General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Advertising in the MLAgazine.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  21:34:57
You may have heard about it, Have you written an article for it? Have I plugged it lately?

It's the MLAgazine, and there is some controversy related to it lately.

I've been considering (somewhat in private) using eBay as a way to sell advertising in the MLAgazine. This has brought several different responses though. I'll outline these responses here.

1) Several people, think that this is a great idea, they believe that it'll bring some much needed funding to projects like (getting broadband) and the Intrikit Weaver.

2) Some People believe that using eBay as a method of selling advertising space is a very bad idea, because of all the weirdos trolling eBay, who might decide to use the MLAgazine as a way to advertise their latest p0rn website.

3) Some people have totally thrashed the idea of MLAgazine having advertising at all, this is aparently because readership couldn't ever possibly be high enough to convince someone to advertise in it.

4) Other people who thrash the idea of advertisng in MLAzine, believe that a magazine that I'm producing on my own shouldn't have ads, but should be better dedicated to good content

5) Even different people, could believe that I am using this as a way to benefit myself personally.

I am especially interested in people's reaction to #5, because it might seem that I am doing this for personal benefit.
To anyone who might think that, I'll note that you probably haven't wrote an article for MLAgazine, but you'll probably want to download and read a copy of MLAgazine when it does come out. If you've *ACTUALLY* written an article for the MLAgazine, and have submitted it to me, I will be more receptive of your feelings, because they are valid, those who have submitted to me, basically know that my intentions are good.

The money, if I can sell ad space, will probably go to something like getting broadband internet around here (for the IW project, so I can host downloads for MLAgazine myself) and, of course, I've probably offered hosting to mostly everyone when and if I can get the IW up and running.

I would like to remind you all, that this is NOT a finalized decision, I am still floating this idea in my head, and am floating the entire idea of advertising at all in my head...

I have made a few spaces where advertising will be able to go, obviously inside covers, the rear cover and a few other spaces that I can't fill, but I still haven't even created a "media kit" for distribution to possible advertisers.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  22:38:11
Pehaps Cory the best thing to do, is work hard at doing the first vesion yourself without ads to show people what you can do, and see how the reaction is.

It's always hard to drum up money for online projects, and certianly, no online project is exempt from this.

Just make a first issue and place fake ads or Apple ads for older products years ago then release it, let us see it, then maybe we see.

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  23:19:31
Sounds good BoJ.

I second that motion.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  10:59:51
Where does one go about finding these old apple ads? are they high enough quality for me to print in the MLAgazine? will I have to make them?

Anything you guys could do, if you think this' the best thing to do, would be very helpful...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  11:44:28
Google can find some Mac sites that archive some scans of the original ads.

Or, you can make your own by putting some text in with a picture of an old mac that's in your magazine.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  11:05:41
If you could find me something, that would be great, but I'm wary of copyright laws, and broadband awaits if I can raise the money, so there is some things to be considered when thinking about this.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  08:00:26
Cory, any way you can post assignments or things you need for the MLAgazine as you go along? I am fairly new at this whole thing (as I begin to solder an oscillator onto a centris 610 motherboard), but I do have design experience. . .if you need any sort of layout/graphics. . .etc help, post it. It might work best if you have specific tasks you need accomplished, and if someone has the time, they could get on it. . .dunno if that would work. . .I guess that is putting a lot of trust in other MLAers. Are you the only one working on this project, or are there others? I am interested in helping. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  18:59:54
that's almost exactly what I've done, at least to a certain extent, I'll aska certain MLAer to write an article, they'll say OK and so far, only few have been able to deliver.

Sadly, not all MLAers are like us, students with much free time in which to publish a magazine.

Anything you can write, pictures you can take, of anything, will help, what macs do you have?

the first issue is Quadras, and I need quadra stuff, 840av has been done, but I hear that you have a 950 and a 610.

I dont' have anyone doing anything on a 610 as far as I know, but even so you'rs is overclocking, which makes it applicable to any quadra, and more interesting than just a stock 610, and your 950 is ubered also,

I like screenshots, profiles of yourself, and just about anything.

If you want to write an article, and lay out the pages yourself, you can do so in QuarkXPress on your Quadra!!!

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  19:33:08
I've got my 610 + 650 article about half finished now. It'll take me awhile though because school just started and I'm taking a college course to boot. BTW... could someone else do pics of a C610 + C650? I don't have a digital camera. (yet) BTW... I'll pay for an advert for my company if I can get a client. Darn Catch-22s.

Nick

-------------------------
Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····
·A2:2
·68k: 7
·Contraband(PPC):1
·They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named(x86): 7
·Other Systems:2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  19:43:42
wow, COOL!

I didn't even know you were doing an article LOL, Cool though!
Maybe this'll come together faster than we thought.
ML5's doing a Q700+A/UX article, so maybe he can take piccies of his setup, but if anyone else has a Q700 and take posed pictures of it with a monitor and keyboard/mouse, preferrably in an open space, and "dressed up"

BTW, any photos at all will look better this way, other than the MLAers' lifestyle/home ones... which can be just as messy as it usually is, but pictures of computers and specific things... we should be able to tell what we're looking at

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  20:48:26
geekwurks. . .I can take shots of c610 stuff, whattaya need?
cory. . .will be trying the overclock of the c610 with a can oscillator in the next week or so. It could work, or it could bork, either way, I purchased a replacement motherboard for the c610 in case of borking. . .maybe something on a mobo install if I fail or something. . .we'll see. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2003 :  21:33:03
cool, "Rebuild your Quadra 610"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  06:41:02
Cory, about the whole Q700 + A/UX thing, i currently have 7.0.1 running on the Quaddie, but its not working very well. With a bit of luck, i may have it going by tomorrow though. Wish me luck!!!!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  15:28:11
I'm trying to put AUX on the 950 but running into a brick wall. I'll post about it and maybe you guys can help then I can post the "Idiots Guide To Installing AUX On A Quadra 950".

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  19:36:32
hehehe... coolness, because anything quadra goes in this first issue of MLAgazine.

I have it "so far" right here.

http://68k.dyndns.org/mla/mlagazine2.1.pdf

is the URL.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  13:54:08
quote:

geekwurks. . .I can take shots of c610 stuff, whattaya need?

I could use a shot of it hooked up and running, as well as a hi-res piccie of it open with & w/out CD-ROM from the top down for a cooling diagram. (To illustrate some ways to improve cooling)

Nick

Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  14:11:36
quote:

I'm trying to put AUX on the 950 but running into a brick wall. I'll post about it and maybe you guys can help then I can post the "Idiots Guide To Installing AUX On A Quadra 950".

That would be a good idea, BoJ. I'm running into a few brick walls too, on my Q700.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  14:52:09
quote:
I could use a shot of it hooked up and running, as well as a hi-res piccie of it open with & w/out CD-ROM from the top down for a cooling diagram. (To illustrate some ways to improve cooling)

mines already open. . .AND the cd is out! Gimme till the weekend and I will get those up.

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HD

Edited by - wisof on 08 Sep 2003 14:52:35Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:04:02
Anything you can get, I'll be very happy

I have this weekend free and open onmy "calandar" it'll be my " metime" for some MLAgazine work, and of course, the venerable IW project.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  00:16:21
I'm against any type of ads so.... yeah.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  06:31:53
Type #3/4/5

I'm against advertising in MacAddict, but I'm not the editor so I can't control it...

that's what my escuse is going to be. I'll put together a "media kit" dealie, and maybe post an eBay auction somewhere over the weekend?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  06:49:50
Somehow I don't think it's going to attract many people due to it's low exposure. If someone does buy and you put thier ad in and they see that only so many people get the first edition, they might be rightly upset that they paid so much for only this much exposure.

If you had a large big site that had a good audience like say, lowendmac.com where literally thousands visit each day, perhaps it might be plausable.

Don't get me wrong, I think the MLAgazine is a good idea cory, but I truly do believe that the first issue is going to be iether ad free or done all by yourself with the exception of articles written by others. If I had more time to actually write up some articles I would, but at the moment, I am behind on work projects.

So, all in all cory, if people don't start coming through with articles, it might be time to go online to google, look up the keywords for the items you want in the articles, read up what other people have written and comment and do a journal about that, citing good points, bad points, tips tricks in an editorial way. I have had to start some things this way cory, I sure wanted help but I realized really quick nobody was going to take me seriously untill I decided to snap to it bend my back and get the work done and prove to people I was serious by showing them something.

Sadly people often don't believe or want to unless you shove it in thier face. So, you might have to compile the whole "in your face promo" yourself to sorta give people that little shock to get thier heart going again.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  10:50:33
My plan wasn't really to try to sell advertising to bigwigs, or to sell it for that much at all, just a bit of money to get the project(s) going a bit faster, like by getting broadband and/or OSX server for the IW, and buying QuarkXPress for laying out.

the eBay auction will tell basically the coverage of the MLAgazine. Smaller dealers, and people like ShreveSystems, other forums and schtuff might like advertising in MLAgazine.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2003 :  20:33:53
Like I said, I'll buy a few sq. inches of ad space if I can scrape together enough money.

Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  09:55:33
well as MLAgazine does have limited coverage and such, I expect to charge no more than probably... $50 for like... the entire back or either inside covers...

I have some nice spots in some various locations, $5-10 sound good?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  18:22:32
uhh... does the whole MLAgazine HAVE to be in Helvetica? a nice serif font would be fantastic, instead of Helvetica... basically I'm saying that if I had Quark XPress 6 i would be jumping at the chance to do the design work for MLAgazine.

It looks very... amateurish, and thats not a slam of you and all the effort you've put into it, i just think it needs loads of design work.

btw, nice performa 578 story i love my 578 too

Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  19:45:32
Cory... you might want to use print resolution (300 dpi) photos. The pixelation is rather obvious. Also... How much do you want for page 16 or 1/2 of page 15?

Nick

Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  21:50:39
where does the pixelation occur?

I know that it should happen on the very front cover, which would be the picture of the (it's an 8100 actually) and the "japanese man" thing under Tidbits.

If anyone can provide me with an "artistic rendering" of the 840av, similar to the way Dana's 605 (top of the cover) is... I'd be absolutely happy, and would put it in straightaway.

GeekWurkz - $30 for halfpage, $45 for full?

I have changed around a few articles (in the past), and tried to break the monotony with some pictures, and some other fonts (like the funny looking "Performa and LC" under ML5's story, and the hand-drawn 578... but I am only 15, and if any one part of the MLAgazine's gotten most of my attention, it's the "how would you design the next mac" article... and that isn't the prettiest thing in the 'zine...

Helvetica, IIRC, is the font that I used for the big "MLAgazine" on the cover?... It's also the default font, and it's strangely attractive... I'll see about changing some of the other stuff, and gaining some consistency.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  18:57:19
If you want, I can do graphics... I'm getting a membership to a very nice royalty-free stock photo gallery for my graphics design course @ LVC and can use it as much as I want for a month. I can also photoshop any pics you already have. Actually, how about graphics design + 1 article in exchange for a 1/2 page ad?

Nick

Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  21:20:24
Cool, the aforementioned Quadra 840av on the cover, "artistic rendering" and such would be great to have...

and if you can supply a quadra-related article that's not already being done... then that'd be great!....

also, I have Christophillis down for a "Fake-AppleAd" somewhere in the 'zine, probably front cover.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  12:47:42
Fake Apple Ad? When did I sign up for this... I thought it was the "Our Hero" pose of a 840av or 950. But whatever Cory I can do both if you need em.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2003 :  19:40:18
LOL, well that was the FakeAppleAd I was talking about, the "Our Hero" pose...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.