All Forums
 PowerBook
 PRAM fix from Radio Shack?
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  21:30:07
Hi. I noticed this guy saying he fixed the PRAM on a 540c with a cheap little battery from Radio Shack.

http://www.cristhomas.com/540c/540c.html

Has anybody done this, or know which battery could be used for this little operation?

--Jon

herman
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2003 :  10:50:02
In his first paragraph, he says,
"I suppose I could have used a 180c but I couldn't bring myself to use 68030 technology. 040 was bad enough."
Get out your 2' x 4" !

Go to Top of Page

mobilepet
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2003 :  08:39:53
I have done this three times so far. You can use any battery that is a 3 Volt coin cell. However, you need to get the ones that have little solder tabs spot-welded onto them. Don't try soldering to a battery. I have read that they will explode, but I definitely believe that it can ruin the battery.

The original spec battery for a Perimiter RAM battery is a Panasonic VL2330.

On 3V lithium coin cells, the number indicates diameter in mm and thickness in mm. 2330 = 23mm diameter, 30mm thick.

"VL" probably means Very Long lasting or something. ANY 3v battery THAT WILL FIT IN THERE is fine! The two letters mean nothing (drain rate) so just pick some that will fit - the thicker the battery means the longer the life. That's it! Be sure to note the polarity of the batteries on the original PRAM batt and tape them lightly when finished.

mobilepet
][GS Q650 Q950 PB520 PB520c Perf438 PPC7100 ...

Bart, It's ME.
petlabGo to Top of Page

mobilepet
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  07:01:49
CORRECTION: I found out that the original batteries are RECHARGEABLE. Theoretically, putting non-rechargeable batteries in could make them blow up. I have ordered some rechar' batteries just to be safe.

Bart, It's ME.
petlabGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.