All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Ultimate Browser Surf-Off, Round II
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  01:09:55
After 2 months in rural Nicaragua where the highest-tech items I ever saw were the 2 cell phones in the town (after that, it's a tie between the one TV and the one truck), I'm finally getting around to my lower-end browser test. Here's the basic data:

-Quadra 660av (stock 25mhz)
-System 7.1
-OpenTransport 1.2

This seemed like a pretty good setup to test browsers that one might use on a slower 040 Quadra/LC/Performa. The results may be quite different than the 840av running 8.0. Of course, I am also using different browsers.

-Netscape 2.02 (with defrost extension)
-Netscape 3.04 gold (with defrost extension -- necessity unknown)
-IE 2.1
-IE 3.01
-IE 4.01 (I'm pretty sure this will run on 7.1...I haven't downloaded it yet)
-MacWeb 2.0c (why not!)
-Mosaic 3.0b4 (worth a try!)
-iCab 2.9.5

Netscape 4.08 requires 7.6.1, but who would really try that on a Centris 610? For that matter, IE 4 doesn't look like it will stand much chance, judging by its less-than-lightning performance on the 840av test (though the reliability that earned it the recommendation may pull it through). iCab seems to have the most cards stacked against it at the get-go, given its horrible speed tests in the earlier trial. We'll see the results soon. Well, I take that back -- I have 8 (7?) browsers this time and school is about to start. I'll do my best.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  05:05:01
Sounds god so far. Netscape Gold 3.04 actually I found (as stated before) to give the best performance. It perhaps is the featureless yet speedy version.

Although sadly some pages can cause it to crash.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  07:52:38
When my iMac was down, Netscape 4 rocked on my LC475.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  10:57:53
I've always used IE and OE 4.0 on my P578 (max ram, 8.1 etc etc) and on my 840av (64mb/OS8.1)

I haven't much tried out many older browsers on older computers though...

(MLAgazine plug time)
of COURSE I'd love it if I could publish your findings in the MLAgazine!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  11:54:06
Sure, publish whatever you want. Did you run the first browser test? It's on the website.

Yeah, Netscape 3.04 gold is damn fast, but it crashed so much on the 840av that I couldn't stand it. We'll see how it works on 7.1 with the Netscape Defrost extension. Netscape 4 can fairly fast, as I found on the 840av, but it was frequently outpaced by NS 3 and (if I remember) IE 3. It was inconsistent. IE 4 is a good choice when you have a high end machine, 8.1, RAM, etc, but this test is aimed at slower Macs, so I don't think it's going to come out on top. It's not always horribly slow, but it can be. Again, very inconsistent It's a good balance between speed, features and reliability.

I'm interested to see just how bloated these browsers got by testing the version 2 brethren. I'm not hopeful for the reliability of those, though. The javascript support is looking doubtful. But then again, on slower machines, you might limit your surfing to more basic sites. We'll see. Should I use the same set of sites that I ran before, or should I cut out some of the slower, more complicated ones, like CNN?

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  14:18:36
As always, test www.apple.com

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  13:30:03
This is allways really good research to have, indeed invaluable.

quote:
As always, test www.apple.com

Erm no don't go anywhere near apple unless you want your computer to freeze(were talking older 68k's here)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  13:33:20
I'm pretty sure that none of the browsers I tested before froze at Apple. Those included IE 3 and NS 3. We'll see. I'll try to do some of this testing today. I want to do it in large blocks so that the site traffic can be assumed to be the same. I'm sure that NYTimes.com doesn't get a lot of hits when it's nighttime in nearly all of the English-speaking world. Well, I guess I can't be sure, but it makes sense. Is that a popular paper outside of the US, even? I can't see why it would be. Anyway, I'll start with some of the sites I'm sure that I want to use and save the rest for after I get some input. Here's the list that I used for the other test:

Apple
New York Times
eBay
CNN
Adobe
Everymac
68K MLA Forums
Google search
Load big image from LAN (OS X) webserver

CNN, eBay and the Times caused a lot of problems or were really, really slow, so I may cut those out on the assumption that slower macs should stick to what they can handle. Otherwise, any favorite sites I should hit or ones I should dump?

{ candyPunk }

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  19:37:08
ok, I'll have a look at the MLA website and find the first one...

Due to "Severe Lack of Content Syndrome" (SLoCS), I haven't been able to publish the first issue yet.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2003 :  00:35:49
Well there's a ton a stuff to print from my first test -- I've got graphs, tables, writing. All kinds of fun stuff. Here's a bit of news/advice: if anyone was thinking about trying Macweb because I brought it up, please don't. It's really terrible. I'm not testing it anymore. Also, IE 2 is sort of messed up. I'll detail all of it in my report. I'll write more this time. Oh, you know what? Let me revise my first test summary before you print it. I can write better than that. That is, I can write MORE than that.

{ candyPunk }

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  11:01:06
You have all the time you need, do you get on AIM ever?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  22:16:04
This information would prove very valuable for The Repository, which aims to tell users about software compatibility, speed etc. It would be a good reference for users to use if they are unsure which browser to use on an older Macintosh.

Can I get permission to create charts based on the data you have provided and post the results into the database?

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  13:06:36
Uh, yeah, sure. What's the Repository? Also, if you don't want to make your own, I already posted charts on the site for the first browser test. As for the second, I plan to do the same, unless yours will be better. I just used Excel.

{ candyPunk }

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  11:00:50
I know that Catsdorule started a "Macintosh Info Repository" almost a full year ago, and that project is still COMPLETELY active (I dont' have the link to it at the moment, but whenever I can get my server up, it'll be there)

Are you trying to have a nonlinear version of the MLAgazine on the internet tBoJ?

that is to say... mostly everything that I've said would go good in MLAgazine, you've also wanted for "repository"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  19:38:27
I'm going to say this nicely Cory, you've been a little on edge regarding this "Repository" thing for a bit now, having mentioned it in 3 threads. If you have a question or want answers, you have both my AIM and e-mail addres. Use them.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.