All Forums
 PowerBook
 PB 500 batteries - cold & undead
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  01:47:19
Hi all. I've been working for a couple days on an update to my 500-series fan page, addressing battery issues. I've worked with about 10 batteries at this point, and though most were 'dead' when I first popped them in, none stayed dead. By the time I'd fiddled with them, most became somewhat usable (1 to 45 minutes). Last night, for instance, I took two batteries that none of the utilities could get any response from. I refrigerated them for a couple of hours and then tried again. Both batteries came to life and now one holds about 20 minutes. It doesn't sound like much, but it can be nice, especially when you're not interested in buying a new battery. I'd appreciate anyone's experiences on this issue.

http://www.viclink.com/home/poletti/pb500/batteries.html

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  02:01:23
Nice! Its great to hear that some of the old 500 series batts are still alive!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  03:16:03
there was a 500 series PB with a dead batt… I wonder how well this would work for it… ^_^

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

triumph_larry

USA
54 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  13:21:02
Hmmm, someone gave me a Type 4 Duo batter that didn't even register as inserted. I wonder if that will be enough to fix it.

---
The problem with computers is they do exactly what you tell them to. Now where's that fuggin 'any' key?

Macs liberated thus far: SE-30, Performa 6320CD, Duo 280c and Powerbook 100.Go to Top of Page

Jaz
Starting Member

6 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  12:17:03
Hi Sheygoth

Nice tip - I dropped two of my previously unrecognised dud 500 series batts in the chest freezer for a couple of hours. After using the Apple battery updater they hold about 20 mins charge each! Not much, I know, but better than nothing as you say!

Go to Top of Page

pbcollector
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  16:31:57
It's cool to see the battery refrigeration trick in action. I've been told that cold temps decrease internal resistance making it easier for the battery to accept charge.

With a 12V AC/DC adapter, voltmeter, and creative wiring using alligator clips and thin pieces of metal, you can find out if your PB500 battery is on its last legs or has much more to offer.

I use the alligator clips to hook up to an a AC/DC 12V adapter that supplies between 0.5-1.0 amps, then use thin pieces of metals to insert it into the battery terminals on the battery, and hook up a voltmeter in parallel. If the battery was just "dead" from being stored for a while, you'll see the voltage rise dramatically up to 9-10 volts or so when hooked up to the 12V DC source. It'll stay between 9-10 volts but rise very slowly, which means the battery is showing healthy internal resistance (and it's quite usable).

If the battery is on its last legs, you'll see the voltage rise stop for a while between 0-9 volts. This is caused by one or more shorted cells. If you are lucky, it'll eventually rise to 9-10 volts. You'll then want to disconnect the 12V source to see if the voltage will drop quickly. If it does, the shorted cells can't hold charge anymore. If it doesn't then you have a good chance of reviving the battery by cycling (complete charge and discharge) it.

Otherwise, your battery will get stuck between 0 to 9 volts, depending on how many shorted cells are permanently dead.

If the battery rises to 11-12 volts (or higher) quickly, then most of the cells no longer hold charge, so it's time to rebuild or replace it. (Caveat: fully charged battery is at 11-12 volts, but it should already be there, not rise to it) I suggest that you keep the old battery or give it to someone who can rebuild it, since you don't want the EMM (the small logic board inside the battery) to be lost forever in a landfill.

And this works for Duo batteries also. Instead of a 12V source, though, you'll need a 16+ volts source since healthy Duo batteries usually reside at 13-14 volts.

----
Liberated Portables & Powerbooks:
M5120 M5126 M1506 M5409 M4990 M7940 M7777(2) M4880(2)
Go to Top of Page

seta-san
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  03:35:46
Jaz, i'm sure you can get more. Completely discharge the batteries and recharge. Keep doing this until you get about a 1.5-2 hour charge.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  03:49:50
oooh. time for me to pop in with the ever-interesting photo-to-accompany the story

http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/aav

Two 540c batteries. One not so healthy =)

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  08:56:38
quote:

oooh. time for me to pop in with the ever-interesting photo-to-accompany the story

http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/aav

Two 540c batteries. One not so healthy =)

dana

OT, whats up with Danamania.com? Its now pointing at a news.com article on "Sooty McHampster"

Very bizarre

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  10:01:32
quote:

OT, whats up with Danamania.com? Its now pointing at a news.com article on "Sooty McHampster"

Very bizarre

That was a birthday present for a friend in the netherlands. She has a pet Hamster named - Sooty =). The news article is just a .gif, clickable through to the rest of the site.

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.