68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 IT people at my sister's college....GRRR!
Author Topic  
QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  13:51:37
Yep, the title pretty much says it all.

Their network is based on nothing but NT, and the T3 connection is bottlenecked thru this slow server. Well, anyway, they are BLOCKING all MAC addresses on the network, until they get a verification through the server that they installed the latest windows patch. My sister just cannot get it through their thick fscking sculls that macs do not run windows, and macs are untouched by that stupid blaster worm (or any of those other stupid worms). They keep telling her to install the windoze XP patch...even though she has told them she has a mac at least 5 times now. They say she is absolutely prohibited a network connection until they get this "verification". I told her to throw the mac at them if they say "you need to install the XP patch on it" one more time; that beige DT would prolly take a couple of em out, at least...

I am sick of this bull****. I guess this is what A+ does...

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Edited by - quadrajets on 07 Sep 2003 13:53:00

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  13:56:50
Oh god, they sound liek the dipshit IT admins back at my old school. Just tell them to get ****ed, and to allow her to connect, as it is probably stopping her from being able to study properly. I hate stupid people like that.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

CmdrPlunge
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  14:26:54
has she tried telling the IT morons "Hey, I installed the patch, let me online now." ?

I don't know how it could be verified without looking at the computer. It's worth a shot, I think.

----------------------
Macs liberated: 2
Macs Owned: 3
Cat vs. SEGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  14:48:14
Good idea.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  14:49:42
well, first of all, they need to look at the computer and SEE that it is not running windows. As far as the patch goes, I dunno how they confirm it. Heck, if they don't know what a mac is, what else do they know?

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  15:25:01
How about trying to email the IT manager/supervisor and explain the entire situation and how it is affecting a student's education. Sob stories work very well here. If you've tried the tech at least 5 times, it is time to move up the chain of command.

Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:00:34
I'd say still throw the DT at em…

or drag them over to see what a Mac is… if you cant drag them over, threaten to torture them with AOL CDs if they wont let her on!

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:09:14
they sound like random telemarket-tronic deeleemajiggers, or SNES RPG charicters. repeating the same peice of useless information over and over and over and over...... or they could just be admins who had like a 1-week training course at the local community collage..... hehehe. ask them about border relations between canada and mexico, or preserving canada's national igloo... if they ARE IN FACT that stupid... heeheheh. if they try and block your request to let a mac on the network, using some lame-ass exuse like "the building's power grid can't handle it" or "it will make evrything go down because it doesn't use TCP/IP" or "DUH!!!! WHERE'S THE ANY KEY!!!" then you need to run away screaming, getting a megaphone, and yelling at the highest tech person there about morbid stupidity....

MMMMMM! that's good rant!

THxnz;xlfc
"GOBBLES!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  17:19:51
quote:

I'd say still throw the DT at em…

or drag them over to see what a Mac is… if you cant drag them over, threaten to torture them with AOL CDs if they wont let her on!

Lol yeah. IMHO people like that deserve to spend their life sitting in a sea of burning Ipex PCs and sharp AOL CDs.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  19:32:57
remember, go uphill on the chain of command. Poop rolls downhill, and has the snowball effect, the farther down it goes, the bigger it gets.

see if she can go to the administrator and go sob at them for a while, until they yell at the people below them, and some techs get fired for iggerance.

anyhoo, I am good at getting people in deep crap, and I have fun doing it.

anyhoo...

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  20:15:14
lol... tell them that windows is not the only OS in the world, remember to put in things like "without UNIX, there would be no internet" and that without macintoshes, several publications, websites and movies wouldn't exist.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  22:51:03
heh. sounds like good.

THnsnds":

Z:"DHOOOLDMPLAN!:""

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  01:27:18
I look at this and I see why I hate humans. It seems lots of threads lately show our anger and dissatisfaction over humanity as a whole. These people are trained to be this way, they think with one mind, and that mind is always right. See, there is always a patch or fix for something, it's never as simple as don't do this or just don't use this or maybe just leave it alone, if it's working, it's not working good enough so let's patch it so we mess up everything else so we can create more work to create job stability.

It's the idea that if everything worked, they would have no employment, one reason many IT people hate macs because the generally have less problems and require less staff.

What to do in this situation is simple. Tell your sister to open up Apple System Profiler, and print out the complete information it displays on all pages. Make photocopies of this document in triplicate, place a letterhead/note on the front with the printout of the TCP/IP control panel with the window open stating the MAC address of the machine. Also write the MAC address down in large numbers and letters. Then, give these papers to the IT deptmartment and if they do not give your sister access, she can then take these papers which show her computer specifications to someone above them in order to rectify the situation.

If the situation does not resolve itself, she can take the final copy she made and go to the principle/dean head honcho person and tell him that her ability to work on her school projects and do research has been impaired because the IT department refuses to look at the information she has given that that she is exempt from this recent block due to the fact that her computer does not run Microsoft Windows.

I don't know what to say after that.

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  07:46:50
she still doesn't have an internet connection, even after another week of bitching at the IT bastards. They have to personally come to her room and "install" the patch, since she "apparently can't do it herself".... they could try it for hours...it will never work

3 weeks and counting......

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  07:59:42
Ignorant b@$tards. Ah well, when they try to run the .exe on the Mac for the 100000000000000th time, with a bit of luck they'll get the hint. If they're intelligent enough to know which way to hold the mouse, that is.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  07:59:56
theyre going to install what patch... on her *MACINTOSH* ?

this is the kind of thing that's frustrating even to read about.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  02:54:46
I hope her Mac pukes all over them when they try and install the patch and rams her RAM stick up thier..........and does a few other things a female Mac must do when some zit faced IT kid tries to touch her.

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  12:27:07
I went up to the college today....to fix some other problems on the mac...I am totally disgusted with the network, though. I went down to the computer lab, and they have XP running on pentium III 550's. It took 10 minutes to log in...

I wanted to show my sister some really cool high resolution satellite imagery of Hurricane Isabel, a 3 MB file that took a half hour to download...compared to less than a minute at home on my cable connection. The overall speed was like, 4k/sec..but it kept stalling, or dropping to like 500 bytes/sec. (The connection to the college is a T3, btw)

I guess the network isn't even worth the trouble of connecting to it

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  16:24:49
The network is most likely not monitored correctly and has poor infrastructure. A T3 can go a long way if handled correctly. However, you probably have some people doing thier online games or other stuff that loads the line up. Not to mention you need a true UNIX server to do load balancing which will take the load of the T3.

Ietherthey are on a tight budget or they are little MS babies who run to MS and cry each time and MS gives them a little "Patch" lolipop.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  18:46:17
They sound like a bunch of dipshits to me. They also sound like my old school. Hmm.........

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  20:45:03
She should invite the IT techs in to install the patch on her Mac. And watch while they scratch their heads. Then, as suggested above, she should go to the IT manager, and if necessary to the Provost or the President of the College. And threaten to go to the press, if necessary. If higher-ups realize that they will become a laughing-stock, they will take care of the stupid rule.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  21:23:47
Good idea, and its great to see you back here again, MrLynn!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  18:57:20
Thanks, maclover5!

I've had to curtail some of my forum browsing, though I'm still spending too much time over on the DealMac Forum, by all accounts one of the best virtual water coolers on the 'Net; I keep getting sucked into Apple-future and political discussions. Also, my 68K project (resurrecting my IIfx) has been put on hold until I'm caught up at work--which never seems to happen. I haven't even had the time to make the big switch from my blue G3 to the TIBook I acquired last November!

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  19:38:08
Damn! Ah well, hopefully you'll get a chance to set up the Ti now.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  20:16:04
AGH! battery acid on my ear! stupid leaking NiMH batts... anyhoo... I like talking to reeeeally stupid people like that. it improves my one-liner response time. I've burnt like 5 people in the last week! hehehehehehhee. but seriously.if you know how to set stuff up correctly, windows can work just as well as an out-of box mac (note, I said out-of-box, and not tweaked up one ) but, allmost NO-ONE knows how to do this!!! one of my friends has windows XP runnin pritty good on his PIII750 (it impressed even me! it didn't crash for like 5 hours of heavy use!) but the techs at my school don't even know how to secure it properly (leaving the EXPLORE FUNCTION avalable!... I mean like... COMEON!!!!) sheesh...

THdnds
"lfmwerF"WERF<@WE":MF@
q2 mn nm mjnh nmjh nmjh

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  08:10:36
So, are we still marking and ticking days on the calendar that your sister is offline?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  10:42:32
That reminds me, I was going to try to build a good .NET/2k/XP network and/or a good NT4 network

I know it's possible, but not really wihtout some third party stuff and billions of dollars worth of training

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  15:29:03
quote:
I know it's possible, but not really wihtout some third party stuff and billions of dollars worth of training

Depends on what you want to do.

About the "situation": If the higher-ups don't listen, just threaten to sue the college. It works every time. They don't care about "publicity" or "bitching". What really gets these people is when you threaten to sue. If they still don't listen, then go ahead and sue them.

By the way, where the heck is this school? Kentucky or something?

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 19 Sep 2003 15:30:59Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  16:34:06
Yet another week without an internet connection

The college is not in Kentucky, it's in Defiance, Ohio (pretty much a farmer city)

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  17:39:29
Why am I not surprised? Ohio is on my top-ten list of places I don't want to live.Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  19:50:48
LOL, Ohio is getting there on my list, #1 is Arizona

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  18:24:00
You can add Illinois, or Ill-annoy, as I prefer to call it.Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.