PowerBook
 Blackbird liberated from wires?
Author Topic  
mobilepet
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  08:13:02
Greetings, everyone. I have recently caught Powerbook 520 fever. I have 2 520c and a 520. My comrade and I are now attempting to fit these fine machines with 802.11 wireless.

We've both been reading what there is on net for this task, and are using the ORiNOCO bronze cards. (AKA Dell, Proxim, Lucent, Wavelan, etc.)

Need Help! I have tried using OS 7.5 up to 8.6 with some trickery to get it going, and he has used every different version of firmware that the ORiNOCO card can contain.

When trying to configure appletalk or TCP/IP to use the card, which shows up as "Ethernet Slot 0" we both get the error: "Incompatible Feature (prevents enable)."

So any directions you could point us in would really help. I WILL liberate my blackbirds from wires...

Thanks,
mobilepet { IIGS Q650 PB520 PB520c Q950 ....)

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  08:43:55
You might try using Resedit to remove a DRVR resource called ENET0 from the System file. I had conflicts with this resource when I tried to get a Buffalo Airstation Wifi card working on a PB 190cs. Removing DRVR.ENET0 cleared up the conflict between the wifi card drivers and let me go wireless on my old powerbook. Just remember to hack carefully (save a copy of the old, unhacked System)because Resedit can borkulate things in a jiffy.

Wishing you a future without wires,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

mobilepet
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  07:06:22
Thank you for the help. I have tried the ENET0 fix, but no effect. I haven't given up yet...

Bart, It's ME.
petlabGo to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  10:37:00
It might be the Bronze cards themselves. In the Newton lists and such others I've found for my PB1400 they say the Bronze WAVLAN cards are not exactly 802.11b spec. try a Silver card or Gold, my Silver gets me wireless on a Newton 2100 and a PB1400.

Go to Top of Page

kevinrist
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  08:47:04
Hi, sorry to be slow to respond to this thread, maybe you've got it running by now. I'm entering this from my PB 540c wirelessly, my PB has 36 MB RAM ram doubled, running System 7.5.5, and using the latest iCab (68K tabbed browsing!) With images off, it's not too shabby.

I think you might need the rev. C card cage, not sure, that's what I have; also, using Apple's PC Card Cage extensions. I'm using a WaveLan Silver card, and the Orinoco driver, version 6.00.4. I also have driver version 7.1, but I know it didn't work. In the AppleTalk and TCP/IP control panels, the wireless card is called "Alternate Ethernet."

When I sat down to do this, I couldn't connect wirelessly-but I knew I could in the past! Turns out I had installed Global Village fax modem software in the meantime, and so I inactivated that, and all was back to wireless goodness!

Hope this works for you; I could probably help you find the old version of the wireless driver, if you have trouble; that companay has changed hands so many times over the years.

-Kevin

Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  23:23:25
can't wait to try this.

thx for the info.

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:44:20
So did you get the Bronze cards to work?

Go to Top of Page

pilgrimer
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  23:32:22
The Bronze does not work, the silver........Does not work... Mick I tried your Silver!

I got a copy og ver 6.0.n of the WaveLAN IEE install and installed it (after mucho hacks like that DRVR.ENET0 -it would not even install till I resedited htat one away...) So it Installed.
Oh for those who came in late, I am mobilepet's minion and fellow lurker in the world of Blacbird off the wire...
My system is a PB 540 with a Rev A yes..A PCMCIA cage 36mb memory and a wimpy 160mb hard drive on MacOS 7.6.1
I have now tried: A Bronze a Silver, a DLink DWL650 an Ambicom (generic no-name thing, a Linksys and Allah's left bootie. NOTHIGN SEEMS TO WORK. and it should. I can get a 3COM wired PCMCIA 10bT card to work so this beast should.
btw. a Bronze card WILL work in aNewton (2000) using the: http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm driver.

-Bart
Keeper of the Network from Heck

Go to Top of Page

pilgrimer
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  23:32:34
The Bronze does not work, the silver........Does not work... Mick I tried your Silver!

I got a copy og ver 6.0.n of the WaveLAN IEE install and installed it (after mucho hacks like that DRVR.ENET0 -it would not even install till I resedited htat one away...) So it Installed.
Oh for those who came in late, I am mobilepet's minion and fellow lurker in the world of Blacbird off the wire...
My system is a PB 540 with a Rev A yes..A PCMCIA cage 36mb memory and a wimpy 160mb hard drive on MacOS 7.6.1
I have now tried: A Bronze a Silver, a DLink DWL650 an Ambicom (generic no-name thing, a Linksys and Allah's left bootie. NOTHIGN SEEMS TO WORK. and it should. I can get a 3COM wired PCMCIA 10bT card to work so this beast should.
btw. a Bronze card WILL work in aNewton (2000) using the: http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm driver.

-Bart
Keeper of the Network from Heck

Go to Top of Page

mobilepet
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  01:19:27
quote:

I have been away too long, sorry!

I have got the Silver card to work!

I admit, though that it was on a >ppc< upgraded blackbird. There was no trouble, it just worked. NOTE: I set appletalk and TCP/IP to use the "ethernet slot 0" on an unmodified system!

Note also that the machine has 8.1 and I am using WIW to tell it it's a 5300. I have the card cage rev. C. When I get the 68K to work I will write a good page on this - I have researched it so much that I think I can offer others some help...

quote:

I got a copy of ver 6.0.n of the WaveLAN IEE install and installed it (after mucho hacks like that DRVR.ENET0 -it would not even install till I resedited htat one away...) So it Installed.

Bart (Pilgrimer), I am still werking on getting my 68K book finished. I will get the card back from you this week? Let me have your early cage and the disk!

Bart, It's ME.
petlabGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.