All Forums
 68k Software
 Cyberdog?
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  08:20:28
Can anyone say if Cyberdog - Apple's now-abandoned Internet suite - is worth getting into? Is it better on 68k machines than the other available choices? I'm very interested.

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  11:26:46
The Cyberdog software should work just fine. You have to connect to a news server. At least that's all I used it for about 2 or 3 years ago on my LC 580. That's about all I can say about it.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  19:17:47
I don't know exactly what else Cyberdog does, but it absolutely sucks at web browsing. It botches pages like no other.

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Hemant Kamat
Starting Member

India
22 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2003 :  23:44:30
It just happens to be the FASTEST browser on a 68k, although it does not support the newer features like cascading style sheets, etc. (in fact, it's HTML 3.0 compliant; HTML 4.0 features not supported). If you're planning to do simple stuff like FTP & email and browsing on sites low on system requirements, there's no reason to go for it!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  21:53:27
It works with phpBB2!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  02:43:24
I think it's time that Apple should release something like CyberDog into GPL, it's a base model that could be expanded and developed further.

I see no merit in it being locked away in a closet. It's an example of things technology companies do, because they focus on the next big thing and the forget that some things they carry, like legacy items, do have value, and could be integrated into a new system.

It's like wasting paper and food. It's something you usually don't do.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  18:54:49
quote:

I think it's time that Apple should release something like CyberDog into GPL, it's a base model that could be expanded and developed further.

There is a lot of great stuff which Apple should open the source to, but it I wouldn't bother with CyberDog. CyberDog requires OpenDoc, and OpenDoc is dead. If anybody was to continue developing it, they would be forever locked into System 7.x to Mac OS 9.x computers.

What is really needed is a 68k browser which can gracefully reject HTML which is too complex to render on older processors.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  10:41:27
Apple has an open source browser, it's called safari

on a more serious note though, I would have to say that it would be ubercool if apple could release moer of it's stuff to open source (can any one say open source 7.5?)

I would most like to see HyperCard, system 7.x, and a web browser opensourced...

IMHO, it's not that the older computers can't render newer pages, it's that noone's tried to make them...

I bet that a higher end Quadra could easily render just about anything, but it's the flash, shockwave and the other silly thigns that make them choke.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  13:25:38
quote:

I would most like to see HyperCard, system 7.x, and a web browser opensourced

Agreed on the open source bit, but I would be happy to see System 7.1 released as binaries.

quote:

it's the flash, shockwave and the other silly thigns that make them choke.

Maybe, but a 68k browser without those plugins is still pretty slow. My running theory is it's all those tables and chopped up images they use for formatting that the browser has trouble untangling. Even a text mode browser, like links (links.browser.org) is pretty slow on
an old Unix box (like a 486).

But you're right about one thing: a programmer which tried to make it run on a Quadra would go a long way.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  15:49:16
quote:

Agreed on the open source bit, but I would be happy to see System 7.1 released as binaries.

They can't, because they use third party code in it.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  17:04:00
quote:

They can't, because they use third party code in it.

I can see 7.1 Pro including third party code, but what about the stripped version of 7.1 which shipped with many Macs? It doesn't look much different from 7.5.5, without many, meany features.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  17:50:24
I'm not sure either, but apparently it did ship with some third party code.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  08:02:22
quote:

Apple has an open source browser, it's called safari

Actually, that isn't the case, its just the renderer that is OSS, safari is as open source as OW4.5.
quote:

on a more serious note though, I would have to say that it would be ubercool if apple could release moer of it's stuff to open source (can any one say open source 7.5?)

I would higly doubt they will ever OS [i]any verstions of their software, it just isn't feasible, I would rather that they make it easier to boot linux, however I doubt that will happen also.
quote:
I would most like to see HyperCard, system 7.x, and a web browser opensourced...

IMHO, it's not that the older computers can't render newer pages, it's that noone's tried to make them...

iCab is the only browser for the 68k that has a chance, and even then it sucks with CSS.
quote:

I bet that a higher end Quadra could easily render just about anything, but it's the flash, shockwave and the other silly thigns that make them choke.

Indeed, and with the ever increasing move to flash, those who browse on 68ks (and early ppcs) will soon be left in the dust.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.