Lounge
 FirstClass 7.1
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:26:32
Today, I registered for a "free" FirstClass server, it's the "Introduction Edition"

This weekend I'll be working with OSX server, so I'll try it then (if I have it) also.

It looks to be a decent thing, it makes me think of a novell system though... (which is part of why I'm trying it on the IW)

It's free for a "into edition" so maybe this'd be a good idea tBoJ?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:35:58
Eww.....Novell....yuck. Are you sure you really want to downgrade to that POS, Cory?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:55:58
I meant that firsclass sounded like novell, which is why I'm trying firstclass on the IW (maybe)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:56:19
Rest assured, FirstClass is no Novell, it's 100X faster, reliable and portable. In fact, they are making UNIX/Linux versions available now And the special tools so you can migrate servers between platforms.

The Introduction edition is limited to 5 users I believe Cory, I registered for one too, and I have the files on CD somewhere. The documentation is a little scarce, but you should be able to get on. Use the ".fc" file in the server folder to connect. I think it's called admin.fc or something.

Licenses for FirstClass lst time I inquired, I had a price of $499.00 for roughly 500 licenses. The more buk the cheaper. And licenses can iether be purchased by the users or by you. So for example, if you run a server, you can require that users purchase a license. So, you would include the price for a license in thier access price. It's best to buy in packs of 100, and you decide if the user buys the license or if you include it in costs. But the rep I believe said it was even possible for a user to purchase a license on thier own...You'd have to checkw ith them though.

But FirstClass as a server product and a company is really nice because everything is so well laid out I wouldn't mind spending 400 on a good system like that. We'll see where it goes from here for my system.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  06:26:56
Cool, I'm going to try out the personal edition, (I have a few multiplatform-ness computers and stuff I can muss around with) and see if firstclass even does what I can't do with other things.

(This is part of my project nowl, the IW one.)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.