All Forums
 Lounge
 AAAAAAAARGH!!! HUMANS ARE INFERIOUR!!!
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  22:25:34
raugh! the only thing keeping us from killing ourselvs with our own stupidity... IS DUMB LUCK!!! were ugly, fleshy weak sacks of meat obsessed with ourselves and our STUFF. granted, I am also human, but i hope that will change someday.... hooraa for genetic alteration!

Thnxx
"VENT! VENT UNTIL YOU BRAIN DOES NOT EXISTERFY!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  05:32:22
Yes, humans do suck much of the time. Some suck more, some less, but all suck some of the time. Bounded rationality and several hundred million years of legacy features from evolution will do that to a species.

I'm not sure that genetic alteration or technological augmentation will help much. It will probably only amplify the suckiness in some cases. A person that sucks is likely to make sucky decisions and pick a genetic alteration that sucks.

SIGH!!!

Signed,
The Misanthrope (Hey! that's Mister Anthrope to you buddy)Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  13:49:54
I agree with you, G4.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  16:01:53
yes. this is why most people, in my opinion, don't deserve the electrical impulses that make them move somehow and "think"... rrrrggh......... ahh well. there's allways dreams...

THnxcsd
"look! it's like all... like... spinnin..."

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  20:32:31
g4, that nails it right in the head. Comparing us humans to macs is not far off, as far some of our hardware is concerned. We humans, over all our years here, have had evolutionarily developed a really, really bad OS. We are stuck in this notion of opposites. Right/Wrong, black/white, up/down. Where it really breaks down for me is good/evil. Some religions are very stuck on this (don't get me started on religion). The notion that its good vs evil all the time has to be tiring. They are argiung illogically. If they are good, and not evil, evil is still there, there is still bad in the world (under their beliefs).

Now, there are three things one should not talk about in a bar: Religion, Politics, and Money (I think, although I am not sure about the last one). Not that this is a bar, but it is a Lounge. So I am sorry to bring up religion. . .not trying to offend anyone, it is just sometimes I get frustrated like boredomconquersall seeing the masses of humans living blindly. I just think we need to transcend religion (and a few other things), if we are ever to find peace.

Boredom, what promted this frustration?

oh, just to let you in on a lil secret, I rarely watch bradcast tv. I consider it entertaining, but a waste of time. When I do, I watch 2 things, religious programing and home shopping channels. I don't buy or send pledges, just watch with amazement.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 07 Sep 2003 20:35:47Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  20:39:26
I don't agree with any of you!

I think that humans are great, remember, it was humans that built computers, so the computers can be no better than the humans, and even if alot of computers are not very good at all, that doesn't mean that their creators suck with equal magnitude.

I think that humans are great, partially because I *AM* one.

Likewise, I think macs are great because I'm using one, I think that American is pretty good because I live here, I think that Earth "rox my sox" because it is the planet on which I live.

Another part of me, likes my opposoble thumbs, my brain, intelligence and the imperfection that comes with it, but the ever-strong desire to be as close to perfect as possible.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  21:02:29
rrrrgh!you people and your stuff!!!! self centerred bastards... make for the gene splicing!!!

thsnksdfjgn
ÄpoooooooooooooooÄ

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  21:11:25
yes, I probably am self centered, that happens to humans, it happens to everyone. it's called fulfilling ones' needs and other such desires.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  23:07:42
I hope I didn't make it sound like I hate humans, on the contrary, I really try to love as many of us as I can, but sometimes there are humans that are sooooooo messed in their heads, that the world is better off without them. . .

man, I never thought I would say that. . .

and its not to say I am not as messed in the head as they are.

Lets talk about "they." They are the mass. The herd. The human herd. Thats what it is! Some humans LIKE being herded! We are not a herd species. We are extremely individualistic and social. But some humans fall into this herd mentality. We herd ourelves. We police ourselves. The media portrays the fringe of our society. It portrays people on the edge, and why the rest of the mass must not be like them. There is a "no hassle" mentality in America, as long as I do not do anything outside of the "norm" I will live hassle free from the authorities.

Some people in power create the problem AND the solution in their interest, then the media portrays the problem, then the people ask for the solution from the people in power, but they already have the solution, they created it when they created the problem. . .

I am gonna stop now. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  06:00:29
quote:
We humans, over all our years here, have had evolutionarily developed a really, really bad OS.
LOL! We are all running Microsoft Australopithicus -- prone to viruses, can't stay up effectively for more than about 18 hours before needing to shutdown, really buggy math routines (ala the Pentium bug), can't do more one or two things at the same time, brain gets fragmented quickly and lose files, clumsy interfaces, etc......

quote:
Some humans LIKE being herded! We are not a herd species. We are extremely individualistic and social. But some humans fall into this herd mentality. We herd ourelves. We police ourselves.
Exactly! Social instincts are loaded in ROM. That's why yawns are infectious -- you see someone else yawn, you tend to yawn and feel sleepy yourself. It's all a giant networked "sleep" signal.

And nobody could survive without someone else. Everything we buy, eat, use, own was made by someone else, moved by someone else, and/or required someone else's knowledge. Even if you "grow your own food", you still need to get seeds breed by someone else, farming equipment made by someone else and have land protected by someone else (police and army). And all the really cool things like the G5 processor or OS X or 747 jet airliners requires a very large number of people to create and make work.

The problem is these social instincts for cooperation and the formation of groups are morally neutral. Its just as easy for an entire population to follow Hitler as it is to collaborate to create new complex inventions. Some might argue that following Hitler is easier because a charismatic leader or belief system makes life so simple.

quote:
The media portrays the fringe of our society.
This is real problem because it creates so many unreasonable fears and unreasonable expectations. The media focuses on the worst of our criminals and the most successful/richest of our heros. All the coverage of the worst of the worst creates fear and over-reaction. All the coverage of the best of the best creates envy and personal dissatisfaction. It makes people bitter or it cause them to clamour for the biggest SUV or waste their money on lottery tickets.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  09:58:48
wow, right on it G4!

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  12:45:17
This discussion would make for a VERY interesting project for my Scociology class...

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  13:44:14
Chris, look up David Icke (I think that is how it is spelled). He is British and has an amazing video on a lot of what we are talking about here. Now, as a warning he made a lot of other video trying to proove that aliens exist, but this one is about humans, fear, how we police ourselves, media, government, Bildeberg group, etc. I think the video is called "Turning of the Tide." Very interesting video.

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  19:11:07
I AM NOT A PENTIUM!!! anyhoo... yes. I'm glad this din't turn into a flame war... with people like... <name removed>... and .... <name removed> hanging around, it usually does turn into a flame war, because they think they are right no matter what... everyone that was in last night's "superchat" knows what I mean....

what brought this on is we are weak. both in mind and body, and our self-pleasing dellusion that we rule the planet. the simple matter is... WE DON'T! if anything, insects do. I mean, tere are a few people who are very strong-minded, like G4, and danny, and interoricle ( I dun know if he is on these forums, but if you can read this, HONK IF YOU LIKE POTATOES!), who look at something and try and tackle it, even if it does make their brains hurt, or respond to something wihtout insulting the person, and there are others, like CORY who, if they do not understand something they just start spewing flame until everyone runs away, and declairs himself the winner. 89% of the people on earth are like this. they end up in powerfull places, (places in power, being head of the fox network, pres. of the US, prime-minister of canada, etc...) and they hold back all of humanity with their complete lack of acceptance. take for example this whole gay-rights thing. everyones like GAYS BAAAAAAD!!!! when they are just normal people. mind you, two men having sex is kind of grodey to me, but that is nomal to them, and they can't express themselves any other way (without... like... say gene alteration...) ahh well... I guess, I'll have to watch this planet go to complete hell in the next 20 years or less...

frankly... I want out.

Thejhbvwef
"wuglabmalaa1111"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

Edited to protect the innocent.

Edited by - SuperMod on 09 Sep 2003 04:51:24Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  04:30:08
I do agree with you there about how the world is going to hell. Its true.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  05:24:37
quote:
89% of the people on earth are like this. they end up in powerfull places, (places in power, being head of the fox network, pres. of the US, prime-minister of canada, etc...) and they hold back all of humanity with their complete lack of acceptance.
Intolerance really sucks. (Does that make me intolerant of intolerance?[;))]). The whole "us vs. them" vibe is a total curse -- look at the Mideast, Northern Ireland, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, etc......

I'm not sure how the basic human desire to be social and belong to a group gets subverted into fear and hatred for all those people outside that group. Maybe some people have an inate fear of change. Maybe some people have an inate desire for revenge for perceived past wrongs. Maybe some people have such strong feelings of social bonding that they insist everyone join their group (evangelism). I'm not sure which is the root cause or if all of them result in the same ugly cycle of intolerance, hatred, and violence.

quote:
I guess, I'll have to watch this planet go to complete hell in the next 20 years or less...
Maybe, maybe not. The current state of affairs is really not that bad when compared to the sordid sweep of human history. As ugly as the news may be, the economy, standards of living, health, and the threat of violence is far better than average for most people in most countries. Most people in the developed world can live rather nice, full lives. And standards are rising in many developing places, like China and Eastern Europe. Things may not be perfect, but they are not that bad.

quote:
frankly... I want out.
If you like cold places, then try northern Canada/Alaska. If you like hot places, then I suggest Queensland Australia. Both places attract people who are sick and tired of "civilization as we know it."

But you could also work to improve things. You may not solve all the problems everywhere, but you can certainly help solve some of the problems in some places.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  05:59:05
HAR!™ Its not that perfect here in QLD! We have our fair share of dipshits, just like anywhere else! Didn't i tell you i hated my evil boarding school last year?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  08:33:47
Its the mindset theat G4 is talking about. This mindset that everything has an opposite.

quote:
The whole "us vs. them" vibe is a total curse -- look at the Mideast, Northern Ireland, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, etc......

I really like going to Europe and other places outside of America because I can kind of study America from a far. The way we live is in total conflict with the environment. Me and some friends I went to school with (Architecture) got together and bought a little run down adobe house in Marfa, TX (a whole nother story). We are in the process of putting designs together which will make the place self sufficient. From solar technologies (to keep it off the electrical grid), to water cisterns and grey/black water recycling (one can heat/cool a house real nicely with H2O and some pumps!).

If you would like to check on our progress, go to
http://www.e10collective.com(you can actually see a picture of me here in ABOUT-->e10 bios. . .guess who I am????)
One of my friends just made a visit to the house, I will be putting the images of the house up in the next few weeks. . .simply amazing (to me).
Some of the people who worked on the Solar Decathelon are also involved with this project. . .
http://www.eere.energy.gov/solar_decathlon/

This project will definately take a lot of time and money, but we are determined to push solar technologies to where they will be efficient and reliable.

We also have a blog, if anyone is interested, you can read it at
http://www.e10collective.blogspot.com. . .lots of blogs, some good stuff on there, some crap too. ..

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 09 Sep 2003 08:39:12Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  21:54:06
"Name Removed" is Cory huh?

go on and say and think it, I think that some people are nutso in the head for thinking that humans are "inferiour."

I'll start by asking if that's even the correct spelling for brit/canada/aus? In America, it's "inferior"

Then, I'll launch into a rant about how I'm probably more of the IRIX/PowerPC or whatever type, I don't really network but with a rare set of people.

Then again. "yeah"

Here's another thing, IIRC, part of the profits from lottery tickets go back into the roads, the schools and other public works projects and such, think twice next time you go get that PowerBall. Also, the new Espresso tax in the state of Washington, I believe that tax is going into Education. (not that anyone brought that up)

Boredom, you want out of what? because there is several methods of "getting out" but none are really suggested, there are also ways to do things called "fix your problems" like when you make amends with someone, or when you (maybe when youre older) move away... dunno though, "it's your life."

as far as hot and cold go, this part of the world, the southwest USA, Arizona, Nevada, Texas and such, gets REALLY HOT!

I personally love it with all the people, in near and around Seattle Washington.

Again, comparing us to humans, I'm like one of those SGi's or Sun workstations that was with an entire lab of others like it, in a whole building of labs clusters and server rooms, but I was sold off at a surplus sale *(moving) and now live in a land of the aforementioned pentiums with math problems and no artistic-ness (there was macs in my building as well)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  22:32:34
quote:
Here's another thing, IIRC, part of the profits from lottery tickets go back into the roads, the schools and other public works projects and such, think twice next time you go get that PowerBall. Also, the new Espresso tax in the state of Washington, I believe that tax is going into Education. (not that anyone brought that up)

capitalism as a solution?
roads?

money, cars. wierd, the two things America stands for. Reasons we go to war. Reason the military is all up in the middle east. Sorry, just my own opinions.

but I guess I said it

quote:
Now, there are three things one should not talk about in a bar: Religion, Politics, and Money (I think, although I am not sure about the last one). Not that this is a bar, but it is a Lounge.
Go to Top of Page
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  17:03:27
quote:
I really like going to Europe and other places outside of America because I can kind of study America from a far.
I love to travel, too. Its interesting to see what is better or worse in other countries. It makes you both appreciate the U.S more and also think about how to improve things.

But its all very hard because each culture in each country has created its own self-consistent set of rules. Driving of the left is no better than driving on the right. Looking people in the eye to show respect is no better than looking down at their feet to show respect. So much of how people behave in each country is just a freak accident of history. It makes it hard to judge what's better, what's worse and to confidently apply the lessons of others to our own situation.

quote:
The way we live is in total conflict with the environment.
Yes, we do need more sustainable approaches. Better designs for housing, communities, and transportation can reduce the impact of the 6 billion people of the planet. The challenge is to create sustainable technologies that are inexpensive enough to be mass-producible and widely adopted.

At the same time, I think people need to face the fact that the environment will change, species will go extinct, etc. Heroic efforts to save the environment are probably doomed to fail and just squander limited resources. We need a triage approach to the environment - decide what will be OK without intervention, what will survive with an appropriate level of intervention, and what will die regardless of how much effort we throw at it.

quote:
capitalism as a solution?
I'm not sure what's better than capitalism. My wife's family lived under socialism and it really sucked. Her country, the Czech republic, still suffers under the corruption and screwed-up values that 50 years of Soviet oversight brought to the country.

I'm not saying that capitalism is perfect, but it does give people the opportunity to innovate and excel. Admittedly, capitalism also provides an opportunity to fail and live in poverty. I'd just rather have the opportunity to try something than to have some well-meaning central government decide what's best for me. Capitalism would seem to mean misery for some, socialism (at least to my knowledge) would mean misery for most.

The notion of a fair distribution of resources presumes that we each have equal interests and abilities to wield those resources for the good of whoever. That some people/countries choose labor-intensive, land-intensive, energy-intensive, etc. approaches reflects the different capabilities of those people. The U.S. is energy intensive, although that has dropped markedly since the energy crisis of the 70s. I can understadn why the U.S is so energy intensive and I'm not sure that Europe is better off for have high taxes on fuel that have driving that region's penchant for energy efficiency.

quote:
money, cars. wierd, the two things America stands for.
"You are what you buy." seems to the American motto. I'd like to hope that the offspring of SUV-driving, consumer-maniacs will rebel against their self-centered parents. But all the emphasis on "self-esteem" training is more likely to create even more self-centered jerks. I read a recent meta-study that shows that people with high self-esteem are no better off -- apparently, feeling good about yourself does not lead to doing good.

I'm not sure why consumerism is so rampant in this country at this time. Is it the widespread presense of mass media? Did our parents raise us wrong? Is the world just to big and complex for the human psyche to handle so it retreats into a cocoon of baubles, big cars, and gadgets?

Color me confused.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  17:22:17
quote:

quote:
The way we live is in total conflict with the environment.

. . . I think people need to face the fact that the environment will change, species will go extinct, etc. Heroic efforts to save the environment are probably doomed to fail and just squander limited resources. We need a triage approach to the environment - decide what will be OK without intervention, what will survive with an appropriate level of intervention, and what will die regardless of how much effort we throw at it.

There's not a single species on the planet that, given the opportunity, would hesitate to consume itself and its environment out of existence as quickly as possible. That's how evolution works and mankind is no different. All human societies appear to have interfered with their environment to the maximum extent their available technology allowed.

Personally, I think life (especially intelligent life) is like an enzyme. It's nature's way of bringing the universe back to the level of absolute chaos faster than mere probability could achieve on its own.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  17:37:01
Welcome back, old coot!

quote:
There's not a single species on the planet that, given the opportunity, would hesitate to consume itself and its environment out of existence as quickly as possible.
This is what the first green plants did. They polluted the air with very toxic gases and radically changed the environment. Oxygen is nasty stuff, but I'm sure glad plants pump it out. Maybe a billion years from now some intelligent offspring of the cockroach will be praising humans for their ability to screw up the environment in just the right way for cockroaches to thrive.

quote:
Personally, I think life (especially intelligent life) is like an enzyme. It's nature's way of bringing the universe back to the level of absolute chaos faster than mere probability could achieve on its own.
Exactly! Some of the people who study complexity see the existence of order as a perverse proof that entropy increases. Sometimes an ordered, intelligent system is the best way to maximize the conversion of free energy into disorder and chaos. Although life and intelligence sure seems too orderly to have evolved in a chaotic world, it sure is good at creating more chaos than was there to begin with.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  18:42:47
I'm glad you guys know what you're talking about.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  18:44:48
well said

maclovr, whats the social/political/environmental/etc situation like in Australia?

Edited by - wisof on 11 Sep 2003 18:46:39Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  19:31:12
quote:
I'm glad you guys know what you're talking about.
What makes you think that?

The secret to looking smart is to either agree enthusiatically or disagree vehemently with the prior post and then spout more BS that seems tangentially related. The occasional polysyllablic word helps too.

If the world is going to hell, then we might as well have some fun discussing it.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  06:35:29
A quote from T3: "In the end, humans inevitably lose. The resistance is crushed and machines rule."

So, kicked out by our own creation. But if you thin about it, the first vision of the Terminator movies was that SkyNet became aware and humans freaked out that a machine could think for itself so they try and unplugg it. WTF? Why do you try and unplugg a system that has direct control of your military? That's like shooting your fellow officer. (Any AI's reading this, please mark me for amnesty in the upcoming war, I am anti-human )

I mean, humans started it. They started the whole thing because of thier arrogance, and want of power. Look at any hollywood movie and there are tonnes of quotes and outlooks that you can see humanity from. Most of humanity is scum these days because they don't give a sh**. They really don't. You've heard my rants about Leaches. Well, humans in real life are the worst. They live and believe they have a right to get everything and that society owes them and yet they believe they have no responsibility to give anything back. Many people couldn't care if the world ended as long as they can have that woman in bed before it's all over and the deed done, or that final food or that money or anything. Me first, humanity's big weakness.

Quotes that show standpoints and give food for thought based on the storylines:

Matrix :: Agent Smith: Do you know what you call an organsim that multiples with no end? A Virus. HUmans are quite simply a disease, a cancer of this planet, and we are the cure."

Instinct :: "Power is a dangerous Pschycotic"

X Files :: Mulder: "Making a wish with you makes a person learn a degree in writing and law. But I think I've got it this time" Wish Granter: "You want me to change the heart condition of 5 billion people pvernight?"

Queen Of The Damned :: Akasha: "They believed in nothing, now they are nothing"

Maurius: "This isn't the time to settle old scores." Lestat: "Vampires don't settle old scores, we harbour them."

(For those who whach vampire flicks, it's interesting to note that two movies as of late give varying stories as to the original vampires. Akasha aka Eve from the garden of Eden, who being the likeness of an Amazon Queen who chooses those to be her kings, and Judas Iscariot, once apostle of Jesus Christ, who betrayed his master for 30 pieces of silver, thus the reason vampires hate silver because of his regret and remorse over betraying his master, thus they became the price of blood, being 30 pieces to buy a burial plot thereafter. Also the reason vampires stay at night because it was at night by torch fire that he betrayed his master, in the darkness his first act of evil. So how do they mix? Who knows. We may never.)

Jurassic Park :: "I can't believe it, I brought you all here to protect me and the only person on my side is the blood sucking lawyer!" "Lawyer: "Why, thank-you." (After several arguments over the morality and issues regarding cloning of ancient species)

Short Circuit :: Stephany: "Because you're not listening!" Crosby: "Lady I have been listening." Stephany: "No, not with that, with you ears. Watch. Number 5, it's ok come on out." (Humans don't listen, if something is wrong, they assume the worst.)

There are alot more but it's 6:22 Am and I can't think of anymore. But it all clearly shows that humanity doesn't give a damn.

Here's another example: Many peope thought that we entered our "digital era" when we had the big dot.con era, well it busted and now the net is a twisted sorry story that doesn't do much except provide an avvenue of attack, clogged network pipes and other junk. The real digital age hasn't started yet. It won't come about untill the recent cold war which ended and has begun a full scale assult, has finally ended with almost no survivors...then it will slwly started. It's how it is, this whole internet is just the means with which our society will be forced to change. It's not the change, it's the catalyst.

So were do we stand? Think for a moment about all the cars and trucks and factories out there pumping shit into our lakes and water, and sending up bombs of poisin gas to punch holes in the ozone so the sun can shrinkwrap us like a martian zap gun.....do you really believe humanity has the power to stop all this? Think about it...can humans clean up all the oil, clean the atmosphere up, convert all the cars, rebuild the ozone, remove the bombs from war, clean the oceans and stop the use of deadly chemicals that we so called "require for our daily lives" within the next 20 years and come up with alternatives while maintaining a balanced economy andmaintaining the greed that humanity has both come to expect and demand?

Not a chance in hell. We are cooked geese. Might as well get your fallout shelter ready and watch the movie "The Time Machine" for a taste of what we could be looking at....because the future is here, but it ain't friendly or pretty.

It's time to face reality folks. Pass it on, cause maybe just maybe if enough people get the idea that in the next 20 or so years you'd have better chances of the human race surviving if you put a gun to your head.

There was this small book written in school I had to read about a man who was developing some sort of weapon...someone came to try and convince him to not build it. Of course, he failed in some respects, but he found out the man has a son who is mentally challenged to the degree he cannot learn or dapat or be responsible with anything. Before he leaves, he goes alone into the son's room and then comes out saying: "I hope you don't mind, I said goodbye to your son and gave him a little gift." The father went ina nd satrted to say: "Son, how about we read...." And his son was holding in his hand a loaded gun. "Son, may I please have that?" The son hands him the gun and to his horror he realizes it was loaded and cocked. He thinks to himself, "Only a fool would give a boy a loaded gun." At that moment it hit him and the story ends.

Lots of food for thought. Sure, maybe not all of it is right, but you can't help see but we are dying and we really don't care much. Not enough that we really are going to do anything. Would it kill you if you didn't have a computer ad you actually went outside and chopped down your own tress to make your own house? Would it kill you to forgo the everday thimngs we have? Nope. It won't.

Think About It.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  10:22:17
This'd be a great discussion for my Science Fiction class, what with the arrival of discussion about AI.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  10:47:14
THEY'RE COMING!!!!!!!!!!

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  11:04:53
we've already gone past that unit, but I'll show that topic to the teacher for that class.

The movie we watched was AI: ARtificial Intelligence, great movie.

I also like the movies "Short Circuit" and the sequal to it. love-em

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  11:23:56
Johnny 5! The best parts is when he dances.. . .and the beginning of the first one, when the rest of the robots are shown!
I like the hangliding mod he had on the second oneGo to Top of Page
llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  13:44:15
currently western civilization is headed down the shitter... i think that since probably the 1920's or so we've been setting our selves up to tear ourselves apart (note that i am mostly referring to the US, since that is where i live).

tying this into the thread about 9/11, i think that the US missed its chance to redeem itself. 9/11 should have been a wakeup call to all of us to stop the bullshit that we humans force on other humans, and for the US specifically to realize that, although the reasons these Islamic fundamentalists hate us aren't exactly the best ones, we have enemies. We also should have noticed that there are other countries in the world who aren't willing to bow down and kiss our ass for protection.

Bush missed his chance to be a great President when he tied 9/11 to Iraq. Afghanistan was justified, imho, because the Taliban was allowing the al Qaida network to train there, and they were the group responsible for the reprehensible acts of 9/11. the thing is, now, in most average (also known as retarded) Americans minds, 9/11 = Iraq. This will forever distort the historical view of September 11 because its tied to this war that is a quagmire with no determinate end.

sorry about that, i just felt like this related to both this thread and the 9/11 thread and decided to say it here.

Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  22:40:56
ahem. the acceleration in the collapse in western civilization happened about WW1, when everyone stopped caring about local issues. most of which were quite important. now, once the war was done with, all these problems had festerred soooo much that there really was nothing you could do about it and everything just got worse and worse; WW2 didn't help much; untill now, when you see what reamins of our society. corruption, FUD, greed, FUD, ignorance... ooh and did I mention FUD? hehe. By the way cory. this is what is keeping me alive, the hope that I might live to see the day when genetic engeneering advances far enough for high level gene alterations, resulting superiour physical atributes. it's ether that or a paralizing fear of death, and that just makes me more depressed. would you like that cory? hmm? me taking morphene so I don't give a crap about anything? or would you like for me to keep on dreaming, and alive and healthy? hmm? HMMM?!?

THs,kmdnf
"typewritrers are fun;"!""Erw

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.