All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Routing Appletalk Over TCP/IP
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  22:02:03
First off, this request is not about Appleshare over TCP/IP, it's Appletalk over TCP/IP. Just so we can make sure we are on the same page.

There is a protocal developed by Apple and others which can route Appletalk over TCP/IP (and in some cases even routers have this function, to link several machines as one network).

The reason I am looking for this is because I am going to be setting up my Classic II to run FirstClass Server, and FirstClass 2.7 does not have TCP/IP support, it relies on a user iether dialing in or using the network to connect. So, I need to let users route thier Mac to my Mac via TCP/IP and for them to see all Appletalk traffic as if they were physically in the same room/network.

I know it's out there, but the hard part is finding it. Anyone know of anything?

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  22:39:10
do u have a cisco router? if not, i can't be of any assistance.. even then, i've never actually used appletalk on a cisco router

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  11:09:10
Couldn't you just do some kind of "tunnel" thingy...?

If FirstClass doesnt have tcpip support, there is probably something that does, and you can probably get it inexpensively.

that having been said, on OSX you can enable TCP/IP, and AppleTalk, (0ver ethernet), so look for OSX based programs, maybe even an OS9 program so's you can use a "bridge" mac...

Maybe a mac with serial ports (to the classicII) and an ethernet port (to TCP/IP)

are you using FirstClass locally, or over the internet? because there has to be a way for this stuff to come out on the clients' end as well... which could cause problems?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  23:13:06
isn't it just a case of making sure that the router has the Appletalk ports open? I mean, the router is routing TCP/IP already so it shouldn't really care what is being transmitted via TCP/IP so long as the appropriate ports are open.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  05:35:01
AppleShare is over tcp/ip, as well as AppleTalk.

AppleTalk is a completely diffeent protocol, but I would still be ENTIRELY surprised if your router and/or hub or whatever was unable to transmit AppleTalk packets. it's just packets sent over the network, and most ethernet works in the same way, especially since AppleTalk isn't a token-based system.

I'm still wondering exactly what FirstClass server, is, so far as I can gather, it's a server program (duh) but what does it do? well it could be a chat/irc type thing, (but that woudln't have a client limit would it?) it looks as though it's probably a file server ("the first of it's kind with resumable downloads" led me to that one.)

I'm certain that there is some VERY Open Source solutions that will work with this thing called the "internet" beccause I'm not sure if AppleTalk on TCP/IP will work.
and if it does, it'll be complex, unreliable and the download on the client's end will be bigger than the client for your first class dealie.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  21:21:44
The newer versions of FirstClass support TCP/IP and I have found out this one does too, but it requires an extra license which I don't have.

FirstClass is a message/collaberation/web system that has complete mesage system, conferences and message systems all in one easy to use program and it can be run all from a broswer if need be.

www.softarc.com

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  19:20:47
You might be able to "test" the TCP IP functionality for practicality before you try and buy the license by digging up a copy of surfer serials. emphasis on "test" not steal

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  05:29:30
MacIP... I was going through my Cisco glossary and I flipped over it. It seems to be what you're looking for. Combining AppleTalk and TCP/IP. I can't tell you any more right now, but maybe later.

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  03:30:25
No, MacIP is TCP/IP encapsulated inside Appletalk.

I have been doing some more research and it seems the protocall only exists for local hardware, not for networks spanning the internet. Although the protocall aloows it to be routed over TCP/IP, this is generally only for internal networks and not for the net.

What would be needed is a special application or extension/control panel which would load after Mac OS loads and begin a TCP/IP handshake with an Appletalk network and establish the remote machine as a participant in the network, where on both ends, the TCP/IP would be converted into Appletalk protocall, acting as if the machines were on the same Appletalk nodes/networks.

Because this mainly involves older Macs, I'm sure there won't be any support for it, but I do have one person I can ask, they might be able to furnish some information.

One a side note, I sent an upgrade request to FirstClass, so if they approve it, I can start usng FC 7.1. I just need to get the large number of licenses.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:15:06
MacIP sounds cool, is that how one gets his lab of LCs connected by a LocalTalk network onto the internet?

how much is this newer liscence?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:40:06
Yes Cory, that's Mac IP. To get a whole lab connected, the easiest way is using PhoneNET and hooking them all up. You run IPNetRouter on the server and it will supply IP addresses. However, the speed would be about the same as dial-up. I think Appletalk is limited to 22Kb/s. And that speed would be shared across each machine, up to 254. (iThink)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  10:55:52
I need to get my hoardes of 68ks up and running then!

that sounds like a really cool thing to try (and IIRC, it was 240something kbps...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.