68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Billions of Gigs not working on my 950!.
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  02:56:08
Today's frustrating :D

first off, the 10Gb drive I ebaybought arrived - a seagate 9.1Gb, brand newbie (not a fingerprint on it!. alright. till I prodded it...) but anyhows.

first thing I did was a quick Drive Setup, which did the low level format thing, then reported the drive was too big. so I left it at the 4Gb partition it suggested, with the rest of the space free, and formatted... and all was good. up came the drive, it ticked away - you know the feeling, you want to play with something quickly :). So I tried to reformat with some smaller partitions - not too large, and HFS as it'll be a drive used through many machines - I picked an initial 1Gb part, and the rest at 2 - then when applying the partitions - this time it failed. *whaaa*

So I can't get it back to how it was before. I can keep trying partitions again n again, but nothing happens but a fail, through reboots, reformats etc. Any clues? any utilities that might help? any other particular machines I may be able to try formatting on which could be just plain 'better'?

ta for any advice (even the bad but funny stuff)
dana

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  10:21:23
I have one of those ST410800N's, too. They're pretty decent drives, if full-height and a bit on the slow side. I didn't think a full-height 5.25" fit inside a Q950 case? This is good news!

Anyway-!

First off, you have to make sure the drive is jumpered properly. I'm sure you were able to set the ID, but don't forget to make sure that parity, write-protect and auto-start are disabled, and that termination power is set to be supplied from an internal source (the SCSI bus), to the drive. You can find all these jumper settings here. Next, forget using Apple's DriveSetup. I don't care that it can be hacked to use third party drives, I just don't like it. FWB Hard Disk Toolkit, IMHO, is the absolute best app for formatting/managing drives, and I can upload it to either the 68k hotline server or to my FTP site later tonight so that you can download it.

By the way, the drive should come out to 8.6GB under HFS format. Mine did, anyway.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  15:52:40
quote:

It's been so close to nearly-working several times in the last 24 hours... and I've been awake most of that messing about with it :D.

dana (oh sleep sleep sleep... I need some)

sleep! .......... why, why, why, more fun withou... . .? . .zzzzz
jt2 <8-}

p.s. If hdt doesn't work I've got a few revs of the APS utilities, a really old silverlining and a couple of seagate utility disks from the dark side. Maybe if you trick it into being a pc disk firs ....... actually you could fdisk/linux/whatever to do the same and try mac reformatting after it thinks it's alive again. The controller is probably as befuddled as the befuddler!

Edited by - alcoa on 08 Feb 2002 16:03:38Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  20:07:19
Okay, our Hotline server is down, so I just compressed it and uploaded it to my site. You can get it right here. It's not too big, so i think I'll leave it there for a while or at least until the hotline server's back up. I don't think anyone on the forum should be liberating without it!

666th poster to the

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  23:57:41
quote:

did I mention I can't write to the disk without random lockups?
dang
termination
I hate scsi, I love scsi!

get some sleep, you're starting to sound less coherent than that trash80 guy!
jt2 <8-}

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  07:11:06
quote:

*grin*

confused! did I mention I am confused!

hardware sucks!

dana

*grin*

you forgot to mention firmware!

firmware sucks!

jt2 <8-}

Edited by - alcoa on 09 Feb 2002 07:11:49Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  07:27:11
quote:

Ta - hope this doesn't mean you have to rip a drive out of a working machine to look at!

Seagates site has a lot of good info and their own downloadable test routines for vvindows, gotta winbox to run 'em?

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/low_level_mac.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html#SCSI

jt2 <8-}

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  09:44:27
I see you're hard at work with SCSI voodoo - sticking pins everywhere

The theory of SCSI termination is sound - in practice though you need to consult the luna calander, check for solar flares, make sure you're wearing one of those static wrist straps (the anti-static ones do not work very well) and you'll need to hop around on your left leg while singing 'the hills are alive with the sound of music....' - all the while poking and prodding at the devils HD with pins and 'sticks of justice'

You have (correctly) left the HD unterminated, however tried the setup with termination on? You could also try removing the 950 terminator, removing devices in the SCSI chain, changing the physical order of SCSI devices....... and variations thereof.

You could also haul out one of your Q605's (they're the ones with the cute feet don't you know ) and do your formatting on that. The reason being that you eliminate a lot of the SCSI voodoo until such time as the disk is working. After that you can play the game of 'stick the HD to the 950'

What OS are you running on that 950 anyway?

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:14:05
I've thrown some HD formatting tools on my web site. I'm not sure how long I'll leave them there as I have limited space, although they'll be there for a week or two at least.

cheers
Flash!

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:16:27
quote:

I see you're hard at work with SCSI voodoo - sticking pins everywhere
(the anti-static ones do not work very well) and you'll need to hop around on your left leg while singing 'the hills are alive with the sound of music....' - all the while poking and prodding at the devils HD with pins and 'sticks of justice'

I always hopped on my right leg while administering electrical therapy at 12 volts with the jumper cables from my truck (indeterminate amperage chassis ground and a length of welding stick in the hot clamp.). With the proper carpet, shoes and a knitting needle your system would probably be just as effective, however regulating the voltage of the shock therapy might be problematic. I'm more comfortable with a stable 12v source, it would be more convenient if the PSU were indoors though .... maybe I should try a lump-on-a-rope .... anybody know how many milliamps a pickup truck's alternator puts out?

jt2 <~=8-}~~~~~ *oooohhh!~~ hop, hop,......*

btw: the microquadra angle is a great idea, I kept forgetting to suggest trying the external bus, mixing up the scsi voodoo is also a good idea. Maniac, have you got any externals with active (variable-auto-sensing) termination like the APS exthdd cases to stick on the end of the chain?

Edited by - alcoa on 09 Feb 2002 10:20:30Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:25:39
quote:

Dana (tired. the 605 can wait till tomorrow. Or next week. Or another drive)

not tired enough that you can't outtype me by quite a few WPM!
*where was that mavis........
jt2 <8-}

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:39:19
quote:

survived a reboot! Not only that, it's not locking up with lots of copying-the-8.1-cd-to-it *grin*. I think it's a combination of needing to use 8.x, and mounting it after boot with FWB's mounter.

fingers crossed.

figured you'd tried all the usual stuff, but never know, so policy is to ask 'em all JICase. If you need to mount after boot, try what i suggested for cine's troublesome drives. password protect the volume w/hdt and it will look for the drive, quer...... etc. How does the drive do during hdt's test at startup.... have you tried that option yet?

mine to, check six comrade!

quote:

insanadanabananamacarena (8.6 gigs of..)

now why would you say that? you always struck me as maniacal, but you're fun in a much too deliberate/cerebral way to be insane, IMHO of course! Besides, you wouldn't want to have jumper cables/knitting needles etc. in hand for that particular troubleshooying methodology! ........... *then again she just MIGHT be ins........*

jt2

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:42:03
quote:

If it doesn't need fixing... play with it till it does.

just be careful with the knitting needles.........btw: how are the sneakersox for the MicroQ.feets coming along?
jt2 *guessing her self diagnosis might be more accurate than ....... *

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:50:53
Good to hear, except that now my 950 is even more jealous. It only has 980 MB of space, even with 6 drives...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  03:17:59
This may sound crazy.... but I'd love to see if I can get it to go (although it will probably keep me up till 5am.....again...) I've some stuff that I would swap for it - and my stuff works too :p Drop me an email if you're interested

Flash!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  11:13:01
Yay! Now if only I could figure what to do with my ST410800N... I have a full-height SCSI case, but I had to cannibalize the SCSI ID selector switches for another case, and the case is one of those odl ones that won't work if you set the ID via jumpers. I have a bunch of the wires, just not the switch itself. I bet I could find one at Radio Shack though, eh?

666th poster to the

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  11:48:12
I know, those full-height drives are wicked-hungry. I took the entire drive shefl out of my IIci and it actually fits inside, but the IIci's PSU isn't strong enough to spin it. I did get a new 4-bay SCSI case for my 7500 (in an effort to use up all 7 ID's on the external bus), and it only has two 3.5" drives in it now. Only problem is the case is only setup for 3.5" wide drives, although, if I turn the ST410800 on it's side, it may just squeeze in...

666th poster to the

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  12:54:03
Right, the heat issue would most likely be a problem, which is why I haven't tried it. I figure, since I have the other full-height case collecting dust anyway, just have to vulture-ize me a selector switch... and it would make a great backup drive for the Quadra 840av.

666th poster to the

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  23:19:27
Hey dana, do you have that 950 extension that fixes up the "Millions" color display? It's the only Mac I have that can do 24 bit color, and it screws up!

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  06:04:10
Strange... I'm running 7.5.5 and it still has redraw problems in 24 bit color... it's a NEW MYSTERY!

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:14:51
That's EXACTLY what happens on mine...
"It's a feature, not a bug"...

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  07:13:39
No just a pattern (7.5).

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  09:38:20
Now it's my turn to rant. The ST410800N I have used to work fine in the case that it's in, but now it's being an arse. I finally got it to like the SCSI ID selector switch, but now it's not recognized on the SCSI bus, and crashes any attempt to launch FWB Mounter. I feel your pain, Dana!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.