All Forums
 Lounge
 it hased to be windows....
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:23:38
raugh!!! everyone is turning stupid!! I'm setting up a server in my garage, (with four 47GB SCSI drives ) and it's a linux server..... my dad is getting pissed off at linux (or any other OS that isn't windows, for that matter)... here's the full story...

I tried to install mandrake, half of the OS gets corrupted on initial download, hence, causing the OS to become extreamly unstable and corrupt itsellf from the inside out, and my dad was all like "oooh... linux isn't all that good...." so I just said fsck it and tried to install SuSE. everything went fine, until the veeeeeeery last package when THE COMPUTER CRASHED. once again, more dad ranting about how non-good linux is. now. as iw as installing it for the second time today, when my dad came out, while I was in the disk setup screen. I was going to make 3 drives as a 138GB RAID 0 setup, and one drive for my dad. he saw that and freaked out, CLAIMING that the thing hased to be formatted windows so it can share windows files, and I was all like nuh uhhh, and in fact it doesn't even LIKE sharing fat32 all that much anyways, so he went on in this hugeass rant about it absolutely HASED to be windows to share files with windows computers, and I said that the only thing that matters is the protocol. as long as the windows computer is capable of connecting to SMB servers (which I hope and pray to god that it is, otherwise I'm going to have to break some stuf in rage and confusion...) THAT and I need help making SMB server in linux please help I need help HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!! anyhoo yes. my dad sais if this doesn't work, I'm going to have to make it an all-windows machene (which will mean yet ANOTHER crappy windows computer that I have to fix on a dayly basis) so please help
me need SMB SERVER SETUP HELP!!! RAHGHGUN!!! HELP ME LOTS!!!

RTKHTLKEFNVLAkdfhgqopirenqasdfFKAHFLkgvnv
:"when I'm 64!!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:43:12
I can confirm the ability of Linux boxes being able to do SMB, I cannot tell you how to set it up though. Google yet?

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:45:56
google lots for hours. all it has is people asking how to do it...... I am noticing a trend.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  17:29:39
Do what I am doing, take a class at the community college in unix.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  19:22:09
What you are looking for is the Samba program. There web site is www.samba.org

Also you are right it does not matter what file system the server is running all that matters is the protocol. I am an MCSE so I should know. If worst comes to worse tell you dad that the system is unable to run Windows due to a hardware incompatibility with the version of Windows you have.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  19:32:22
try the website for the maker of the distro you use, if they don't have good documentation, find something else?

Maybe, if what you need is some windows-serving action, you could try Windows Server 2003. It's really not that evil, and it's got some pretty cool stuff with it. It's really easy to set up a mac/pc file server and a simple web server.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  20:01:37
win 2k3 on a 200mhz pentium pro? I think not...

THcns;kdnv
"wooglymoo!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  20:43:11
It worked just fine on my pentuim MMX with 128 MB of RAM, how much memory does this machine have?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  21:24:49
I just installed 2kpro on a Pentium 133 with 64 megs of RAM and a 1gig hard drive tonight... it doesn't run any slower than 98 does on it. I know a guy who has 2kpro on a toshiba Pentium 75 laptop. It's REAL slow, but it works.

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  19:14:33
quote:

Also you are right it does not matter what file system the server is running all that matters is the protocol. I am an MCSE so I should know. If worst comes to worse tell you dad that the system is unable to run Windows due to a hardware incompatibility with the version of Windows you have.

that might not be a good idea... he seems to think that the motherboard I got is fried now... soo... if I said it won't run windows, he'd prolly toss the entire rig.

trpedtihgj
"typing blindly is fuuunnnn!!!!"

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  20:01:23
Of all the linux packages, I found RedHat 8 to be the easiest and simplest of them allto setup, and it has SMB servers built right in.

That's just my 2 cents.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  04:09:51
I have samba and appletalk sharing both working on my linux server, as well as many other wonderful protocols. I am assuming you have samba installed, correct?
If so, its a configuration error, which can often be a pain. I will need to look through my config's as well as the documentation I have lying around for clues, but if you can give some more info, it would be great.

also, you usually have to enable accounts to use samba, IIRC the command is 'smbpasswd' and there is some syntax there, but it assigns a new password there (you enter it). This was a source of not-working-ness for me, hope that helps.

IM me on AIM later, and I will see what I can do.

~The Penguin (name follows suit to the OS )

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  22:10:31
What happened to your 7500 dealie?

weren't you getting some hugearse hdds and OSX for it?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  10:42:27
BLOODY FSCK!! it won't install... IT WON'T INSTALL! I got mandrake to install, but, as mentioned before, was severely corrupted. then I went to suse, because I had used it before... I'VE TRIED TO INSTALL IT 6 TIMES!!! I had a single successfull, bootable insall, but, unfortunately, the RPM function was corrupted, so I COULDN'T INSTALL ANYTHING!!!! RRRGH!!!!

HELP!!

ththtnx

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  11:07:44
make sure all your times including system clock are set right, and then make sure your CDs are clean, run a check on the hard drive, and test the RAM, if it crashes alot, it might be the RAM in your system.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  11:23:55
For sure something is not right. At this point I would start leaning toward hardware problems. First thing I would check is the RAM. Run memtest86 on it over night, their address is http://www.memtest86.com/. I worked on a server about a year ago that would do really weird things, run the memory checker and it found the ram was bad. Replaced the stick of ram and it was been running fine ever since.

If it still weirds out run a diaganositc on the Hard Drives. If it is still weirding out install Windows on it to verify that it is not your installation media.

--Eric

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  15:18:55
well... A) I'm installing offan FTP server somewhere in ottawa. b) the RAM tested fine in every other computer I've ever used it in. c) the clock mihgt be the problem... I'll change that and try it again.

THnsd lots.

tE"DFF's.!!
"

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.