All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Acorna The Unicorn Girl
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  22:46:57
Well, this is all about my PowerMac 8600. First, let me give you a small history about the 8600 from my point of view. The 8600 came out about the same time as I had traded in my AMD 300MHz PC for 300 dollars and purchased a Centris 660AV with 32MB RAM and a 500MB Hard Disk/CD-ROM.

The 8600 was a beauty to be seen. I really wanted one.

So, now that I have one, I want to make it into a special one. I recently got an upgrade for it, a new ATI Odeon Rage 128 Video Card and USB Card.

Now, with all these things, I need a case that is going to be supreme.

I will be looking up the prices of Oak, and when the final case design is done, it will be a Cherry Oak Power Macintosh 8600/AV. I will find someone who can burn in the words "Power Macintosh 8600 AV - Cherry Oak Edition" on the front of the case, perhaps on a small plaque.

I'm going to be going for a contemporary look, I don't want it to be "techy" but natural and smoothe.

The design will include an old radio, hooked up t a switch system allowing users to switch between multiple audio inputs.

One feature that will be done on the front panel is a switch for which AV port to use. It will have a signal selector so you can hook up more than one source, and buttons on the front of the case will select various sources.

This will take several months to build, test and work, but this month I already have cables lined up, and my friend and I will be going over the basic design of the case.

Oh yeah, and the DOS card will be arriving soon, so that will be a very functional mac!

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  23:07:26
Sounds great! But I think "Cherry Oak" is a little confusing. Cherry is a different wood than oak. Oak can have a cherry finish (via a stain), and there is a variety of oak called red oak, but there's no such thing as cherry oak.

Anyway, good luck on this ambitious project. We'll all await the photos here when it's done!

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  23:47:15
It is Oak with a Cherry Finish on it.

It is usually refered to as "Cherry Oak Bookcase" in the case of a bookcase when you mention it. Even though it's not the type of wood, but it's the stain that does it.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  06:16:29
by "odeon" do you mean radeon? and by rage you really mean "rage" ?

because Rage and Radeon (and Mach for that matter) were NEVER lines of video cards that crossed paths.

Mach64, or maybe the Math128 was where the mach line ended, the Rage was where that began, it ended in the Rage128
and the Radeon line picked up where Rage left off.

so a radion rage 128 wouldn't exist. It's either a Radeon [somethingorother] or a Rage 128.

all 8600s are AV, denoting it would be pointless, I'd put the processor speed, or other features that aren't usually there in that space, for example, 8600/250, or 8600/rage128

most macs are made to look contemporary, the 6500 for example was designed to look like furniture that you'd find in your home, and the way the feet lifted the compy off the floor was not only to provide ventilation, but to get some airflow, and make it look more furniture-ey.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  07:03:23
Sounds great! Btw, Cory, i think he meant a Rage Orion 128, which was the version of the Rage 128 that ATI sold to consumers.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  12:00:11
sounds very nice

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.