

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  23:14:36
hahahahhaah! 57 apps, 5 mins 24 seconds, final CPU temp mesured before snow crash, 67.254 degrees celcius. windows ME, 512MB RAM, GeForce 2MX, 120GB HD, 1.3GHz AMD athalon.

THndnss

THldks""S
THnsskd"/k
sjdoasa

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  23:25:27
LOL, nice

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  12:46:25
at the risk of sounding stupid, I'd like to say that WinME has beenvery good to me.

My Athlon 700 literally crashed once every two hours, and had a BSOD every other shutdown (if I made it that far) with Win98...

WinME has been much nicer to use on it.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  15:16:28
heh. how long have you had winME on it for? belive me, after a month, you even think about even touching any computer and it crashes.

THdnd

'""D"""ssadf

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  15:33:47
well... we've had the computer since 2000~ish

I'd say I've had WinME for at least a year
and it was sometimes installed for months at a time...

ran FANTASTICALLY...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  00:59:59
I've had good luck with ME, too. I don't know why so many people hate it. Windows 98, on the other hand.....is the opposite.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  03:04:47
Windows ME has a feature that is present in other Windows now called System Restore. The only thing is Windows ME's version CANNOT be shut down and it copies every file you ever possibly made..and it keeps copying them untill the disk is full and never removes them. EVER.

Not to mention the libraries are buggy, see, it was the first OS Microsoft moved away from Dos. No longer did folks have a option to start to dos.

Anyways, do a google search and you see so many ME support questions.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  06:40:18
but it was still based on DOS, it was supposed to be what XP home is today... but it is still good IMHO..

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  07:52:04
All it took to completely crash and hose a totally fresh install of Win98 on a reformatted HD was sticking in a PCMCIA Compact Flash Adapter Card... looking for new hardware .... installing drivers..... HURL!!!

Even an attempted clean reinstall of the OS would not get the machine running again. I had to totally reformat the drive and reinstall the crapware OS from scratch.

Windows: its not just a bad idea, its the law.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  10:51:13
most OSs on Intel platforms I've experienced like to BorkOut(Add TM here) when you add drivers to them... OpenStep doesn't like it most of the time (maybe that's just OpenStep though, it works great if you configure it right the first time )

I guess that's a great example of how bad 98 is though, even 95 ran better on that Athlon than 98 did

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  15:18:51
I agree. Windows 95 might be old, but it still rocks compared to 98.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  20:47:33
I think we all remember the great demo billie boy gave where it crashed the computer because of drivers

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  21:27:10
Yes.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  21:35:40
That was because of drivers?

Drivers for WHAT?!?!?!?!?! the PROJECTOR or something??? /me faints...

some projectors do have drivers IIRC...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  22:12:16
No, for the scanner they were trying to connect, to demonstrate Plug n Pray.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  11:24:37
I wonder what y'all are even able to use windoze for. Only a handful ov the hundreds ov appz I use run on it. Last one I could get myself to bother with was an emulator for yet another old operating system, so it hardly even counts.

Maybe I could use the prospect ov windoze based development as a sort ov "intelligence test" to winnow out possible employment opportunities, and support the rest!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  21:57:09
LOL, well when I use windows, it's "just the stuff" like, I'll sometimes use Office on a PC, because it has a floppy drive, and/or because that's where my printer is (the advent of USB and OSX has changed all that though )

Other than that, I used to use my WinME PC for just about everything...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  22:36:33
I fix PCs and networks and what ever else is broken for a living and I can tell you the #1 reason that Windows systems are so unstable.

Drum roll please
Crappy Hardware. If you use good quality hardware Windows systems can be very stable. We have built systems that have been running in a concrete plant for the last 5 years and have never missed a beat.

This is Apple biggest advantage over the Wintel world. They control the entire process so they can insure that only the highest quality parts go into a system. This is the main reason for the high cost of Apple's systems.

--Eric

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  23:01:26
And then there's the crappy people, too. If you set up a Windows system PROPERLY, then it will be very stable. If not, expect a crash every hour on the hour.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  06:18:08
Windows systems aren't that good, (usually) when you know when to expect a crash, sometimes youy'll see a pattern (like with my 98box ) but other than that... (unless you've been feeding your wintel systems MetaMucil

so yeah, but it's not just hardware, it's the setup, it's the people who use it, maintain it and who regularly have contact with it...

and on the topic of Microsoft's Consumer (type) OSs... Win 95-ME... they WERE NOT meant for multiple people were they? I'm just CERTAIN that if most PCs I've seen, had only one person using them, they'd be better off...

which is why I think that the concept of "family PC" is old, outdated, and somewhat stupid...

Let's take a look at Mattell here, anyone remember the hotwheels and barbie PCs? (now resold as the burbie PC IIRC) they were a 333MHz Celeron with 32, 54, 128 or 160/256MB of RAM, a decent lil' graphics controller, and like a 6/8/10 GB hard drive.

They were styled into a compact, durable case that appealed to youngsters, and they were not really meant for the parents to use... THIS is the kind of thing that families need, a computer for the kids (or one for each kid) and a computer for the parents, and maybe a server with a printer/scanner/iNetconnection/web/eMail etc etc (this is almost where the Intrikit Weaver concept comes from (it is most certainly where I got the idea for iServe)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  06:38:23
quote:

... THIS is the kind of thing that families need, a computer for the kids (or one for each kid) and a computer for the parents, and maybe a server with a printer/scanner/iNetconnection/web/eMail etc etc (this is almost where the Intrikit Weaver concept comes from (it is most certainly where I got the idea for iServe)

This is a convincing argument for an Apple free world! With the painful cost premium for buying even one Mac for a family, what are the odds of Apple competing against the WinTel juggernaught in such an market niche?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  18:02:14
you PEOPLE!!!! don't you relise that corperate spies and scanners are constantly scanning the forums of the net for random blurts that make the new prouduct!!! RURHGTL

THEdfng
"more FJOURDS!"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  23:44:03
quote:

Windows systems aren't that good, (usually) when you know when to expect a crash, sometimes youy'll see a pattern (like with my 98box ) but other than that... (unless you've been feeding your wintel systems MetaMucil

so yeah, but it's not just hardware, it's the setup, it's the people who use it, maintain it and who regularly have contact with it...

and on the topic of Microsoft's Consumer (type) OSs... Win 95-ME... they WERE NOT meant for multiple people were they? I'm just CERTAIN that if most PCs I've seen, had only one person using them, they'd be better off...

which is why I think that the concept of "family PC" is old, outdated, and somewhat stupid...

Let's take a look at Mattell here, anyone remember the hotwheels and barbie PCs? (now resold as the burbie PC IIRC) they were a 333MHz Celeron with 32, 54, 128 or 160/256MB of RAM, a decent lil' graphics controller, and like a 6/8/10 GB hard drive.

They were styled into a compact, durable case that appealed to youngsters, and they were not really meant for the parents to use... THIS is the kind of thing that families need, a computer for the kids (or one for each kid) and a computer for the parents, and maybe a server with a printer/scanner/iNetconnection/web/eMail etc etc (this is almost where the Intrikit Weaver concept comes from (it is most certainly where I got the idea for iServe)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Very good ideas, Cory. One computer isn't enough for a family anymore, really.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  06:11:58
I've always thought that Apple should sell discounted "packs" of desktop macs, like I used to think that they should sell like, four iMacs and a G4 tower with JagServer 10client for $3500 ~ish...

that way, everyone in the family has a workstation, and they all have part of (however much room is on the G4's HDD)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  14:22:17
cory, couldnt one just put that together themself?

but for an average family [four person], I think two computers would work great…
I mean with OS X and everything, the only problem is managing everyone's time, You don't have to worry about running out of space since you've got a CD Burner and CDs are practically free [well they ARE free some times…]anyway, but I don't really see the reason to get a whole server setup just for a family… I mean, you could just go out and get a Firewire drive to share…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  18:59:49
Actually, I can see how a server would be useable, but then again, I myself have traditionally had up to and beyond five, six, seven even computers that I use almost all of which I like to be able to access the same documents...

I've in the past worked on a concept of the "iServe", it's somewhat like an iBook, but closer in functionality to an Xserve, has snotloads of storage, and is great for all of those things that home people do, like sharing music (between all their home computers), web sharing, router, print server and such...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  22:28:50
I think, on a semi related note, that Panther USer Switching will reduce the need for multiple computers....as much. My family often doesnt need to be at the computer, but wants things left the way they are. With proper usage, this could be a godsend.

Home "thin" clients and servers *could* be worth it if made cheap enough too.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2003 :  00:33:04
YES! I can see it now! 4 thin client eMacs netbooting off a G5 server!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  11:46:12
that is not what fast user switching is...

Fast user switching is exactly the way it is in WinXP...

the reason I say that families could benefit from having multiple computers attached to a server, is because in one family I know of, they basically have three people who want to use the computer, two of which share a very similar schedule, the ony way of combatting their scheduling problems, is by using the computer in one hour blocks (the family computer, that is...)

so when they got the internet in their rooms, they needed to use the family computer for less and less, only one of them needs to use it all the timen ow, and that's for the games that wont' run on his own machine... The dad's schedule is a bit different, so he uses the computer when noone else is...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.