All Forums
 Trading Post! (Buy, sell & trade)
 *Step Intel, anyone?
Author Topic  
kors
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  04:06:03
Hi people, I'm eager to trade any (or all :) of the sw I have for the *step installaion CD image for intel (OpenStep 4.2 would be great! And development tools included would be even better :).
What do I have:
--- Coherent 3.x for Intel. (For those who do not know - fully fledged *nix system. Works well on 386SX/25 with 4Mb of RAM. Fits in 40Mb well. ) Everything is there - X11R5, compiler, (SIC!!!) kernel source, documentation, updates.
--- OS/2 Warp 3.0. I suppose you know what that is. (Russian localised version :)
--- WineX 2.1.1 - A bit outdated, but completely usable for a little older linux system on P1/PII for running windoze games (intel ONLY!).
--- CDE 1.1/Motif/Accelerated X-4.1 for FreeBSD/i386 (a.out, but works on 4.x). Rocks. :)
^^^^
that is what I'm running now on the old box I'm planning for openstep - Intel TC440HX/P166/96M/6Gb/ATI Mach64-GT

Reason to look for openstep - I'm using windowmaker for >4 years, now I want to see the legend incarnate, the development tools, and that GUI Development tools/API the guys from GNUStep are striving to clone for 10 years.
Thanks in advance.

A unixoid attracted to 68k by *Step

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  05:21:57
I have what you are looking for, but have no way of getting it to you at the moment since the server that contains the full backups of my archive is currently offline, since it is located near a forestfire, and the owner has been placed on evacuation alert. So, the server was unplugged and placed in transport just in case.

When I can get back in I will let you know, but untill then it all depends how the fires go, because if the fire consumes the houses, even though the server will hopefully be safe, it won't be geting online for a bit.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  05:52:36
Are you talking about like... that fire in Shoreline, WA or on the shoreline of WA?

you live in canada don't you?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  08:20:09
Keep in mind that downloading NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is only legal if you own the original CDs or if you own NeXT black hardware.

Check the 68kMLA Hotline server. OS 4.2 user image is there.

If that's down, go to http://www.tracker-tracker.com/ and do a server search for nextstep. Should be a couple servers there that have it.

I don't know where to find the dev tools for 4.2; I only have them for 3.3.

OS 4.2 should do fine on your hardware. 3.3 is good if you're running on a NeXT, but it doesn't support some newer software (like OmniWeb 3).

That box looks about right for OpenStep. See my webpage at http://free.hostdepartment.com/o/openstep/ for an installation and configuration walkthrough.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  14:25:43
My server has the modules for development including FireWire, USb and whatnot drivers for the platform and Developer tools.

:)

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  17:46:21
What is the address for your server? I tried the earlier one you had listed, but it didn't work.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  18:09:19
UPDATE:

The Kelowna fire is now threatening the entire Kelowna community and as such, many residents including the server owner are now on evacuation as of last night. Over 25 homes are already burned to the ground, so it is my hope that the server box made it out ok.

All servers are down and won't be back untill this fire is over.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.