All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Quadra 605 Sightings
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:49:40
Well, as hard as it is I have 2 sighting to report, and if some of them are still there when I have money, I will be buying one!

First sighting was at Simply Computing, a Apple Authorized reseller, who is selling one at 30 dollars, but the machine looks brand new, other than some weird circular marks on the case that looks like cigarete lighter marks. :/ I'm sure they come off easy...they don't look like the plastic is damaged.

The second sighting is at an Eye Glass store. The gentleman there runs a Quadra 605 to hold databases, customer information, and has a External hard drive and CD hooked up as well as an ImageWriter II to print carbon copies. Sadly, his ImageWriter II is missing parts and needs replacement. I'm gonna try and get him one since He doesn't want to have to replace the entire system just for the printer.

So, have you seen a Quadra 605 around?

And btw Dana, I think I want to join your 605 fanclub. You should use your graphic skills and make a Find Quadie 605 Wallpaper, to se ehow many 605's people can find, just like those Find Waldo books.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  23:16:37
quote:

And btw Dana, I think I want to join your 605 fanclub. You should use your graphic skills and make a Find Quadie 605 Wallpaper, to se ehow many 605's people can find, just like those Find Waldo books.

Good idea!

I haven't really seen a Q605 around, but one time, when i was at the Shop, we got this weird LC475 in. It was your standard LC475, but the standard LC lid had been replaced with a 605 lid. Unfortunately, it didn't really fit....

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  23:24:39
Hey BoJ

I'm pretty sure that the 605 at Simply has rubber feet marks from a monitor. It'll come off easily.

Dana, got me going on my search for a 605, too. Found mine at Value Village.

Let me know if you can't find an IW II. I've got one at work if you need it.

K

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  01:55:07
My e-mail will be down for a few hours Kami, but yes I haven't been able to find anything as of yet. The only ones I know I can get are at Mac market but it costs way too much to go out there, I'd have to talk with the guy first. See, you/I walked in with a replacement IW II he's prob have no issues saying sure here's 20 bucks etc. But if I have to travel all the way out there, then test it, and if it doesn't work take it back...hehehe it gets mesy.

So if you have one, I'll e-mail tomorow morning or I can give you his address for his workplace and you can strike a deal with him. I'm not looking to make money on this, My family gets glasses there and so do some of our friends and I would hate to see him have to spend money to get a complete new system. (He sells glasses at discount which makes it easier on low budget families to get glasses. His place is called Doug's Eyecare or something, just on Scott Road.)

Plus, for him, finding a printer able to do a carbon copy is gonna be hard. I just know if he tries to get a replacement which he has tried already, they are gonna pressure him to buy anew computer. I don't see the logic for him to buy a new computer. The Quadra 605 is more than enough for what he uses. Besides, the way crime is going, a new computer would just get stolen, along with his precious data. I do want to offer to do a backup for him though on CD. He needs to keep stuff safe just in case. Anyways, if a thief ever breaks in, the Quadra 605 will look older and not owrth anything so unless the thief is a Mac Addict, I doubt it's going anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  08:10:24
Nice piccies, Dana! Where'd you find the G5 piccies? That sure is a big@$$ heatsink!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  09:47:32
one big happy family! . .all of those hooked up dana? If so, how do you manage kvm? It would be ridiculous to have monitors, keyboards and mice for all o those (IMHO).

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

elakazal
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  12:29:25
Maybe this belongs in Hacks, but since we're on the subject...

Has any one tried overclocking a 475/605 to more than 33MHz? I've done the resistor swap to 33MHz, and I'd like to try higher, but I'd like to talk to folks who've already done it if they're around...mostly just to work up the nerve.

I know it'd be cheap to replace, but I'd hate to screw up the thing now that I've put so much work into it.

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  14:33:24
quote:
Has any one tried overclocking a 475/605 to more than 33MHz? I've done the resistor swap to 33MHz, and I'd like to try higher, but I'd like to talk to folks who've already done it if they're around...mostly just to work up the nerve.

Yep, I have a 605 at 42mhz, a 475 at 40mhz, and another 475 at 41mhz. The 605 is my webserver, and it has been up 24/7 for 3 months now without any problems.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  20:48:50
BoJ

I'll test an IW II, find a good one and give it to you to give to the fellow. It'll be better coming from you. I won't be able to do this until Monday. I may also have a Q605 for you, too!!

Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  01:18:55
i want a 605, but unfortunately they seem rather rare in the UK

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.