All Forums
 68k Software
 networking with OS X?
Author Topic  
sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  03:18:16
Hi - I've been trying to network via ethernet crossover cable a Powerbook 540 (running 7.5.3 or 8.0) with an iMac running 10.2.6. I get as far as seeing the other computer in the Chooser (or Connect to Server window) and then the error message - "A connection failure has occurred."

I saw Apple had a support document for this (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106659) saying that you have to give the pre-X system an IP address. But I've tried everything I can see to put in various numbers and only seem to make it worse.

Does anyone have a system for dealing with this? I'd be so grateful.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  04:58:04
You haven't done anything wrong, its a glitch in OS X's AppleTalk implementation. I can't seem to connect to my iMac from any of my older machines either, regardless of whether the iMac si running 10.1 or Jaguar. Methinks its a sign that Apple's trying to force us to dump our older stuff for new Macs runnign OS X!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  17:14:59
quote:

Does anyone have a system for dealing with this? I'd be so grateful.

Gah! I just wrote out a reply that explained how it all works, and the damned server had a cow on me and didn't take the message.

In any case, you can give the powerbook a TCP/IP addy on the same address range as the OSX machine, which will enable filesharing over TCP (which is what OSX uses only, by default) or you can enable appletalk filesharing on the OSX side

to enable the OSX appletalk filesharing, turn on the "Make Appletalk Active" - which I would guess you already have if the 540 is seeing the imac server to even begin a connection, but that only enables OSX to say "hey I'm here!" in appletalk, but not do the actual sharing, which is why the connection failure error appears.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/osx.html has more instructions on how to get the appletalk filesharing to also work (which is the glitch maclover5 is talking about). specifically the bit that mentions:

"You will need to enable AppleShare via AppleTalk in Mac OS X 10.1.x Use the NetInfo Manager application and go to /config/AppleFileServer. Modify the attribute "use_appletalk" from 0 to 1. Restart file sharing in the System Preferences."

the use_appletalk flag is there in my 10.2.6 as well, so I presume it should work ok with it too. I used that setting with my iMac to allow some older macs to connect just via appletalk without using tcp, and it worked just fine. The article on that site goes on to mention using other software for setting up sharepoints and making a system6 compatible mac work with OSX, but from memory I didn't have to do that.

The advantage to doing things this way is then ANY old mac can connect to the OSX iMac. Way useful, that.

appletalk filesharing gets about 300kb/sec btw - whereas AFP (appleshare filing protocol) over tcp gets more like 800kb/sec. Not too much of a difference when it comes to the kind of filesizes and disk access speeds a 68k gets!

hope that helps
dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  18:11:23
Cool! Thanks for that, Dana!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  18:43:38
quote:

the use_appletalk flag is there in my 10.2.6 as well, so I presume it should work ok with it too. I used that setting with my iMac to allow some older macs to connect just via appletalk without using tcp, and it worked just fine. The article on that site goes on to mention using other software for setting up sharepoints and making a system6 compatible mac work with OSX, but from memory I didn't have to do that.

The advantage to doing things this way is then ANY old mac can connect to the OSX iMac. Way useful, that.

Legend!
I had given up all hope of getting "classic" AppleTalk to work with OS X.
Thanks, Dana!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  20:15:18
As well if you have a Hub or other device and can get all your macs IP addresses, a simple ftp server will do the trick (or hotline).

That's how I do machine to machine transfers and I get around 600KB/s.

:)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  02:22:58
quote:

I had given up all hope of getting "classic" AppleTalk to work with OS X.

So had I. I thought it was a way of Apple trying to get us to buy more Macs with OS X.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

sheygoth
Starting Member

28 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  02:33:09
Hey thanks! That worked really well. Just change the value in NetInfo Manager and simple filesharing works.

Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  05:54:42
quote:

As well if you have a Hub or other device and can get all your macs IP addresses, a simple ftp server will do the trick (or hotline).

That's how I do machine to machine transfers and I get around 600KB/s.

Yes, I have an ADSL router which can assign IP's via DHCP, but I have them set as static. So I have 2 Macs, my Risc PC and my WinXP box connected to this. I have Netpresenz running on my 475. Its accessible from externally aswell, which is dead handy. I keep often-used files on the drive, and then if I'm at work and need a file, I can just FTP in and grab it :)

If I'm working on my XP or RISC OS box, I keep my files in one place, then at the end of a session I run a script to upload new/changed files to the 475 (by giving it the static IP 10.0.0.18 - I know its never going to change)

I should really set up some SAMBA servers, but I've not got round to it yet!

Jobf
Go to Top of Page

Greg Hunt
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  13:43:59
Ok I have this working with my normal version of Mac OS X 10.2 and my 68k, but will this fix work with Mac OS X 10.2 Server?

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.