Hello form the UK fellow 68k'ers
Author Topic  
atarian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  12:28:45
Hi all,

just found this forum so thought I'd introduce myself. Been using Mac's since the early 90's and have a large old collection of stuff, didn't realise there were so many other old mac fans out there.
Well anyhow I got a good haul of stuff today, a local computer store that a friend of mine works in as an engineer was having a clearout so I became the luck recipient of a car full of macs.
Here's what I got.

LC 10/100, ethernet card, 12" colour monitor, keyboard(design) & mouse.

IIsi with enternet card & nubus adapter, 9/80

IIsi also with nubus adapter/co pro 5/80

LC630 (040/33) 12/350 with CD running OS8

7500/100 with 8/1 gig and CD running OS8.6.

3 working Extended keyboards too.

They all got fitted with new PRAM batteries too!! I swapped this lot for 2 15" SVGA monitors I had spare, no bad huh?

They all work too, sorry just wanted to brag, this is the best one shot haul I ever had :-).

here's a full list of MAc's.

IIci bought in 1994
7100/66 bought in 1996
Quadra 700
IIvi with Daystar 040/40
Performa 400
LCIII
Powerbook 3400(my main system!!!)

All these are runners and get used pretty regularly, my mom uses the 7100/66 for email & Shanghai at her home. The IIvi drives my Laserwriter 300(Pretty snappy performance too with that 040 card), I word process a lot on the quadra(networked to the vi from another room) and the PB does everything else.

Anyhow it's nice to come across some other mac fans who remeber and still use the old hardware.
Best regards.

Multitasking works best if you have 20 computers :-)

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  23:48:36
Nice score!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  06:28:17
What's particularly nice about your recent haul -- and your other Macs, for that matter -- is eclecticness of it and the nice add-ons and other innards. The IIsi enet adapter; the FPU added to the other IIsi; the Daystar '040 in the IIvi; the IIvi itself (which is pretty rare compared to the IIvx's that seem to find their way into almost everyone's collection); the new PRAM batts on all those old Macs; the matching 12" monitor for the LC; and so on.

There's something particularly satisfying about creating an '040-based IIvi, for example, versus just using a Quadra 650. They look nearly identical from the outside, and it's simpler (and often cheaper) to get the 650, but it's just not as cool somehow, especially when you have one part of the setup sitting around for awhile, and then one day for whatever reason the other part comes into your possession.

Anyway, have fun with all that stuff.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, custom silver case, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 128/2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

atarian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  11:17:59
Thanks for the replys folks.

Tmtomh: Yes I had real fun building the vi into a pretty fast little machine, more fun as you say than just going straight to a Quadra 650. it can be very satisfying to get a very slow system into a really useful one(it also has an Apple 24AC display card, 1 2gig & 1gig drives).

I previously had rescued a Quadra 950 with a PPC601 card & 20" two page display, this was also a very nice machine, just a little big and loud for my taste, that one I donated to a local hospital(along with a LC 475 & LCIII setup's)

that were setting up some machines for the patients to use while in convalesence(where my mom picked up her computer interest and addiction to Shanghai while a patient).

In my opinion these old machines can still have a very useful life, my son who is in primary school now, enjoys using them, they even have a few Quadra's at his school still in active duty, the MacOS is much better suited to the educational enviroment than windows, just much more intuitive I feel.

Well keep up the good work folks & see if you can find some really useful stuff to do with these old machines, a G5 would be nice but do you really need it?

Best regards,
Chris
PS.
I have found a good place to look for old Mac's is at your local recycling centre, my local one regularly has the odd machine or 2. they usually only charge a tenner or so for enough to fill the car.

Multitasking works best if you have 20 computers :-)Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.